follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 AM   #155
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Thanks Fika -- I just thought it was funky that the entire clutch travel is probably 6-8inches, and the first 3-4 inches from the floorboard up are dead, followed by clutch engagement in the last 2 inches or so. It looks like if i I lower the engagement point any farther that the pedal has trouble returning as firmly/quickly.

I'll just learn to enjoy it! Just wish there was an adjustment to get the engagement closer to the floorboard without lowering the pedal any farther.
The stock clutch is weird in how it fully engages near the top but it works as designed.

You are now experiencing the limitation of just removing the spring. The long vague arc of engagement is due to the low pedal ratio.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:37 AM   #156
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
So this is probably all in my own head, but has anyone else noticed after removing the spring that the gear engagement seems a bit more notchy? I didn't do anything other than remove the spring. My biggest fear is that the clutch is partially engaged even with my foot all the way to the floor. However, I haven't noticed any car movement when I have the pedal down, foot off the brake and the car "in gear."
Simply put, if the clutch wasn't fully disengaged, you would never be able to get it into gear. The syncro would be fighting against the still spinning clutch disk and it would lose.

When the gearbox is cold you can hear the input side spinning while it's in neutral. You can convince yourself that the clutch is disengaging by listening to the input shaft go silent when pushing the clutch.

If that's too hard to hear (it can be) then there are other tricks.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #157
mcrane

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Removes the vagueness in the clutch a great deal! Well worth the 15 minutes and uncomfortable laying position. haha
mcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #158
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Just removed my spring this morning. +1 for thinking twice before doing it if you have to sit in traffic often. Part of what made this car so easy to drive in traffic was the light clutch, and I can see how the "heavier" pedal might become a nuisance in those situations. Otherwise, like others have said: it feels like a real clutch now. Much more intuitive and mechanical-feeling!
If you are sitting in heavy traffic not moving, you really should have the car in neutral and your foot off the clutch.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #159
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
If you are sitting in heavy traffic not moving, you really should have the car in neutral and your foot off the clutch.
Who said anything about holding the clutch down while not moving?

When traffic is inching forward every 2 seconds, you're forced to work the clutch on and off, constantly switching between neutral and 1st. A lighter clutch is arguably more pleasant in that scenario.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #160
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Are the concerns of the premature clutch master cylinder seal wear valid? There's an MTEC spring out there that replaces the stock spring, and I found a post where they claimed removing the spring results in additional wear.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=11
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #161
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
Are the concerns of the premature clutch master cylinder seal wear valid? There's an MTEC spring out there that replaces the stock spring, and I found a post where they claimed removing the spring results in additional wear.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=11
The only way you would have increased wear on the master cylinder, is if you have more travel with the spring removed, than you have when it is installed. If that Is the case, I means that the clutch pedal is not completely returning to the top because it is being held down by the spring, that means you always have pressure on your throwout bearing, which is always spinning. So in my estimation, "IF" you experience increased master cylinder wear, it is only at the expense of reduced throwout bearing wear. I personally would rather replace a clutch master cylinder, than drop the transmission and replace the TOB, that is, if we are talking about the "Helper" spring.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:53 AM   #162
JJJ
WordPress Guy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to JJJ Send a message via MSN to JJJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJJ
Finally did this, and after 40k miles on my '13 BRZ, I feel like I can actually drive the car now without feeling like a total noob, despite having clocked hundreds of thousands of miles on many manual cars over the past 20 years.

I'm 6'5" and 225, and had to contort myself upside down in the drivers seat to get at the C clip with a tiny flat-head screw-driver. Once I could see what I was working on, it took 2 minutes to get the clip off and the pin out.

Removing the spring will not cause anything to fail prematurely. It's just a helper spring to relieve some of the pedal pressure, because your average person would otherwise complain about how stiff the pedal feels without it. The MTEC Spring is still a spring, it just has less rebound so less of that pedal-pressure shows through.

Now, if we could just eliminate the drive-by-wire, this would almost feel like a real car again.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #163
kandiflippin

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
did the pictures get removed? Its not loading anything for me.
kandiflippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #164
Romanov
Just another BRZ owner

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I did this mod and i gotta say, i should have done it sooner. Probably should have been my first modification. The only issue i have now is near the top of the travel it feels loose so i may need to adjust the clutch. (about the first 5% of travel has no feel because its not engaging the clutch).

Follow my Instagram @sal_brz
Romanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #165
ogrowup

Drives: Asphalt build in progress
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know what the spring delete would be on an aftermarket clutch like
a Clutch masters FX 300?
ogrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:25 AM   #166
kingkenny

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrowup View Post
Anyone know what the spring delete would be on an aftermarket clutch like
a Clutch masters FX 300?

I have Exedy stage 3 Hyper Single VF , no issue at all without the clutch spring .
kingkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #167
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanov View Post
I did this mod and i gotta say, i should have done it sooner. Probably should have been my first modification. The only issue i have now is near the top of the travel it feels loose so i may need to adjust the clutch. (about the first 5% of travel has no feel because its not engaging the clutch).
Same here! I just did the mod on my 2017 86 and the first 5% feels loose. Anyone know if adjusting the clutch going to get rid of that? Anyone else experiencing that?
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #168
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Youll get use to it. You dont need to adjust anything.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch helper spring, helper spring removal