follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-27-2023, 04:56 PM   #5965
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Yup, it was 85-90F ambient temps. IAT/ECT/Oil all logged on the video for reference.

Damn I like those gauges a lot more than what I did. Probably easier to wire too
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:59 PM   #5966
Cstond151

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 Hakone Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup, it was 85-90F ambient temps. IAT/ECT/Oil all logged on the video for reference.

Nice!

Honestly I don’t want to have to tear everything apart again if I have temp issues without an oil cooler so I think I will just bite the bullet and do it while I install the SC. I’m in Northern California, frequently over 100 degrees during the summer.
Cstond151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 04:54 PM   #5967
Cstond151

I ordered the radium AOS-R but this only connects to the PCV side. My tuner says the CCV side is more important for boosted applications. Is there a way to also connect the CCV side to the Radium AOS so it is all one closed system? Or should I return it and just get dual catch cans?
Old 06-28-2023, 07:14 PM   #5968
EddyEggnog

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
Hey all, I took my BRZ to the shop yesterday to have them investigate why the AC is so bad. It was bad last summer before I installed the JRSC so I'm pretty sure the supercharger isn't the culprit. I've had the JRSC installed for a year now (I installed it myself) and about 5k miles. I also installed the JR oil cooler at the same time.

I trust this shop - they've done good work on our company cars and my BRZ before. They say there's a hole in the AC condenser and it needs to be replaced.

From my pictures of the install a year ago, it looks like they might be able to slide the condenser out without disrupting the traction fluid lines or the oil cooler lines, and I don't remember any bolts underneath the car that hold the intercooler bracket to the radiator or AC condenser. Does anybody else know if the shop should be able to get the AC condenser out OK or should I have them give me the car back and I'll get the parts and do it myself?
EddyEggnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #5969
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstond151 View Post
Just ordered my C-38 JRSC kit. I currently have a Jackson dual radiator oil cooler. I track my car so I know I’ll need a dedicated oil cooler. Has anyone capped off the oil ports of the DROC and just used it as a radiator with the c38 kit? Any issues with doing it that way? I would rather not have to replace the radiator again.
No issues doing so. Just make sure you get the dedicated SC oil cooler.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:26 AM   #5970
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEggnog View Post
Hey all, I took my BRZ to the shop yesterday to have them investigate why the AC is so bad. It was bad last summer before I installed the JRSC so I'm pretty sure the supercharger isn't the culprit. I've had the JRSC installed for a year now (I installed it myself) and about 5k miles. I also installed the JR oil cooler at the same time.

I trust this shop - they've done good work on our company cars and my BRZ before. They say there's a hole in the AC condenser and it needs to be replaced.

From my pictures of the install a year ago, it looks like they might be able to slide the condenser out without disrupting the traction fluid lines or the oil cooler lines, and I don't remember any bolts underneath the car that hold the intercooler bracket to the radiator or AC condenser. Does anybody else know if the shop should be able to get the AC condenser out OK or should I have them give me the car back and I'll get the parts and do it myself?
That's going to be a very tight squeeze down there. Would take the intercooler off for space.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 07:53 AM   #5971
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
Damn I like those gauges a lot more than what I did. Probably easier to wire too
Basically mock'd the Perrin Gauge Pod and Designed/3D Printed them ourselves. They do take up a fair amount of gauge display though so as long as you don't mind not seeing anything else beyond your tach then they work well.

Quote:
I ordered the radium AOS-R but this only connects to the PCV side. My tuner says the CCV side is more important for boosted applications. Is there a way to also connect the CCV side to the Radium AOS so it is all one closed system? Or should I return it and just get dual catch cans?
IMO get the dual catch cans. IME CCV was the problem issue for me
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #5972
Cstond151

Quote:
Basically mock'd the Perrin Gauge Pod and Designed/3D Printed them ourselves. They do take up a fair amount of gauge display though so as long as you don't mind not seeing anything else beyond your tach then they work well.

Good advice. I’m returning the AOS and getting dual radium catch cans.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:50 PM   #5973
Breadman

Quote:

Anything to look out for? Mine have caught little to nothing so far
Old 06-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #5974
Cstond151

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
No issues doing so. Just make sure you get the dedicated SC oil cooler.

*Edit: it’s an AN 10 Port Plug

I appreciate your help. Anyone happen to know what exact bolt/fastener is needed to plug the oil ports on the JR DROC?

Last edited by Cstond151; 06-29-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:01 PM   #5975
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
Anything to look out for? Mine have caught little to nothing so far
I have an IAG 600 shortblock so not quite OE Specs, but I was catching a bunch of blowby on my Harrop SC Setup and sucking it into the backside of the intake: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153529

I had a Verus "Catch Can" setup w/o a drainback kit and it was simply filling up and overflowing I believe.

I have yet to get a new setup, engine is back out for other reasons but I am going the Radium route with dual catch can setup.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:51 AM   #5976
Breadman

Quote:
I have an IAG 600 shortblock so not quite OE Specs, but I was catching a bunch of blowby on my Harrop SC Setup and sucking it into the backside of the intake: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153529

I had a Verus "Catch Can" setup w/o a drainback kit and it was simply filling up and overflowing I believe.

I have yet to get a new setup, engine is back out for other reasons but I am going the Radium route with dual catch can setup.

I have an IAG stage2 block so i will keep a look out. Last time i checked there was just a little bit of residue in my catch cans with more in the pcv side. I'll have to check again soon, that one photo was gnarly
Old 07-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #5977
Cstond151

Any advice on where I should mount the CCV Radium catch can (driver’s side)? It is designed to go in the exact same place as the Rotrex oil reservoir for the JRSC. It’s also the same place I have my P Tuning flex fuel module mounted. Space is getting tight…
Old 07-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #5978
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Any advice on where I should mount the CCV Radium catch can (driver’s side)? It is designed to go in the exact same place as the Rotrex oil reservoir for the JRSC. It’s also the same place I have my P Tuning flex fuel module mounted. Space is getting tight…
I made a bracket to relocate the reservoir to the center between the strut braces at roughly the same height as its original location on the driver's side. Getting some extra 15-20' of Gates hoses in whatever IDs you need, 3/8, 5/16, and 1/2," is really handy to cut whatever lengths you need to get the CCs and reservoir placed and routed happily.

I also had an issue with the CCV side fouling my MAF sensor and installed a CCV CC at Zach's recommendation. With an OEM intake tract, the CCV is after the MAF, with the JRSC it's ahead of it so it can develop a faint film from oil vapor. I have the Radium CCV oil can on the driver's side, PCV can on the passenger's side. Routing the PCV and CCV pickups to a single collector can turn into a whole bag of fuckery with check valves and tricky routings to ensure the airflow is going in the right direction and flowing properly when all the various hoses are in vacuum or are pressurized. Two separate cans is the way to go because it keeps things functionally simple; each can does one job.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-10-2023)