follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #1
Wyattkb

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Windshield Replacement

Anyone had there windshield replaced locally? Got a big crack from driving on the I-10.

Looking for a company that can install a windshield without the tint bar on top. OEM glass preferably.
Wyattkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
BobbyBlue86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyattkb View Post
Anyone had there windshield replaced locally? Got a big crack from driving on the I-10.

Looking for a company that can install a windshield without the tint bar on top. OEM glass preferably.

I've tried 4-5 different glass companies and they were all the same...

I'm on my 7th, yes 7th windshield, and its always the same.

Anyone will install OEM glass for you on request, it might just add a day or two to your appointment.

If you have the home link rear view mirror, make sure you tell them to replace that aluminum plate or your mirror will fall off. For some reason they put a very soft aluminum plate for the screws to hold on to and they are a one time use thing only.

Other than that, make sure you ask them for money back. Most of them will kick you $100. Even if you have full glass... :P
BobbyBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
g0ast

Drives: GBS Subaru BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I went through King Windshields. They're a locally owned company (I like mom-pop shops) and they're mobile if desired and they'll give you $100 with insurance. They're based in the East valley.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
King is excellent and Gerber does a decent job too.

Don't use safelite... they scratch your paint. I work for them
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
g0ast

Drives: GBS Subaru BRZ Limited A/T
Yea Safelite is a mass-advertising glass company. They advertise so often they have so many customers coming in, they don't mind if the quality goes down because of the quantity of customers coming in.

Same thing with auto body shops, the bigger ones don't care about 1 customer if there's 10 more coming in. Small private shops care about each customer.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ast View Post
Yea Safelite is a mass-advertising glass company. They advertise so often they have so many customers coming in, they don't mind if the quality goes down because of the quantity of customers coming in.

Same thing with auto body shops, the bigger ones don't care about 1 customer if there's 10 more coming in. Small private shops care about each customer.
This is true, last time they did a windshield for me they didn't get the bead along the top right at all, was all uneven. To their credit they came out right away and replaced it again and did the job right, and were completely nice about how (unnecessarily) livid I was when I called.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Nu_era

Drives: 13 FRS 10series/94 Supra Turbo 6spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you have to go Aftermarket glass, Pilkington is the way to go IMO. It just as good if not better than OEM glass. The windshield/ glass on these cars are soft and break easily IMO.

Watch out for the $100 "rebate". What ever happen to good honest work? Nothing is for free and a corner is being cut. Windshield is glass, parts , labor and now with newer cars more liability. Look for good reputable businesses with a track record of quality.

Glass has a network (Lynx) which all insurance companies use for glass claims, which is owned by Safelite. If you set a claim up with your insurance (if you have glass coverage), don't be surprised to see Safelite ready to process the claim, regardless of who you prefer to do the work. They will show up to "inspect" the vehicle and just so happen to have the glass ready to go in their van/truck. Shady tactic and I don't understand how there has not been a Class action suit against Safelite.
www.affordablewindowtinting.com<---- My services
Nu_era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
Bigedb
Banned

Drives: 2013 frs 6spd asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu_era View Post
If you have to go Aftermarket glass, Pilkington is the way to go IMO. It just as good if not better than OEM glass. The windshield/ glass on these cars are soft and break easily IMO.

Watch out for the $100 "rebate". What ever happen to good honest work? Nothing is for free and a corner is being cut. Windshield is glass, parts , labor and now with newer cars more liability. Look for good reputable businesses with a track record of quality.

Glass has a network (Lynx) which all insurance companies use for glass claims, which is owned by Safelite. If you set a claim up with your insurance (if you have glass coverage), don't be surprised to see Safelite ready to process the claim, regardless of who you prefer to do the work. They will show up to "inspect" the vehicle and just so happen to have the glass ready to go in their van/truck. Shady tactic and I don't understand how there has not been a Class action suit against Safelite.
I had safelite do mine and I didn't request OEM (I forgot) and they installed a wavy piece of crap. My insurance company told me that they would have them come out and replace it but I never got around to it.
Bigedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Wyattkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedb View Post
I had safelite do mine and I didn't request OEM (I forgot) and they installed a wavy piece of crap. My insurance company told me that they would have them come out and replace it but I never got around to it.
I ended up going with Safelite because every place I called in town did not have OEM glass or OEE glass without the tint band.

Had to call Geico to get the OEM glass through safelite but it was no big deal.

It gets installed Saturday so we will see the quality and workmanship then.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #10
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I work for safelite -- I wouldn't use them and they fucking pay me.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 AM   #11
Wyattkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
I work for safelite -- I wouldn't use them and they fucking pay me.
I'm not too concerned. I will be present during the install and will have before and after pictures. So worst case scenario I have proof of damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyattkb For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #12
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyattkb View Post
I ended up going with Safelite because every place I called in town did not have OEM glass or OEE glass without the tint band.

Had to call Geico to get the OEM glass through safelite but it was no big deal.

It gets installed Saturday so we will see the quality and workmanship then.
Sorry I didn't see this soon enough. K&B Auto Glass will use OEM-quality glass (usually PPG, which is damn good glass) without a tint band across the top. They are the only people I trust my windshield with. Local family owned.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #13
ethan160222

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Well, time for my first replacement. Are the good locals still King and K&B? And if my insurance outsources handling to Safelite should I call them first or go directly to a local shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ethan160222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
Boblhead

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan160222 View Post
Well, time for my first replacement. Are the good locals still King and K&B? And if my insurance outsources handling to Safelite should I call them first or go directly to a local shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A good chunk of insurance companies actually use safelite to file claims. Normally they just default to safelite as the glass installer. I work for SafePro auto glass, honestly you can choose whoever, most of the the companies get glass from 4 major retailers all OEE DOT certified. Depending on what you ask for APTECH,Fuyao North America & Pilkington are the major brands from our cars. Personally I have had my windshield replaced 4 times *FUCK THE 202* with FYG and have no issues as far as distortion or clearness of the glass. Depending on who your insurance company is we do offer up to $150 as a rebate including Free chip repairs & lifetime warranty
Boblhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblhead For This Useful Post:
ethan160222 (04-19-2016)