follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SQD's Swedish '13 GT86

Hi, I'm Robert and I'm from Sweden This post can probably be long-winded, so props to anyone who reads it all, lol

First off, this will not be a crazy build. No turbo/supercharger, no Rocket Bunny or widebody etc. Mostly smaller mods. Thing is, the 86/BRZ is not very common in the Sweden, or Europe for that matter, yet. I mean they have a following and are well liked, but there aren't many of them. This means that the aftermarket support for them is very, very small, which means either that the parts that are available cost a pretty penny, or we have to import things from the US/Japan. Problem with that is that imported parts are taxed heavily and the customs fees are ridiculous.

So yeah, if you don't have a well-paid job, modding the 86 can get pretty costly

But anyway, enough about that!

I've been in a love/hate relationship with Japanese cars since my teenage years, when I started getting really into cars. I say love/hate because while Japanese cars are absolutely my favorite, they don't really hold up to the best quality standard, when compared to say European alternatives. But, they offer so much more!

Since I don't have build threads on international forums, I thought I'd show you my previously owned Japanese cars that are worth mentioning (skipping winter beaters and daily drivers here):

1992 Nissan S13, with the CA18DET engine we get in it stock.
Note the extremely sexy temporary Volvo S40 wheels in this photo!
Had the usual mods - full exhaust, ROM-tune, CAI, BOV etc etc. Made probably around 230-ish hp?

1999 Subaru Impreza WRX
Loved this car, had a lot of HKS mods, and made 350+ hp. Had most work done except for bottom end and head mods. Turbo, headers, exhaust, Ecutek, injectors, fuel pump, clutch and so on.

2003 JDM Impreza WRX STi
The JDM STi with equal length headers, DCCD center differential, quick rack steering, short geared trans, and the super-awesome red cluster with sweep on startup, etc Loved this car too, small mods, 300+ hp. First car I used as my daily during winter too.

1999 Honda Integra Type-R DC2 w/ K20A2 engine
K-series swapped DC2R, pushing 250 hp with cams, intake, injectors, header and so on. With the coilovers and just about all arms/rods changed to adjustable ones, it was amazing to drive. But loud as fvck inside, so pretty tiring to drive long distances. Loved it though!

1990 Mazda RX-7 FC convertible
A fun car for those summer days. Stock, except for a Blitz intake and custom cat back. Had this at the same time as the Integra.

2002 Impreza WRX wagon
EJ25-swapped, Hawkeye-front end swapped and STi dash-swapped wagon. Used it as my year-round daily.

1995 Nissan S14
My longest project to date. There's probably too much to write about this, since it had work done to just about everything. Full engine rebuild for E85, with Injector Dynamics 2200cc injectors, Precision billet turbo, custom intake and exhaust manifold, headwork, Nismo twin plate clutch, Z32 trans, standalone Link G4 ECU.. On top of that, fully adjustable suspension/chassis, 18x9.5 Volk CE28Ns, Vertex bodykit, Bride seats, Hexis Frozen Grey wrap, to name some of it. Cost me so much time and money, I learned a ton, had fun with it, was pissed at it and everything in between.

Excuse the stickers, it was from when the car was exhibited at Europes largest car show for custom cars (think Europes SEMA, kind of).

It made not far from 700 hp in then end (600 at the wheels). Sold the engine later since I was going to swap in an LS1 for the driveability as a daily and peace of mind from the reliability, but after building three versions of the car, I had lost all interest in it. So, I sold the LS1, its donor car (a Camaro I bought last year) and the S14 without the engine, and got the GT86!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (08-09-2016), funwheeldrive (08-10-2015), Pat.Thornton (08-09-2016), shiumai (08-09-2015), Thefear13 (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
sqd

Okay, so now we get to what's important here - the Toyota GT86.

Ever since the car was announced I've wanted one. But again, it costs more here than in the US. A new one will set you back between 36-38k! But all GT86s have all "premium" stuff you guys get, as standard. The Toyota Touch & Go nav/touch system, leather/alcantara interior on all interior bits, HID/xenon headlights, keyless go etc.
And since I've had the Nissan plus a daily, I could in no way afford the 86. But after losing interest in the Nissan I realized that if I sell it and the engine for it, I can get a used 86!
So I started looking around, and decided from the get go that I wanted a red or a white one, and at least 2013 model so that I had at least a year left on the warranty. I found two cars that were candidates, one red and one white. The white one was more expensive by quite a bit, but this was because the red one had rock chips and door dings, plus it was about twice the distance away from me than the white one was. Like, very very far away. And the white one had slightly less mileage and the TRD front lip and springs! The owner also promised me it was free from rock chips and other defects. Turned out he wasn't lying! Car was in excellent condition, and I drove home ecstatic that I owned a car I've basically dreamt about for the past years.

First wash and the day after purchase:

Last edited by sqd; 08-10-2015 at 02:35 AM.
sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post:
Pat.Thornton (08-09-2016), Thefear13 (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
sqd

Then I started my slow, small modding journey

First I changed the shift knob to a titanium blue one, and wrapped the dash trim with carbon vinyl.
Shitty smartphone photos incoming:

Then I decided to paint the stock wheels black, since I don't really like the look of them.. but all black helped though! At least it looked ok until i got the new wheels on.

