follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
How to get the best tune?

I was hoping to use the CARB tune with my Edelbrock, but it's looking like I'll just be using it for smog tests, it's too erratic for my taste. Hesitation, tip in stalling, inconsistency, lots of little annoying issues. Trying to get them resolved remote is extremely time consuming and takes forever. It's drivable, but just not smooth and takes away from the fun of driving the car.

I was going to go for the Delicious tune, but I'm rethinking that choice, too many people are unhappy with remote/generic tunes. My car seems to be telling me that it needs some in person personal care with the tune, as it doesn't work well with existing tunes that others apparently have no issues with. I have no more confidence in remote tuning, having been through it the past few months and still not 100%. I was really hoping not to have the expense of a full custom tune, but I think I'm at my ropes end here.

My question is, who is the very best tuner in the Bay Area? I know there is no one answer, but I want to see some proof they have tuned some cars well and people are happy with them. I really wish Moto-East or Delicious was around here, but they're not unfortunately. Who is next best? Any ideas on full cost of a custom tune, including ALL drivability ranges/loads?

Thanks!
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
I was hoping to use the CARB tune with my Edelbrock, but it's looking like I'll just be using it for smog tests, it's too erratic for my taste. Hesitation, tip in stalling, inconsistency, lots of little annoying issues. Trying to get them resolved remote is extremely time consuming and takes forever. It's drivable, but just not smooth and takes away from the fun of driving the car.

I was going to go for the Delicious tune, but I'm rethinking that choice, too many people are unhappy with remote/generic tunes. My car seems to be telling me that it needs some in person personal care with the tune, as it doesn't work well with existing tunes that others apparently have no issues with. I have no more confidence in remote tuning, having been through it the past few months and still not 100%. I was really hoping not to have the expense of a full custom tune, but I think I'm at my ropes end here.

My question is, who is the very best tuner in the Bay Area? I know there is no one answer, but I want to see some proof they have tuned some cars well and people are happy with them. I really wish Moto-East or Delicious was around here, but they're not unfortunately. Who is next best? Any ideas on full cost of a custom tune, including ALL drivability ranges/loads?

Thanks!
You might have better luck posting in the local NorCal subforum, but off the top of my head I can only think of @Elite Performance in Burlingame. They have done a few 86s along with their shop/track/time attack car. I'm considering having them do my car once I get headers in. Bill of @DeliciousTuning also visits Mann Engineering in Santa Clara every quarter to do custom tuning on their dyno, very nice shop.

Since you already have Ecutek, you can also check out the "find a tuner" website, but these are more "dealers" than anything, not particularly expert on the 86s

http://www.ecutek.com/Dealers

The only other option is to go with a straight stand alone ECU (like a Hydra, AEM, MoTec or Haltech), which is more costly, but can be tuned by a lot more shops and allow much more options than the stock ECU can do.

Best of luck!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
You can always fly @DeliciousTuning up to your area.

If you want to drive to SoCal, we also recommend Church Automotive Testing.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (03-25-2016), FRS Justin (03-24-2016), SoCal80six (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
I'm using the @DeliciousTuning on my car, and am VERY happy with it.

Granted, I'm using a different kit than you, but he would be my go-to right now for tuning.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If you're in the Bay or LA, nobody has a better reputation than Delicious West of the Mississippi for 86's right now. I'd make the trip if I was central valley too, but if you're in the Rockies or way North it might not be worth it.

Edit: If you're in the Bay might want to talk to Shiv/Vishnu/Openflash, hell he might tune via ECUTek too, idk. Haven't heard any bad stories there either, at least on this platform.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
You will not be unhappy with a Delicious Tune. Back when I was racing against Fiebruz doing N/A 1/4 mi I was remote tuning with Delicious Tune and every map I received I went faster all the way down to 13.47
I would change the car and head out to a " safe stretch of closed down road *wink* and shift into 3rd at close to idle and hold it open til redline. Send the log in and a few hrs later have a new map. It's that simple, don't be afraid of remote tuning. It's been proven over and over you can get a tune just as good as a dyno by remote tuning it just takes a little longer and some work on the consumer side. Personally I like remote tuning or track tuning because it's a real time environment, not a fan blowing over the car.
Now that I make over 600hp remote tuning is out for me as the car breaks traction and it's impossible to get a good pull.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-24-2016), SoCal80six (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #7
Rapiddan45

Drives: 2013 FR-S M/T Ultramarine
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I vouch for the guys at @DeliciousTuning. They have been doing great work with my tune on a C38 JR kit at high elevation. Granted I have done a number of logs, I think that goes to show the amount of attention they put into their work. And as it has been stated above, from the base tune I received to now it has gotten progressively better all across the board. For the price I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better alternative.
C38 JRSC, JROC, Delicious Tune, Radium PCV Catch Can
Rapiddan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #8
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapiddan45 View Post
I vouch for the guys at @DeliciousTuning. They have been doing great work with my tune on a C38 JR kit at high elevation. Granted I have done a number of logs, I think that goes to show the amount of attention they put into their work. And as it has been stated above, from the base tune I received to now it has gotten progressively better all across the board. For the price I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better alternative.

So for every tune, besides the initial one, do you pay an additional $100 or whatever it is? Seems expensive if it takes a lot of tunes?
Old 03-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #9
Limey

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mann Engineering host a quarterly event with Delicious tuners and are based in Santa Clara.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limey For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 02:02 AM   #10
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
So for every tune, besides the initial one, do you pay an additional $100 or whatever it is? Seems expensive if it takes a lot of tunes?
I believe you get one touch up when you buy a tune from delicious tuning. talk to Zach he can hook you up....
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #11
86fun

Just to get my CARB tune drivable it took 11 tunes(and it's still not perfect). That would be awful expensive getting billed for each one!

I don't know, I just suspect there is something going on with some of the cars out there where the standard tunes aren't working on them, mine is one of them, and several others have let me know they have similar issues. I'm worried I'd just pay for the tune to find out it doesn't work just like the Edelborck CARB tune didn't.

Damn I'm feeling pretty helpless with this car right now. Sometimes I just wish I would have stuck with stock, this is WAY more hassle than it's worth....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
clayrush (03-26-2016), SoCal80six (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Toyota86.ir
Mike Tune HKS E85 FD 4.88

Drives: Toyota GT86 AT NA Stage 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
Again i recommend just moto-east.
So responsive in remote tuning and mike is great tuner.
I flashed 6 NA car plus 2 boosted car with mike remote tune.
Toyota86.ir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyota86.ir For This Useful Post:
SoCal80six (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
SoCal80six

Drives: Asphalt frs
Quote:

Thanks!
I went with a delicious tune and had a horrible experience. Bought a fashion and go tune from them had a lot of trouble with it. Even had bill himself dial it In. And a few weeks later car over boosted and destroyed motor. Put a hole through cylinder wall, Rod snapped , fried pistons, ran lean, and even bent a cam. Soon as motor blew called delicious and tried to get some answers for what could've cause it since I thought I had ob protection . No help what so ever. And supposedly they did not even put overboost protection which they say comes standard in their tunes. They also told me they didnt have enough room to add it ahah.Not saying their a bad tuning company just expected a lot more from them seeing how popular they are. But I have heard great things on bills custom tunes. But be careful with flash and go tunes!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited by SoCal80six; 03-25-2016 at 06:27 PM.
SoCal80six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #14
SoCal80six

Drives: Asphalt frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You can always fly @DeliciousTuning up to your area.

If you want to drive to SoCal, we also recommend Church Automotive Testing.
Does church have a tuning shop here in socal? I've heard good things from them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
SoCal80six is offline   Reply With Quote