follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #169
e11wa

Drives: 86GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefG View Post
First off, major to F1point4 for this awesome DIY. People like you make this forum great, and I can appreciate the time and effort that went into photographing your DYI and doing the write-up.

I'm pretty much sold on this cam and the power-magic unit.

During my install of my aftermarket head unit and back-up cam, while soaking up all I could from the forum, I came across a post about the "option connector." (and now I can't find the post )

The option connector is an unused white connector behind the radio toward the passenger (LH drive vehicles) side. That connector contains a ground, 1 accessory-fused socket, and 1 battery-fused socket. There are a couple others, but you'll only be interested in those three. I think there's even a guy on the forum who can supply you with a connector and harness to plug in to that option connector. A big plus is that it is very near the glove compartment. If you use this connector you can save a LOT of work, not to mention you won't have to use an Add-A-Circuit or go anywhere near the fuse box or the driver's side and you won't be left with a fuse box cover dangling open or strapped up with wire ties.

I plan to put the Power Magic unit under the dash mounted to the roof of the glove compartment, or somewhere in the vicinity. It will be in an accessible spot where I can operate the switch if necessary. Using that connector, the wiring run will be easier as well.

Here's a photo (below) of the option connector. It's the white 6-pin connector in the lower-right center of the picture. Use a test light to find the accessory and battery-fused circuits. If you want, put a 1-amp inline fuse in your accessory and battery leads.

If you use this option connector to tap power, you can run your cam cables under the headliner, down the passenger side A-pillar, and behind the dash. The dash panels and radio are very easy to remove. Gently pry the dash panel and radio surround panel out from the bottom. Protect the plastic with a piece of paper and use a panel removal tool, not a screwdriver. Four bolts hold the radio in. You'll need a 10mm socket and extension. Piece of cake.

You should be able to find some narrow crimp-on bayonet connectors that will plug in to the option connector.

There's some good info here: http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16p-operation.htm

Here's ae64's picture of the connector:

Hey Chief, thanks for the heads up on the option connector.
its D29 if anyone is looking at the wiring diagram.
We have this same plug in our Australian delivered 86's.
The connector needed is Aerpro AP1761, which i picked up online, but can apparently be had quite easily in local auto parts stores.
It is sold as a 2 pack of iso harnesses, so I removed Battery, Accessory and Ground wires from teh 12 pin harness, and put them into the appropriate slots in the male option plug.

Pin 1 is ground
Pin 2 is Battery 12v
Pin 6 is Accessory 12v.
Currently my PMP is mounted behind the accessory light dimmer/boot release on the drivers side(RHD model) with the socket running to the glove box. I think I will leave the PMP where it is, and do a tidy little cable run under the steering column, simply for ease, and I can easily reach PMP where it is currently.

looking forward to closing up my cabins fuse box again!!
e11wa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to e11wa For This Useful Post:
ChiefG (12-20-2013), disgruntld (06-10-2015), voyager2285 (01-02-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #170
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Has anyone had issues with the Power Magic? I've tried setting the cutoff to 11.8V and 12V; both settings leave my car without enough power to start.

edit: seems strange that the car wouldn't crank with 12 volts. While I was trying to get it to start I hit the 12v threshold since the camera announced it was shutting down as I tried to start the car.
feedbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #171
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
Has anyone had issues with the Power Magic? I've tried setting the cutoff to 11.8V and 12V; both settings leave my car without enough power to start.

edit: seems strange that the car wouldn't crank with 12 volts. While I was trying to get it to start I hit the 12v threshold since the camera announced it was shutting down as I tried to start the car.
Stock Battery? Yes I've had it die on me at 12v. I don't think the stock battery likes being discharged to 12v repeatedly. I eventually replaced it with a dual purpose battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #172
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Stock battery dies very very fast. I just replaced mine with an Optima yellow top and in the morning my battery was 12.9v. My camera was in parking mode all night. With the stock battery my power magic pro would turn off my camera and my voltage would go below 12v.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #173
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yep, stock battery. I guess I'll set a time limit for now and look into a different battery. Does anyone know if the FT-86 SpeedFactory lightweight battery would have better capacity / allow me to start the engine once its dropped to 12v?
feedbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #174
ChiefG
Skeptic

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I have my PMP module set for 12 hours and 12v, and I shut off parking mode when I'm parked in my driveway or garage. I do wish there was more choice in the power setting.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 AM   #175
vinh359

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Did you have any issues with removing the low profile mini from the fusebox? I try removing the fuse with hands and also a fuse remover but couldn't. How did you end up taking it out?
vinh359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #176
e11wa

I used a screwdriver to lever it out.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #177
illicitstylz

Drives: 2014 FRS - Whiteout - 6spd MT
Looking for some advice here. Tried TAIL lights (yellow wire) and P/Point1 (red wire) with the wires to the mini a fuse legs but it didn't power up...