Then I did my first ever track day! I was so close to doing it with the Honda I had, but it never happened. But wow, talk about bitten by a bug! Will be going back for sure.

Then later on, it was time to deal with the suspension! Coilovers, LCAs and toe arms.

Last edited by sqd; 08-09-2015 at 10:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post:
Pat.Thornton (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
The black wheels really suit the car well, good choice!
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
sqd (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
sqd

Then it was on to some wheels. I still have the CE28Ns from the Nissan, but they definitely won't fit, being 18x9.5 +15, and 5x114.3 at that.

I have another set of 5x114.3 wheels, 18x8 and 18x9 +38 Work VS-XX's, but they were in real bad shape so I had to refurbish them.

Got all new bolts and nuts too:

Off to powdercoat, and then back for assembly resulted in this:

Got some 5x100 to 5x114.3 conversion spacers:

Since they are 20mm, I knew they wheels would be +18 when mounted, and thought I could run with that, and sure, with about 4-5 degrees of negative camber I could. But after my track day and really, appreciating the handling of the car, I realized I had to rethink this and not use the VS-XX's..

This is them mounted:

But I didn't want to run the stock wheels for the rest of the summer either. And buying a set of "real" wheels like the Volks and VS-XXs was way out of the budget right now. But I had to do something. So I came up with this - buy some cheap but decent looking wheels now, use those for the two months or so left of the summer and then when winter comes, I can put some sticky wide tires on them for the track, and maybe sell the Volks and Works and use that money to get a nice set of 5x100 Volks or Work etc for the street. Cause even if I had Volks or whatever on the car, I wouldnt run them on the track, too expensive to risk hitting the dirt with them!

So I got a set of 18x9 +40 Japan Racing JR3 wheels, TE37 reps. Then I already had a pair of new 225/40 tires, so I just got another identical pair. 225s are a bit too skinny really, but it'll have to do for now. Going for 255s next year.

I also got a HT-Auto bottom line lip kit for the sides and rear.

Last edited by sqd; 08-09-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Lonewolf (08-09-2015), Pat.Thornton (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
sqd

I also got some smoked Valentis and LED license plate lights

The Following User Says Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post:
Pat.Thornton (08-09-2016)
Old 08-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Really enjoyed the background on your previous builds, I'll be keeping an eye on this one
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cop For This Useful Post:
sqd (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
sqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop View Post
Really enjoyed the background on your previous builds, I'll be keeping an eye on this one
Thank you! Fun to have at least one or two interested in it, haha
Old 08-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
sqd

Guess I'll keep talking to myself here then.. lol :p´

Test mounting my unpainted Seidoworks whale tail (hey I made their logotyp btw)

Pat.Thornton (08-09-2016), SkAsphalt (08-19-2016)
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
icebär

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks very good!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
P3tras

Drives: Subaru BRZ '13 WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Looking good! Greetings from Lithuania!
P3tras is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P3tras For This Useful Post:
sqd (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
Fricke

Hmmm if I don't mistake, you live not far away from me
Recognize the STI hatchback.
Keep up the good work
Really a shame that I have to sell mine, do I really love my gt86.
But can't afford a trailer to drag the car with and mobile home + keeping the 86 so that I can really go all in competing in time attack
So looks like I will have to sell, and get an S2000.

But if you and your buddy's are in the neighborhood, poop in my garage for a beer and a chatt
Fricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
sqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricke View Post
Hmmm if I don't mistake, you live not far away from me
Recognize the STI hatchback.
Keep up the good work
Really a shame that I have to sell mine, do I really love my gt86.
But can't afford a trailer to drag the car with and mobile home + keeping the 86 so that I can really go all in competing in time attack
So looks like I will have to sell, and get an S2000.

But if you and your buddy's are in the neighborhood, poop in my garage for a beer and a chatt
Hey! Yeah, we've talked on Garaget once, and you've met one of close friends, Jon (drove an Audi S4 and S2) when you were here with your old Impreza I'm in Ljusdal by the way.

And thanks! I read on Club JDM about your 86! But I didn't know you had to sell it, that's a shame :/

But you're from Söderhamn right? Are there any car related events still to happen there, like a cruising or something? Would be nice to swing by for a visit
Old 08-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #14
Fricke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
Hey! Yeah, we've talked on Garaget once, and you've met one of close friends, Jon (drove an Audi S4 and S2) when you were here with your old Impreza I'm in Ljusdal by the way.

And thanks! I read on Club JDM about your 86! But I didn't know you had to sell it, that's a shame :/

But you're from Söderhamn right? Are there any car related events still to happen there, like a cruising or something? Would be nice to swing by for a visit
That's right, did goo too Ljusdal on some crusing with the 600hp STI
Haven't been around club jdm so much lately have the most up to date tred on Rejsa.nu have a feeling that even you will end up on that forum
Yes borne and raised in Soderhamn.
This Saturday actually is the summer ending crusing in Soderhamn, last year there was a sick load of cars, I will most likely not goo, have to weld in a new muffler change oil, bleed the breaks and so on for next weekends race at Karlskoga.
But my garage is djust 3min drive from the city, so if you decide to go feel free to pop in
Fricke is offline   Reply With Quote