follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #15
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsReiko View Post
Which component of your exhaust is causing your rasp?

In the end, I went with a catless Tomei EL header to pair with my stock over/front pipe and Perrin 2.5 resonated catback. From the single youtube video on earth that you can find with this setup, it sounds like it will increase volume but still have zero rasp, which I did not previously know was possible with a catless header.

I'm in this mostly for sound, but hopefully this will also increase performance a bit since I'm already running e85 on stock 2017 headers.
I can’t say for sure. But I feel that I get more rasp as the exhaust heats up. It’s weird and could be nothing, but If I go on a spirited drive, I get less rasp at the beginning of the drive then at the end. It is also more rasp when I really get on it. It’s like a get a little rasp at first but then is fine. If the windows are closed I don’t notice it, only with windows open. Sometimes I get a little during a shift. I was thinking it was the Q300 getting louder or the package material changing over time. But can’t say for sure. I really need to have my wife do some drive-byes so that I can hear it from outside. I punched it once in a tunnel and it was very noticeable as it reverberated off the wall. I guess you could say it’s a work in progress.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #16
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I can’t say for sure. But I feel that I get more rasp as the exhaust heats up. It’s weird and could be nothing, but If I go on a spirited drive, I get less rasp at the beginning of the drive then at the end. It is also more rasp when I really get on it. It’s like a get a little rasp at first but then is fine. If the windows are closed I don’t notice it, only with windows open. Sometimes I get a little during a shift. I was thinking it was the Q300 getting louder or the package material changing over time. But can’t say for sure. I really need to have my wife do some drive-byes so that I can hear it from outside. I punched it once in a tunnel and it was very noticeable as it reverberated off the wall. I guess you could say it’s a work in progress.
Haha yea, heat for sure plays a role with exhaust volumes. My catback sounds fairly nice and aggressive when the car is still coldish, after driving for awhile on a hot day, I almost can't hear it anymore. I also hear every little clunk when I'm next to a wall, I learned to ignore all of that.

Wish I had someone close to me that knew how to drive stick so I can hear how my car sounds from 3rd person, since here in America most don't know how.
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote