follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are there varying levels of engine leaks? Apparently this isn't considered a "leak"

I was excited to install my header almost two months ago only to find out there was an area of burnt oil near the timing chain cover area.

The first picture below is what it looked like when I discovered it, I'm not sure how long it's been leaking. I ended up wiping it down and inspected it again three weeks later. That's the second picture. Oil looks fresh. At this point I bring it to the dealership. They said they inserted tracer leak oil and cleaned up (more like sprayed that whole corner of the engine with a white powdery coating) and to come back in 200 miles. 2 weeks and 300 miles later I return to the dealership only for them to say "no leak" and hurried me out.

Today I lifted the car and took a look underneath and the third picture was what I was greeted with... That looks like a leak to me right? I'm positive that's the exact same thing they saw 2 days ago when I brought it in. So I'm wondering if there are different levels of leaks before they'll consider working on it. A friend mentioned that sometimes they'll deny warranty because Subaru won't reimburse them enough for them to work on the car?

From what I've read on the forums, it could be from the sealant used at the factory.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75111

I'm going to bring the TSB linked in the thread above to another dealership to get another opinion.
Attached Images

tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I remember seeing this issue when I first joined I think the fix was having the dealer more and a stronger type of sealant as well as torquing the bolts to a newer spec post TSB. Go back to the dealer show them the photos and demand the repair while speaking to the service manager
I believe you should also knock there doors down with this TSB as well as evidence with your photos:
02-136-12R : Oil Seepage Diagnosis and Repair Procedures

Otherwise contact Subaru of America and report the dealer for being stingy and not following through
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
tracerit (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
oil cooler
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The white powdery stuff is developer. Used to spot the source of leaks and or cracks if you use spray on magnaflux. Damn sure looks like a leak to me. Most likely area is the head/chaincover/block intersection. That spot is difficult to seal.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
tracerit (05-26-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagun View Post
oil cooler
dumb question but how would an oil cooler help with in this situation?

i'll be bringing the car in to another dealership this week with the TSB. If it is indeed the sealant issue, it looks like my dreams of getting that UEL rumble with my OFH will be down the drain :/
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
aagun (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #6
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
dumb question but how would an oil cooler help with in this situation?

i'll be bringing the car in to another dealership this week with the TSB. If it is indeed the sealant issue, it looks like my dreams of getting that UEL rumble with my OFH will be down the drain :/
thx for dump it

you have two way for ur leak . fix it or throw sand on the oil sealant
but oil cooler will keep ur liquid gasket in solid status . HQ liquid gasket can hold up to 150c oil temps in solid status before transfer to liquid status . but in fa20 dump engine it can not hold up to 120c .

we had similar issues about oil leakages . my oil temps stay under 100c @ 48c weather temps
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aagun For This Useful Post:
tracerit (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
tracerit

brought it to another highly reviewed dealership this time and they've diagnosed it as a cam carrier leak. i brought the TSB in but the service advisor didn't acknowledge it so i just placed it on my driver's seat when i left the car. i'm sure no one likes being told what to do but i just wanted confirmation or rule out if anything. they said the car would be available tomorrow but i'm picking it up in two days to let the sealant settle in, can't wait!

regarding installing an oil cooler (thinking of the forester mod), that does interest me but what kind of implications would that have on the factory warranty?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I worked at Toyota and they couldn't even fix my problems. That is why there is no point on buying a new car. The warranty is a complete joke.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
I worked at Toyota and they couldn't even fix my problems. That is why there is no point on buying a new car. The warranty is a complete joke.
you have (or had) this specific oil leak?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Nope but i have major coolant loss issue and crapped out 5th gear synchro. Oil leak issue is very common problem with the boxer motor. But usually not when the vehicle is this new.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote