follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #85
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzr View Post
Right

So I'm trying to figure out why that would be a fail
I'm not sure either. Also, to add your also not allowed to shift while going through an intersection from a stop. Just a FYI. Suberman has answered why somewhere in one of these threads lol.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #86
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
I'm not sure either. Also, to add your also not allowed to shift while going through an intersection from a stop. Just a FYI. Suberman has answered why somewhere in one of these threads lol.
Sounds like it's just easier to get tested in an automatic just to get around the BS for manuals in y'all's country.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #87
Gords_zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Sounds like it's just easier to get tested in an automatic just to get around the BS for manuals in y'all's country.
Yup! Haha
Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #88
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yup! Haha
Here in 'murica, at least when I was a teenager and taking my driving test, there was no choice. It was an automatic. Hell, unless you want to pay for an "exotic", you can't even rent cars here through the normal folks that aren't automatic slush boxes.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #89
brzr

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
ha

curious to know why that is as well

my husband who's a manual fanatic knowitall can't answer these questions either

edit:
after some thought, this is because they wouldn't want you stalling in the middle of the intersection

Last edited by brzr; 01-27-2014 at 10:40 PM. Reason: tried to use my brain....it hurrrrrts
brzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #90
Gords_zenith

Quote:
ha

curious to know why that is as well

my husband who's a manual fanatic knowitall can't answer these questions either

edit:
after some thought, this is because they wouldn't want you stalling in the middle of the intersection
Haha. Ya, I'll buy that.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #91
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
^ Just referring the book "The Official Driver's Handbook", 2002 printed by Ontario Government. The same paragraph is used for driving through intersection or turning left or right on intersections:

Gears: In a vehicle with manual transmission, do not shift gears crossing the intersection. If you need to, you may shift gears immediately after the vehicle is moving, but before it is well into the intersection. You may also shift gears in an intersection wider than four lanes if not doing so would slow down other traffic. Generally, not changing gears gives you more control over your vehicle.

Luckily I did the test in automatic transmission or otherwise I would fail the exam without having any clues...
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
Gords_zenith (01-28-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #92
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
^ Just referring the book "The Official Driver's Handbook", 2002 printed by Ontario Government. The same paragraph is used for driving through intersection or turning left or right on intersections:

Gears: In a vehicle with manual transmission, do not shift gears crossing the intersection. If you need to, you may shift gears immediately after the vehicle is moving, but before it is well into the intersection. You may also shift gears in an intersection wider than four lanes if not doing so would slow down other traffic. Generally, not changing gears gives you more control over your vehicle.

Luckily I did the test in automatic transmission or otherwise I would fail the exam without having any clues...
I agree with the book - I am trying to visualize why on earth you would be shifting from 1st to 2nd in the middle of the intersection.

Scenario #1: Starting off the line from a red to a green.
Usually I shift to second by the time I am hitting the border of the intersection on the opposite side.

Scenario #2: Starting off the line from a red to a green and turning left.
Usually I shift to second by the time I have already turned and hitting the border of the intersection to the left.

Scenario #3: Starting off the line from a red, turning right.
I come to a stop. Downshift to first, check the intersection and if clear to go, I accelerate and turn into road. I shift into second pretty much when I've completed the turn.

I can't see why I would be shifting from 1st to 2nd in mid intersection from a standstill start.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #93
Want.FR-S

Quote:
My question is something that I read somewhere
If you are stopped at a stoplight and you keep your car in neutral would that be an automatic fail for a license?
And why would that be?
All I can think of is that you wouldn't be as quick to react in case something comes up vs to having it in 1st already?
I could not find any reference in the "Handbook" w.r.t. this aspect. However, it did say that when approaching to a stop with manual transmission you need to gear down prior to stop. Pressing clutch and coasting is not allowed, and could be an automatic fail in G2 driving test.

... excerpt from the book.

Do not coast with your foot on the clutch pedal.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #94
Want.FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I agree with the book - I am trying to visualize why on earth you would be shifting from 1st to 2nd in the middle of the intersection.

Scenario #1: Starting off the line from a red to a green.
Usually I shift to second by the time I am hitting the border of the intersection on the opposite side.

Scenario #2: Starting off the line from a red to a green and turning left.
Usually I shift to second by the time I have already turned and hitting the border of the intersection to the left.

Scenario #3: Starting off the line from a red, turning right.
I come to a stop. Downshift to first, check the intersection and if clear to go, I accelerate and turn into road. I shift into second pretty much when I've completed the turn.

I can't see why I would be shifting from 1st to 2nd in mid intersection from a standstill start.
What RPM when you shift from 1st to 2nd gear? I typically shift at 3K and that gets me to shift during the intersection rather than the end. Granted I shift in the middle of intersection but I did not slow down or cause slow down. But I need to observe more carefully next time I am in the intersection.....
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #95
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
I could not find any reference in the "Handbook" w.r.t. this aspect. However, it did say that when approaching to a stop with manual transmission you need to gear down prior to stop. Pressing clutch and coasting is not allowed, and could be an automatic fail in G2 driving test.

... excerpt from the book.

Do not coast with your foot on the clutch pedal.

If you ever pop your gear in neutral at a stop, you will fail - if you took it when I did. They want you to ALWAYS be in 1st at a stop in case you need to move out of the way suddenly. Had a friend who failed it back in 96 - there was a section on the paper that says something along the lines of "Failed to remain in gear at stop" or something. Could be different now.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
brzr (01-28-2014), Want.FR-S (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #96
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
What RPM when you shift from 1st to 2nd gear? I typically shift at 3K and that gets me to shift during the intersection rather than the end. Granted I shift in the middle of intersection but I did not slow down or cause slow down. But I need to observe more carefully next time I am in the intersection.....
I usually shift around 3k - keep in mind, I am referring to my daily driver in my signature.

3k from 1st means I am usually around 25-30km/hr. Given that the car is no rocket, I usually am cleared across.

I will check and give you specifics on tomorrow morning's commute.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #97
Want.FR-S

Quote:
If you ever pop your gear in neutral at a stop, you will fail - if you took it when I did. They want you to ALWAYS be in 1st at a stop in case you need to move out of the way suddenly. Had a friend who failed it back in 96 - there was a section on the paper that says something along the lines of "Failed to remain in gear at stop" or something. Could be different now.
That is good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
I usually shift around 3k - keep in mind, I am referring to my daily driver in my signature.

3k from 1st means I am usually around 25-30km/hr. Given that the car is no rocket, I usually am cleared across.

I will check and give you specifics on tomorrow morning's commute.
Funny though as I *think* I shift at 3K from 1st to 2nd, but almost all the time when I shift in a 4 lanes intersection I am always shifting in the intersection. Maybe I short-shift it...
Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #98
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting. This is not required by our drivers test handbook.

In the UK, if you are stopped for any length of time you must switch off the engine and apply the handbrake.

Wonder where those driving instructors expect you to move to "suddenly" if you're stopped in a line of traffic at a red light.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote