follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #183
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Aozora
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will the sandwich plate fit on the oem forester xt cooler core?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #184
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
Before, without the dual radiator, coolant temps would hardly ever change, even out in the track, coolant temps would increase at the most by 2-3%. Now with the coolant cooling the oil, coolant temps can and will vary up to 15% from stock coolant temp.
Makes me wonder if the ecu considers coolant temp as a variable for fuel and timing
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #185
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Makes me wonder if the ecu considers coolant temp as a variable for fuel and timing
Not sure about coolant, but I've read it pulls timing if oil temp gets high.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #186
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Yes, there are coolant temp parameters for both.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #187
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawan View Post
Will the sandwich plate fit on the oem forester xt cooler core?

I guess no one knows the answer to my question?

Old 09-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #188
BRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawan View Post
I guess no one knows the answer to my question?

It would probably work but I wouldn't double up on sandwich plates.

From my experience so far, the Jackson Racing dual radiator keeps the oil temp exactly or 5-10 degrees higher than coolant temp. Using a lower temp thermostat will keep them both cool in normal or warm weather. In my case mid to high 80s (Celsius). In hot weather (+40 degrees) both temps are between 90-100 with coolant being exactly the same as oil maybe 2-3 degrees cooler at most.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #189
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
It would probably work but I wouldn't double up on sandwich plates.

From my experience so far, the Jackson Racing dual radiator keeps the oil temp exactly or 5-10 degrees higher than coolant temp. Using a lower temp thermostat will keep them both cool in normal or warm weather. In my case mid to high 80s (Celsius). In hot weather (+40 degrees) both temps are between 90-100 with coolant being exactly the same as oil maybe 2-3 degrees cooler at most.

I saw someone stack a mishimoto plate on the oem cooler core and he said it cleared the hood so that isn't the problem. I can always aluminum foil the sertab core for daily. But wondering if there could be fitment issues.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #190
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Has anyone tried fitting the mishimoto performance fans and shroud on this, or recommend any higher rates fans to couple with the radiator?

Wanting to upgrade the fans and lower fan cut in temps to 200F as well as have the fans run for about a minute or so after the car turns off.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #191
BRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
Has anyone tried fitting the mishimoto performance fans and shroud on this, or recommend any higher rates fans to couple with the radiator?

Wanting to upgrade the fans and lower fan cut in temps to 200F as well as have the fans run for about a minute or so after the car turns off.
I'm running the JDL fan shroud with their high performance fans and they are considerably less effective than the factory fans. They simply don't push as much air. At night or in places that don't see +110 degree weather they're fine. I had to install additional two in front of the condenser to compensate.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #192
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

We have run CSG shrouds with powerful fans to eliminate heat issues on *boost + E85* cars running this setup on track.

No need to run fans after the car is not running; your water pump isn't running if your engine is off.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-10-2018)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #193
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Yes, there are coolant temp parameters for both.
Are people customizing tunes for the radiator? Seems like it would cost power unnecessarily if not accounted for.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:29 AM   #194
Jo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
We have run CSG shrouds with powerful fans to eliminate heat issues on *boost + E85* cars running this setup on track.

No need to run fans after the car is not running; your water pump isn't running if your engine is off.
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't cooler coolant try to travel through the system to where it's hotter even though the pump isn't running? Kind of like a water loop heat pump but without an active pump? So technically it'll be acting as a thermosiphon. thermosiphon wiki

I could've sworn this was covered in class when I was in school.

If not than what would be the purpose of fans kicking on when the engine/car was off when I had severe overheating issues in my old R53 mini and Mk4 GTI? And what would the purpose of turbo timers be if running fans after the car is off is unnecessary?

Only reason why I'm asking is because I plan on doing engine supporting mods first before I go to the power adders. So in my mind the entire Velox AOS kit (AOS, coolant, and cam plate drainback) along with the Jackson racing dual radiator. To give me peace of mind that my motor will be operating at ideal parameters for how hard I drive my cars on a regular basis.

Then I can start thinking about either the NA package or FI, which I'm heavily leaning towards the NA package and moving on to the JSRC when I'm bored with NA

Last edited by Jo0; 09-07-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:07 AM   #195
BRX

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't cooler coolant try to travel through the system to where it's hotter even though the pump isn't running? Kind of like a water loop heat pump but without an active pump? So technically it'll be acting as a thermosiphon. thermosiphon wiki

I could've sworn this was covered in class when I was in school.

If not than what would be the purpose of fans kicking on when the engine/car was off when I had severe overheating issues in my old R53 mini and Mk4 GTI? And what would the purpose of turbo timers be if running fans after the car is off is unnecessary?

Only reason why I'm asking is because I plan on doing engine supporting mods first before I go to the power adders. So in my mind the entire Velox AOS kit (AOS, coolant, and cam plate drainback) along with the Jackson racing dual radiator. To give me peace of mind that my motor will be operating at ideal parameters for how hard I drive my cars on a regular basis.

Then I can start thinking about either the NA package or FI, which I'm heavily leaning towards the NA package and moving on to the JSRC when I'm bored with NA
Are you sure the fans were running because of the heat and not the AC on your other cars? Fans will still kick in even if the engine is off with the AC on. Of course ignition needs to be on too.

As previously said, with the water pump off the fans can't really do much. No body uses turbo timers anymore either, I've been boosted for almost two years now with oil temps almost always above 200 when turning off the engine. I just let it idle for a few seconds, mainly the time I take to take off my seatbelt and gather my stuff from the back.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:28 AM   #196
Jo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
Are you sure the fans were running because of the heat and not the AC on your other cars? Fans will still kick in even if the engine is off with the AC on. Of course ignition needs to be on too.

As previously said, with the water pump off the fans can't really do much. No body uses turbo timers anymore either, I've been boosted for almost two years now with oil temps almost always above 200 when turning off the engine. I just let it idle for a few seconds, mainly the time I take to take off my seatbelt and gather my stuff from the back.

Cars were completely off.

So I went down the research rabbit hole, thermosiphoning is real. Unsure how prominent of an effect it is for cars, but it's real.

The question now is, is it worth it?

I don't know what actual negative effects of not giving your car a proper cool down is if you're not going to be driving it again shorty after. So I guess aiding the cooling process after a spritied drive if you forget to take it easy before parking isn't a bad thing.