follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 AM   #15
AppleSauce

Drives: FR-S black. Buell XB12s 25th anniv.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i have nearly the same exhaust setup. only difference is i have 3.0" perrin resonated catback. absolutely love the sound and noise levels. its not ridiculously loud but u know people are hearing u when u want them to. im waiting for edelbrock to release their SC. i think it will be a fun system with power from the get go.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #16
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Stars View Post
EVO?
350z/370z?
Wrx/STi?
Focus ST?

Maybe others can chime in on this?
A CARB JRSC will walk:

- Stock EVO
- Stock 350Z/370z
- Stock WRX/STI
- Stock Focus ST

It is about even with:

- bolted EVO on pump
- Flashed/bolted 370z
- fully bolted STI on pump
- Fully bolted ST
- E9x M3

It will lose to:

- Any factory FI car on E85
- F80
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
10Stars (08-21-2015), bedabi (08-21-2015), drewbot (08-21-2015), DriftinFRS (08-21-2015), HachiEnam (08-21-2015), itsibarra (08-21-2015), JS + BRZ (08-21-2015), juliog (08-21-2015), MisterSheep (07-14-2017), Phantobe (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 02:25 AM   #17
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
A CARB JRSC will walk:

- Stock EVO
- Stock 350Z/370z
- Stock WRX/STI
- Stock Focus ST

It is about even with:

- bolted EVO on pump
- Flashed/bolted 370z
- Fully bolted ST
- E9x M3

It will lose to:

- F80
Straight line or track comparison O_o

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:40 AM   #18
10Stars

Drives: 14 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
A CARB JRSC will walk:

- Stock EVO
- Stock 350Z/370z
- Stock WRX/STI
- Stock Focus ST

It is about even with:

- bolted EVO on pump
- Flashed/bolted 370z
- Fully bolted ST
- E9x M3

It will lose to:

- F80
Dang and that is with the carb tune!? I was gonna ask about a JRSC with bolt ons but yeah that is more than enough for me.

Thanks CSG always helpful here on the forums
10Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:25 AM   #19
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Straight line or track comparison O_o
This is in a straight line, with stock wheels and tires, from a roll.

You have to remember that while every car listed has more power and torque, the FRS/BRZ is a much, much lighter car, in some cases, 1000+ lbs lighter.

It's the exact reason a ND Miata is faster than an FRS, stock for stock, with only 155hp.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
drewbot (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #20
autograph

Drives: 6MT Hot Lava
Quote:
First off thanks for the review. What gas was used on the dyno?

There is always something else that is quicker and faster. Its a never ending chase for power, chassis, balance, etc.

Humor me what other cars were popping in your head when you said there are many other cars that would murder the FRS/BRZ? I'm genuinely curious:

EVO?
350z/370z?
Wrx/STi?
Focus ST?

Maybe others can chime in on this?

I feel JRSC hit on all notes when it comes to making a good increase in power while not sacrificing reliability. I know Kraftwerks has a SC available that can make more power but that setup shreds belts left and right and has some reliability issues.

If you are going to change your catback go with Invidia Q300 or even Perrin RESONATED. Hopefully that quiets it up a bit.
no problem -- I use 93 octane. True there is always something else faster. As to your question, and also to CGS Mike's reply, its my understanding that the best number on these forums for a quarter mile in a JRSC is 13.4. I suppose a flat 13 is feasible. I've never taken my car to the strip. We don't seem to have too much data on 1/4 times.

I did have EVOs and WRXs in addition to mustang GT's in mind. Thing is, a lot of enthusiasts go after more power, and while its great that a supercharged FRS is faster than those vehicles when they're stock (except for the GT), as soon as the owner's put in the same amount of money that most FI FRS owners have, the FRS of course will lose. That's largely because, at least in the case of supercharging, it takes horsepower to make horsepower, and if you start with more, you make even more with a SC. So for instance we might go from 200 crank to 320 crank with our centrifugal setups, a GT would go from 400 (I'm just using general numbers) to 600. Our setup got 120 ponies from our money, and probably from a similar amount of money the GT got an additional 200. Its easier if you start out with more power in the first place.

Mike is right about the weight being a factor in our favor of course. I am jealous of the new miata's weight.

A quarter mile in the 13's is not particularly fast, albeit quick, by today's standards. A stock 370 has a 13.0 quarter mile -- a JRSC FRS at its best might be able to do that.

Yeah I thought about perrin resonated, not sure I like the note though.
autograph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autograph For This Useful Post:
10Stars (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #21
10Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograph View Post
no problem -- I use 93 octane. True there is always something else faster. As to your question, and also to CGS Mike's reply, its my understanding that the best number on these forums for a quarter mile in a JRSC is 13.4. I suppose a flat 13 is feasible. I've never taken my car to the strip. We don't seem to have too much data on 1/4 times.

I did have EVOs and WRXs in addition to mustang GT's in mind. Thing is, a lot of enthusiasts go after more power, and while its great that a supercharged FRS is faster than those vehicles when they're stock (except for the GT), as soon as the owner's put in the same amount of money that most FI FRS owners have, the FRS of course will lose. That's largely because, at least in the case of supercharging, it takes horsepower to make horsepower, and if you start with more, you make even more with a SC. So for instance we might go from 200 crank to 320 crank with our centrifugal setups, a GT would go from 400 (I'm just using general numbers) to 600. Our setup got 120 ponies from our money, and probably from a similar amount of money the GT got an additional 200. Its easier if you start out with more power in the first place.

