follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #15
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FYI Vortech states not to run their units below 25f due to changes in already tight tolerances. Might be a CYA type thing, but they are a pretty reputable SC company. When it's that cold I drive my 97 4Runner and leave it in the garage. Not sure about the Eaton TVS design, but I expect tolerances to be pretty tight too - I'd ca Edelbrock and ask them about it. You could always pick up an engine warming blanket, but all that is too much pain in my ass. At this point a 2nd beater might be a better bet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #16
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This is my third winter with JRSC in upstate NY. I also have the Subaru oem oil regulator installed. Rotrex compressor never gave any trouble. Last winter, I thought, engine tune was causing rough idle at very cold temperatures (around and below 10F). But it was fixed after replacing the MAF sensor. I don't know about the Edelbrock compressor, but supercharged FA20 has no problems. I just use 0w20 oil, warm up the engine only one minute before driving, don't go wot until engine is completely warmed up (with snow tires and icy roads that is rarely possible anyway).

Last edited by mrg666; 11-29-2019 at 10:04 PM.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
HaXx (11-30-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
ReDestructDead

Drives: White 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
This is my third winter with JRSC in upstate NY. I also have the Subaru oem oil regulator installed. Rotrex compressor never gave any trouble. Last winter, I thought, engine tune was causing rough idle at very cold temperatures (around and below 10F). But it was fixed after replacing the MAF sensor. I don't know about the Edelbrock compressor, but supercharged FA20 has no problems. I just use 0w20 oil, warm up the engine only one minute before driving, don't go wot until engine is completely warmed up (with snow tires and icy roads that is rarely possible anyway).
+1 for this. I also have a JR kit on my car and I'm in the Chicago area. The JR kit uses a vacuum actuated bypass valve so at low load conditions, cold start included, there is no additional air from the compressor being delivered to the intake manifold.

I also contacted JR prior to purchasing the kit regarding low temperature operation and this was their response: "The Rotrex and its oiling system were developed and are made in Denmark, where they see temperatures much colder. It is fine to work in 10-20F temperatures."
ReDestructDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReDestructDead For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (12-05-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #18
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by casing View Post
Hey all. Its starting to dip into the negatives here in canada.

Yesterday it was -10 C, and on cold start when the car does that load thing to warm up the cat, my car was making boost at idle. I doubt that's good when my oil temperature is at -10 C.

Should I look into a different tune for winter?

Edit: car is edelbrock supercharged.
Pretty sure you can tune that off. Don't the OFT tablets offer a tune without this for cars with loud exhausts?

I think a tuner could do this in minutes.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote