follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1779
Sean K.

Drives: 2008 Lotus Elise SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
What is the probability that any FR-S/BRZ owner will search the internet for information about their car and come across this forum? Now what is the probability after they get a CEL?

I'd guess the probability jumps by quite a bit.
Granted, I came in a little earlier (mid-Sept) than some here, but I was only initially looking for wheel/tire combos that fit the car.

I stumbled upon this....

To answer your question....I'd say the probability is high after they get a CEL for the vast majority of owners. However, that being said, even that may not be all that valid.....IF this turns out to be an issue that crops up as cars put more miles on them (and since the mfr doesn't seem to really know what the root cause is....or they're not telling.....that *could* be the case).....we could see even more reports of the problem as time passes.
Sean K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #1780
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
Update Round 2: Dealership just called to update me on the car. With Toyota rep, they pulled apart and found the source of the low oil pressure was due to faulty timing chain tensioner. This part was removed/reinstalled at the other dealership as part of the VVTI gear replacements and wasn't installed correctly. Oil flows through this part, therfore causing a starvation condition. Bottom end of the engine ruined and will need to be replaced. Meaning, a new engine will be installed. Toyota wants it taken back to the original dealer and new dealer wants it's rental car back. New dealer was much more straight forward with me. Time to call Clayton again to get this Lemon Law process put into motion. Clayton said he would be sending me the paperwork.
That's what i thought as well.. The ones with engine failures are from a dealer tech mishap from replacing the sprocket(s)..
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #1781
hampersnow

Drives: BRZ Limited DGM, Camry SE Limited E
Totoya's answer

After not purchasing an FR-S yesterday from my idiot salesman who refuses to believe there is any real problem, I did get a call back from another "nicer" salesman who took the time to at least research all the documentation I had brought in. He repeated back to me all I've already read online, although he did mention there were only a few cases. i countered with 152 is not a few.
I emailed the Manager of the dealership about the treatment I received and he called me this morning. He says he called Toyota and was told that this is a minor problem that JUST requires a reflash, nothing about replacing the ECU. when mentioned this goes against all I have read online, he tried to throw doubt on everything printed in this forum or even the press.
So I called Toyota with my concerns and I did get an answer from whoever this guy Jose is to the numbers affected and he said "it's only a small number about 5% or less." (is 5% THAT small?)He explained that Toyota was handling it case by case as to whether your ECU were replaced or not, and not whether is was under or over 100 miles. He would not comment on Suburu's handling of the same problem and he said he couldn't speak on whether this issue would become a service release or not, but since he brought up that point I would think they understand this issue is causing a bit of bad publicity. It was obvious i was not the first person to call concerning this.
The more people who call and complain the better. As i was writing this I was again called by the manager of the dealership who supposedly was trying to get me a free extension on the warranty as an incentive to buy it. He could not. His parting words were "well hopefully sometime in the future Toyota can win back your trust".
hampersnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hampersnow For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-19-2012), Sargy (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #1782
dawnst3ar

Drives: 2013 MT FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So, on my way home from work last night in the loaner, it popped the maintenance required light on the dash. I decided to stop off at the dealership and get it taken care of. At first they tried to tell me to go ahead and drive, that it was just a service call needed, and I insisted that they either take care of it quickly or give me a different car.

While it was in for it's service (which only took about 5 minutes, I would like to add - wish I got that kind of service normally..) I went to the parts dept. to eyeball the order system for my parts. It said that there was a number somewhere in the upper thirties waiting in the DFW area for a new ECU, and that 9 were expected to hit dealerships on Monday. This tells me that I am now going to be waiting until at least then to get mine, and that the case manager really had no idea what she was talking about....
dawnst3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #1783
Stressin

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
Honest to GOD, on the Idle dip issue, I have filled with Shell gas only two times and both times, the idle dip almost disappears. Not saying gas quality is the ONLY factor for the idle dip, but I think its one of the variables.
I've been using shell v-power 98ron and tesco momentum 99ron since I picked the car up, and I still get CELs.
Stressin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #1784
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressin View Post
I've been using shell v-power 98ron and tesco momentum 99ron since I picked the car up, and I still get CELs.
One, I am not talking about CEL, I'm talking about RPM dip while in idle.

Second, I'm not saying it resolves the issue, I'm just stating what happened to my car :happy0180:
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #1785
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm just stating what happened to my car :happy0180:
Sweet
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #1786
Roadstercycle
FRS Rear Mount Turbo

Drives: 2013 FR-S Raven, Rear Turbo
I've been using shell from the beginning and no idle issues or CEL's at this point. Hopefully I did not jinx myself.
Roadstercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #1787
jduffy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Honest to GOD, on the Idle dip issue, I have filled with Shell gas only two times and both times, the idle dip almost disappears. Not saying gas quality is the ONLY factor for the idle dip, but I think its one of the variables.
I too have been using Shell and for me no chirping. I did have some odd seeking idle moments a few days ago but the last couple of days it's been very steady.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jduffy For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #1788
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Car is ready to be picked up, will take pics and copy some info.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #1789
killercl0wnfish

Drives: fr-s
so my frs has 3800 miles on it and today my car started droping below 5k rpm and started flashin the check engine light 2 times then the traction controll light came on ..... my major queston is i have a perrion light weight pully and motiv front pipe cat delete should i swap them out befor takieng the car to the delership ???? i know where not supposed to reuse the pully bolt other then swapin it out one time so im worried about that messing up ..... or would the delership even care about these mods???
killercl0wnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #1790
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercl0wnfish View Post
so my frs has 3800 miles on it and today my car started droping below 5k rpm and started flashin the check engine light 2 times then the traction controll light came on ..... my major queston is i have a perrion light weight pully and motiv front pipe cat delete should i swap them out befor takieng the car to the delership ???? i know where not supposed to reuse the pully bolt other then swapin it out one time so im worried about that messing up ..... or would the delership even care about these mods???
i would swap em out first if i was you just to save yourself
Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #1791
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
Update Round 2: Dealership just called to update me on the car. With Toyota rep, they pulled apart and found the source of the low oil pressure was due to faulty timing chain tensioner. This part was removed/reinstalled at the other dealership as part of the VVTI gear replacements and wasn't installed correctly. Oil flows through this part, therfore causing a starvation condition. Bottom end of the engine ruined and will need to be replaced. Meaning, a new engine will be installed. Toyota wants it taken back to the original dealer and new dealer wants it's rental car back. New dealer was much more straight forward with me. Time to call Clayton again to get this Lemon Law process put into motion. Clayton said he would be sending me the paperwork.
This is why im scared to let toyota work on my car. I told them that when they replace the ecu if my code doesnt go away i want to take my car to a dealership thats familiar with the issue because i dont want to be the test dummy and then my car ends up worse.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #1792
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
One, I am not talking about CEL, I'm talking about RPM dip while in idle.

Second, I'm not saying it resolves the issue, I'm just stating what happened to my car :happy0180:
I've been putting mostly Chevron Premium in my car and I occasionally have an engine idle dip, its not that often and its never killed the car just something I notice when the tack drops a couple hundred RPMs and then jumps back up.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote