follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #29
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
This will be something I need to drill into my brain constantly. I've heard that a bigger front rollbar helps with the 91s. That is probably going to be my first upgrade. That and better intercooler piping , t-bolt clamps, and little stuff that that.

I'm already very impressed by the car stock.
If you decide to go with a larger front sway bar then you will want to consider reinforcing the front sway bar mounts. I had a Gen 2 MR2 that was autocrossed with a large front sway bar and it tore the mounting brackets free of the chassis. At the time, I was told it was a common problem with the car and that everyone reinforced them when switching bars.
funwheeldrive (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #30
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Damn. Now I'm finding myself looking on Autotrader for SW20s. Might not be a good idea with Toronto winters (although I've seen one black SW20 puttering around downtown well into November/December.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #31
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
If you decide to go with a larger front sway bar then you will want to consider reinforcing the front sway bar mounts. I had a Gen 2 MR2 that was autocrossed with a large front sway bar and it tore the mounting brackets free of the chassis. At the time, I was told it was a common problem with the car and that everyone reinforced them when switching bars.
Thanks for the advice. What was your overall opinion on your MR2 during your ownership? How are you liking the Spyder? I've never driven one, but I've always wanted to. I still remember this article from SCC and being impressed by the platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Damn. Now I'm finding myself looking on Autotrader for SW20s. Might not be a good idea with Toronto winters (although I've seen one black SW20 puttering around downtown well into November/December.

I've read online that rust was an issue with the SW20, I'm not sure if that's true or not. There are a couple small spots of surface rust on mine that I need to take care of ASAP.

I'm in the process of moving so I've been busy, but I finally got around to cleaning up the car a little. The tires all needed air and the driver's seat bolts needed tightening. The engine is healthy, but I'm thinking of running a bottle of Seafoam in the car. Anyone have opinions on that stuff? The interior cleaned up really well. I have always been a sucker for blue interiors. If I ever bought a new GTO or S2000 it would need to have blue interior.

funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #32
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. What was your overall opinion on your MR2 during your ownership? How are you liking the Spyder? I've never driven one, but I've always wanted to. I still remember this article from SCC and being impressed by the platform.

I've read online that rust was an issue with the SW20, I'm not sure if that's true or not. There are a couple small spots of surface rust on mine that I need to take care of ASAP.

I'm in the process of moving so I've been busy, but I finally got around to cleaning up the car a little. The tires all needed air and the driver's seat bolts needed tightening. The engine is healthy, but I'm thinking of running a bottle of Seafoam in the car. Anyone have opinions on that stuff? The interior cleaned up really well. I have always been a sucker for blue interiors. If I ever bought a new GTO or S2000 it would need to have blue interior.

I ran seafoam on a 160k km Celica GT. I can't say it did much except smoke ALOT.

daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:28 PM   #33
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
My second generation MR2 was normally aspirated and to be honest, I thought it was kind of a dog. I was coming from an Acura Integra GSR and loved the high RPM of the VTEC. The MR2 ran out of steam about where the Integra really started to go. I, like just about everyone else, loved the mini-Ferrari styling of the thing. I never had issues with the snap-oversteer that the cars are supposedly famous for but it also never had a stock suspension set-up while I had it.

Keep an eye on the oil in the thing. Mine went to my son who ran it out of oil and bricked the engine.

The MR2 Spyder that I currently own has been in my possession longer than any other car that I have owned in my 64 year old lifetime. That should tell you a lot about how much I like it. It was a good car when it had the 1ZZ engine in it. It is a much better car with the 2ZZ engine in it. It is light and nimble and quick. Everything the 2nd gen (N/A) was not. I know a lot of people dislike the looks of it but the hardtop does a lot to improve that. It makes me smile and chuckle to myself when people say Spyders are ugly or a girl's car because that means they do not know what they do not know. It is a car that is much more than the sum of its parts.
daiheadjai (02-12-2018), funwheeldrive (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #34
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
One time I bought a car more trucky than my twin.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #35
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Don't sea foam it. It doesn't nothing. Simple tune up with only oem parts. Don't cheap out and buy off brand. MR2s don't like them. Give it a good synthetic oil and it's good.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-12-2018)