Mike is right about the weight being a factor in our favor of course. I am jealous of the new miata's weight.

A quarter mile in the 13's is not particularly fast, albeit quick, by today's standards. A stock 370 has a 13.0 quarter mile -- a JRSC FRS at its best might be able to do that.

I found this:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QERcB63JbVs"]BRZ equiped with Jackson Racing Super Charger - YouTube[/ame]

Quarter mile times mean almost nothing to me but I still think that is a very respectable time for our cars that wasn't designed for straight line speed. I would think most people here on this forum bought the car because of the chassis/driving connection(ok maybe the styling as well). I know I did. Power isn't everything.

I can agree with most of those points.

You mentioned this is your first Sports Car and are fairly new to being a car enthusiast, its kinda crazy that you think that even with the JRSC with bolt ons you still don't feel it is quick enough. Perhaps maybe some track time combined with some sticky tires with would change your mind. Maybe even a different Final Drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to 10Stars For This Useful Post:
autograph (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #22
autograph

Drives: 6MT Hot Lava
Quote:
I found this:

Quarter mile times mean almost nothing to me but I still think that is a very respectable time for our cars that wasn't designed for straight line speed. I would think most people here on this forum bought the car because of the chassis/driving connection(ok maybe the styling as well). I know I did. Power isn't everything.

I can agree with most of those points.

You mentioned this is your first Sports Car and are fairly new to being a car enthusiast, its kinda crazy that you think that even with the JRSC with bolt ons you still don't feel it is quick enough. Perhaps maybe some track time combined with some sticky tires with would change your mind. Maybe even a different Final Drive.
I know 10stars, I know lol, maybe it is crazy. I already do have sticky tires (235s, potenza re-11s). Yeah lets be honest, the car's styling is a big selling point. It might not be the fastest car around but our cars sure look good And of course, they're fun
autograph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autograph For This Useful Post:
10Stars (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #23
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Your overall cost with those other cars would be much higher, so to me at least, the comparison doesn't make any sense. You could just as easily throw a GT350R into the mix, spend the same money and get great results, but it would cost you something like 2.5x more overall.

I have the Perrin system, and its nice and quiet. Quiet enough that people have asked me if the car is even on, if the car has stalled, or if I plan on getting a full exhaust. And thats with already having uel headers, a full exhaust, and of course the JR SC.

Last year, I walked away from an RS5 from a dig and an M6 from 55 on a similar setup. With my current JR setup, I think I could do it again.
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #24
10Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Your overall cost with those other cars would be much higher, so to me at least, the comparison doesn't make any sense. You could just as easily throw a GT350R into the mix, spend the same money and get great results, but it would cost you something like 2.5x more overall.

I have the Perrin system, and its nice and quiet. Quiet enough that people have asked me if the car is even on, if the car has stalled, or if I plan on getting a full exhaust. And thats with already having uel headers, a full exhaust, and of course the JR SC.

Last year, I walked away from an RS5 from a dig and an M6 from 55 on a similar setup. With my current JR setup, I think I could do it again.

I heard your exhaust setup on your build thread a while back. Jesus that sounds amazing. Makes me question if I should just stick with Perrin instead of the Q300.
The Following User Says Thank You to 10Stars For This Useful Post:
SPCorBUST (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #25
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I heard your exhaust setup on your build thread a while back. Jesus that sounds amazing. Makes me question if I should just stick with Perrin instead of the Q300.
Thanks, it seems considerably quieter with my new tune, especially in the rpm range most used for city driving.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPCorBUST For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #26
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Take it to the track. You will realize power isn't everything. You will appreciate the car for what it is really meant for.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #27
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:

I recently had a custom tune done at R/T tuning (they did a great job), and with redline limited to 7100RPM (MAF sensor apparently couldn't read past 7200RPM, so set it to 7100 for safety), I put down 270whp peak on a dynojet, with about 205wtq.
Congrats on your JR kit , I hope you'll enjoy the Rotrex setup

One thing to note though, limiting the redline due to Map sensor cannot be considered as a "good job" IMHO since the Rotrex Supercharger kits (at least the base models with pump gas power levels) like @CSG Mike mentioned your tuner should've told you to opt for an aftermarket Map sensor (if it didn't come with the kit)

you're most likely leaving some power on the table because of that and also lowering the RPM limit changes the whole character of our cars .. keep in mind we also have shorter gears compared to other cars that have similar weight/power ratio since those gears are not designed for extra power ..with the turbo where there are so many other variables changing lowering the RPM limit could be more understandable (like maxing out the injectors, boost creeps ..etc)

my suggestion would be connecting with other tuners since tune makes a big difference on driveability, throttle response (which already sux on these cars in stock form), power and most importantly the reliability.. lowering the RPM limit on the other hand is a band aid solution
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #28
ck-GT86

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S, MT
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you considered putting your stock exhaust back on? You should see how difficult it is to get under 90dB for some Laguna Seca days.

I'm surprised your tuner didn't recommend getting an upgraded MAP sensor (~$100 or less), so that you can rev to your heart's desire.
Any preferred MAP sensor you recommend?

Thanks