follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #3053
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fteightysix View Post
The 20.5mm adjustment i thought was with the older small pulley setup... mine is so close running the smaller 85mm compressor pulley that i had to remove the lock nut, how much flex do you have in your belt?? when i install these i have about a 1/2" maybe of belt movement. if your running the new bigger pulleys and have 20mm of space in the adjustment bolt, you may be way to loose.. its a cogged belt it doesnt have to be as tight as a serpentine belt, but it needs to be a little snug..

-Thomas

my first setup my belt was on the lose side.. it was slapping the lower mount, once i figured it out and tightened it, i had no problems from there on out
I'm on one of the first kits with low boost pulley. It's snug but not that snug. I just don't want to wrench on it too hard.

If kraftwerks would have just told us what the belt tension needs to be instead of saying use a sonic tension meter to determine frequency which is pretty damn hard to find. I could buy a belt tensioner tool for less than $20.

Waiting on hold with kraftwerks to see if they know the actual tension value.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to post_break For This Useful Post:
industrial (02-25-2015), SPCorBUST (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #3054
post_break
Professional Smartass

Garage
UPDATE

Have I got some news for you!

So Kraftwerks says to tune the belt to 60.70hz and doing so is really difficult for the average Joe. The official machines that measure this are complicated and cost a fortune. Well not any more...

So I posted this free android app and got a chance to play with it. It's amazing. It actually works... This is for gates belts for bicycles.

Here is my first test...

Way off.

So I started to tighten the belt.

After this I locked the tensioner, fired her up, and what do you know... That sound is gone. I can also drive the car around and it doesn't really do it when taking off.

A far cry from the 21mm in the install.

Here is a video of what the belt looked like at 21mm and 23hz.

[ame]http://youtu.be/J3Z4frpBR_w[/ame]

So after all of this I think this method of belt tension should be advised.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to post_break For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-16-2015), CSG David (02-25-2015), CSG Mike (02-25-2015), glamcem (03-16-2015), industrial (02-26-2015), SPCorBUST (02-25-2015), tnle (04-02-2015), vgi (03-22-2015), Xero-Limit (02-25-2015), zoth (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #3055
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
UPDATE

So Kraftwerks says to tune the belt to 60.70hz and doing so is really difficult for the average Joe. The official machines that measure this are complicated and cost a fortune. Well not any more...

So I posted this free android app and got a chance to play with it. It's amazing. It actually works... This is for gates belts for bicycles.

Here is my first test...

Way off.

After this I locked the tensioner, fired her up, and what do you know... That sound is gone. I can also drive the car around and it doesn't really do it when taking off.

Wow... awesome post. I'll need to keep a copy of that app on my phones!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #3056
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
UPDATE

So I posted this
Here is my first test...

Way off.

The proper tool costs about $2000, but if the app works then can't argue with that. Indeed, the belt should be way looser than most folks set it to. It isn't a v-belt, so it just needs to be tight enough to seat the cogged portion securely. Based on what I see in the video, it looks to be correct.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
glamcem (03-16-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #3057
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
UPDATE

Here is my first test...

Way off.

Good find and thanks for the update. I always felt there was this delicate dance of belt slap vs. belt snap, either being too loose or too tight, with the price you pay for the decrease in noise being an increased chance of a snapped belt. If you have no issues at 19.3 then it could be a really useful addition to the first post...

Care to mention your impressions in the next vlog update?
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #3058
post_break
Professional Smartass

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Good find and thanks for the update. I always felt there was this delicate dance of belt slap vs. belt snap, either being too loose or too tight, with the price you pay for the decrease in noise being an increased chance of a snapped belt. If you have no issues at 19.3 then it could be a really useful addition to the first post...

Care to mention your impressions in the next vlog update?
Yeah the belt is definitely louder at idle now, but I'll take idle belt whine over that grinding sound at start up. The belt still has a lot of deflection, it's not super tight to the point where I think I'm going to break it.

I need to get some logs to moto-mike now that I'm full of e-85 but his tune has been rock solid.

If Kraftwerks did the math and came up with 60hz then the belt shouldn't break where it's set now. I trust this application since it's basic math to determine the sound wave.

One thing that does bother me though, the tensioner system really sucks on my kit. I over tightened it accidentally and loosening it was a chore. I had to hammer the thing with a piece of wood very hard to make it move at all. I applied some grease to the tracks to see if that would help but it didn't seem to help. Maybe the tolerances are too tight when it's cold.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #3059
kombatlion
Life to short to be slow!

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I will be buying in a couple of months, do you guys have any problems? did it works better with a aftermarket header than stock? I have ultimate racing 3" exhaust with 3" overpipe.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #3060
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
The proper tool costs about $2000, but if the app works then can't argue with that. Indeed, the belt should be way looser than most folks set it to. It isn't a v-belt, so it just needs to be tight enough to seat the cogged portion securely. Based on what I see in the video, it looks to be correct.
He may never teach you how to tune a car, but maybe he can teach some of you to quote without reposting the same damn picture 80bajillion times in one thread!
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (02-26-2015), Xero-Limit (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #3061
Derka

Drives: 2015 frs
Header suggestions? My car literally blew the catalytic converter apart last night. Looking for something quiet, uel?
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derka For This Useful Post:
captain_jack (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #3062
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka View Post
Header suggestions? My car literally blew the catalytic converter apart last night. Looking for something quiet, uel?
Not a JDL UEL if you want quiet. Mine is one step below full bonkers at WOT with it.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #3063
captain_jack

Drives: '13 raven frs, '10 taco,09 gsxr 600
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka View Post
Honestly, the open flash header is pretty quiet. It's not crazy expensive and has a nice sound.
captain_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #3064
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
Honestly, the open flash header is pretty quiet. It's not crazy expensive and has a nice sound.

Quiet is pretty subjective I guess. I purchased open flash header #11 and had it on my car for two weeks before my wife asked that I change it back. I tried it with stock exhaust and with my Q300 and it was too loud for my suburbia neighborhood with ally garages. Was a great header and might be quieter than other cat-less headers but I think I'm stuck with the cats unfortunately
Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #3065
Derka

Drives: 2015 frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
Quiet is pretty subjective I guess. I purchased open flash header #11 and had it on my car for two weeks before my wife asked that I change it back. I tried it with stock exhaust and with my Q300 and it was too loud for my suburbia neighborhood with ally garages. Was a great header and might be quieter than other cat-less headers but I think I'm stuck with the cats unfortunately
I don't want to put a header on, but mine literally blew apart. Mike from moto east said it's common
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #3066
post_break
Professional Smartass

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
I have a borla UEL with no cats, overpipe, berk high flow cat, and Q300. It's the quietest "exhaust" I've heard and you're saying your wife was complaining? And with stock exhaust? Something is seriously wrong because with two resonators, the stock cat with its own resonator is loud then I dont know what to say.