I'm looking for another CONSTANT ON fuse with 10a to connect the yellow wire to.

Other than the 7.5a STOP, what else can I use? ECU ACC #1 ?

nvm: got it figured out! thanks OP for diy

Last edited by illicitstylz; 04-18-2014 at 03:09 PM.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #178
e11wa

On the option connector, D29, behind the head unit, there is batt and acc.
It's on an interior circuit on 20A I think.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 AM   #179
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Installed my DR500GW today with the help of this guide, a few things to note that I did differently:

I got low profile mini add-a-fuse, with 5A fuses from here:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0MWPXU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: FAST Shipping* ADD-A-CIRCUIT BLADE STYLE ATM APS ATT LOW PROFILE MINI FUSE HOLDER FUSE TAP + 5AMP FUSE: Car Electronics[/ame]

And I tapped the LH heated seat circuit for the red (on when car is on) and the OBD circuit for the always on.

I was able to seat the grounding wire/fork very deeply by bending the forks to increase the distance in between them.

Thanks for the guide!!!
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #180
The Sentinel
Project BRZ-Boosted Autos

Drives: MY14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm not sure that A pillar wiring is best practice as it's looped around the air bag.

The Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #181
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sentinel View Post
I'm not sure that A pillar wiring is best practice as it's looped around the air bag.

It should be fine. There are already wires in the A pillar. Just secure the new wiring to the existing wires and it would not get caught if the airbag deploys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #182
Husker BRZ
Go Big Red!!

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefG View Post
First off, major to F1point4 for this awesome DIY. People like you make this forum great, and I can appreciate the time and effort that went into photographing your DYI and doing the write-up.

I'm pretty much sold on this cam and the power-magic unit.

During my install of my aftermarket head unit and back-up cam, while soaking up all I could from the forum, I came across a post about the "option connector." (and now I can't find the post )

The option connector is an unused white connector behind the radio toward the passenger (LH drive vehicles) side. That connector contains a ground, 1 accessory-fused socket, and 1 battery-fused socket. There are a couple others, but you'll only be interested in those three. I think there's even a guy on the forum who can supply you with a connector and harness to plug in to that option connector. A big plus is that it is very near the glove compartment. If you use this connector you can save a LOT of work, not to mention you won't have to use an Add-A-Circuit or go anywhere near the fuse box or the driver's side and you won't be left with a fuse box cover dangling open or strapped up with wire ties.

I plan to put the Power Magic unit under the dash mounted to the roof of the glove compartment, or somewhere in the vicinity. It will be in an accessible spot where I can operate the switch if necessary. Using that connector, the wiring run will be easier as well.

Here's a photo (below) of the option connector. It's the white 6-pin connector in the lower-right center of the picture. Use a test light to find the accessory and battery-fused circuits. If you want, put a 1-amp inline fuse in your accessory and battery leads.

If you use this option connector to tap power, you can run your cam cables under the headliner, down the passenger side A-pillar, and behind the dash. The dash panels and radio are very easy to remove. Gently pry the dash panel and radio surround panel out from the bottom. Protect the plastic with a piece of paper and use a panel removal tool, not a screwdriver. Four bolts hold the radio in. You'll need a 10mm socket and extension. Piece of cake.

You should be able to find some narrow crimp-on bayonet connectors that will plug in to the option connector.

There's some good info here: http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16p-operation.htm

Here's SSVXdc's picture of the connector:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e11wa View Post
Hey Chief, thanks for the heads up on the option connector.
its D29 if anyone is looking at the wiring diagram.
We have this same plug in our Australian delivered 86's.
The connector needed is Aerpro AP1761, which i picked up online, but can apparently be had quite easily in local auto parts stores.
It is sold as a 2 pack of iso harnesses, so I removed Battery, Accessory and Ground wires from teh 12 pin harness, and put them into the appropriate slots in the male option plug.

Pin 1 is ground
Pin 2 is Battery 12v
Pin 6 is Accessory 12v.
Currently my PMP is mounted behind the accessory light dimmer/boot release on the drivers side(RHD model) with the socket running to the glove box. I think I will leave the PMP where it is, and do a tidy little cable run under the steering column, simply for ease, and I can easily reach PMP where it is currently.

looking forward to closing up my cabins fuse box again!!
@ChiefG and @e11wa I'm looking at purchasing the blackvue dr500gw hd dashcam and would really like to use the option connector you guys were speaking of. However, I'm kind of an electrical noob.
If I wire the camera with the power magic pro how exactly do I connect the wires into the option connector to ensure a good connection?
I found the wiring diagram but which pin location would which wire go into? I would really appreciate any help here as I really don't want to pay anyone to do this install and I would really like to keep all the wires hidden! Thanks!
Husker BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackvue, dashcam, diy, dr400g-hd, power magic pro