follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #15
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
1. Meatloaf: Hits Out of Hell
2. Beatles: The Red Album 1967 - 1970
3. Harry Chapin: Greatest Stories Live
4. Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison
5. Olivia Newton John: The Definitive Collection
6. Aerosmith: Devil's Got a New Surprise

What I really do: Depending on the vehicle I have either an iPod Classic or an SD card that has the family's entire lawfully obtained music collection of several hundred albums that covers every possible genre. When I do listen to music I listen to it in song title order from A - Z. I have a self-imposed rule of having to listen to at least one minute of any song before hitting skip. I've discovered a lot of off the wall stuff that I otherwise would not have listened to but now look forward to hearing.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (06-30-2020), soundman98 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
What I really do: Depending on the vehicle I have either an iPod Classic or an SD card that has the family's entire lawfully obtained music collection of several hundred albums that covers every possible genre. When I do listen to music I listen to it in song title order from A - Z. I have a self-imposed rule of having to listen to at least one minute of any song before hitting skip. I've discovered a lot of off the wall stuff that I otherwise would not have listened to but now look forward to hearing.
Damn. Now that is some will power. I'm sure you can find some cool stuff you wouldn't otherwise but not sure I could sit through some stuff lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
YIKES! - life is getting complicated -
My Dad's Olds 98 had an eight-track, as did his '57 Chevy. He kept a box of about 30 eight tracks, mostly Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, with some Elvis and Glen Campbell thrown in for my Mom.

I was the "Keeper of the Box" in the back seat. It was my job to pull out the right tape, and hand it to my Mom or ride in the front and put in the tapes as he requested.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (07-01-2020), humfrz (06-30-2020), soundman98 (06-30-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #18
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Doesn't matter what CD's you choose, the FR-S noise floor is too loud to listen to music in... unless you put in some etymotic high fidelity ear plugs and crank it to lower the noise floor some 20dB... LOL

It would be my Frontier anyways because much better noise floor and audio system in it... and I don't have FR-S anymore.

As of right now, my choice of 6 CDs would be:

Carpenters - Gold (The Carpenters)
Hold your Colour (Pendulum)
Is there Love in Space (Joe Satriani)
Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar (Paul Gilbert)
Tron Legacy Soundtrack (Daft Punk)
Vocaloud 01 - Breaking of the Emotion (Vocaloid compilation album)

But I don't really use CDs in vehicles... CDs and heat/humidity are a bad combo. Have my entire CD collection ripped to FLAC along with FLAC album downloads off Bandcamp on my phone, tablet, and laptops.

Last edited by Vracer111; 07-01-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #19
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Name:  blonde on blonde.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  out of the blue.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  130.8 KB

Name:  thick as a brick.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  queen-a-night-at-the-opera.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  sweet baby james.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  desperado.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  33.0 KB

But mostly, I listen to audiobooks bluetoothed from my phone. I'm sure some of you will not even recognize the album covers.....
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #20
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
But mostly, I listen to audiobooks bluetoothed from my phone. I'm sure some of you will not even recognize the album covers.....
I guess I should have mentioned that this is primarily what i do as well. I average 3 books every two weeks. Thank you Overdrive and the local public library!

and @winstonscifi I recognize all of yours as they are on my "extended playlist" beyond the core 6.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #21
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I guess I should have mentioned that this is primarily what i do as well. I average 3 books every two weeks. Thank you Overdrive and the local public library!

and @winstonscifi I recognize all of yours as they are on my "extended playlist" beyond the core 6.
I'm so glad you mentioned Overdrive. It is fantastic! I counted one year how many audiobooks I downloaded and read, and the total was 69! And I didn't have to pay for one! The local library is great, and my iPhone bookmarks the place for me. You can put books on hold (I have 5 right now), you can delay them for a week or two if they come in at the same time, etc, etc...It's my favorite app on my phone. Thanks Dadhawk!
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #22
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
I'm so glad you mentioned Overdrive.
No problem, my count per year is similar to yours. I've gone through several author's entire body of work this way, in order. It's the book equivalent of binge watching a 20 season TV series from beginning to end.

Every once in a while I have to backfill a book or two with Audible to finish a series but not often.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #23
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

To add to the public service announcement for your local public library...

If they have Overdrive, they most like also support RBDigital. Through that service you can download:

Magazines, including most of the major car rags,
Comics and graphics novels including DC, Marvel, Disney
Acorn streaming service showing British television series. This is normally a paid service but you can subscribe to it 1 week at a time for free indefinitely.

finch1750 (07-03-2020), winstonscifi (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #24
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Do you like CDs?

It's crazy to think about how much less effcient we have to be in choosing music, books, etc... now that we have SSD and 4G 5G whatever for streaming. I actually listen to audiobooks now on my longer drives. I still rock out on the short drives around town though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
For convenience, digit streaming is the best, but boomers complained about cassettes and CDs compared to their vinyl, and Millennials have complained about compressed mp3s and streaming music compared to their higher bitrate CDs, but now we are starting to see lossless and master studio edition streaming, so hopefully people holding onto those CDs will finally be able to ditch them. Until then, I'm sure people will still use CDs.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #25
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Millennials have complained about compressed mp3s and streaming music compared to their higher bitrate CDs,
Actually, my Millennial sons (2) and Gen Y (1) all prefer vinyl and had huge collections.

Personally, I don't really care as long as I can hear the music. I can tell marginal differences between the format, but unless it gets down to AM quality (is that a thing?) it doesn't bother me.

p1l0t (07-03-2020), soundman98 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #26
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Actually, my Millennial sons (2) and Gen Y (1) all prefer vinyl and had huge collections.

Personally, I don't really care as long as I can hear the music. I can tell marginal differences between the format, but unless it gets down to AM quality (is that a thing?) it doesn't bother me.
Gen Ys are Millennials. Maybe you meant Gen Z.

This is true. Some young people like air cooled Porsche's, reading from books, wearing wrist watches and listening to vinyls over their contemporary counterparts. Vinyl has made a resurgence at various times because of the argument that the contemporary mediums aren't as good. In some ways, this is true, and in many ways, it is not. A worn out vinyl or CD doesn't play well, even if the music was once richer, and the vinyl doesn't always play well depending on the song or depending on the quality of the player.

Moving from low bitrate aka super compressed music to lossless music or a CD, there is an obvious difference in sound, especially if you have a quality sound system in a car and decent sound deadening. The difference of switching to higher bitrates is like listening to a low bitrate youtube video with laptop speakers then switching to some earbuds then switching to some quality, over-the-ear headphones. Another example is switching the radio between standard and "HD", which our cars can do annoyingly, but that difference can be obvious, so I think it is one of those things that you can train the mind to forget like if all you ate was saltine crackers, and someone gave you cinnamon and sugar gram crackers, you would be really excited at the quality of flavors of the gram cracker, but the fact is that the gram cracker is far removed from a decadent dish of Japanese Coby Wagyu beef, truffled potatoes, chocolate souffle and creme brûlée with a Dom Perignon wine. Likewise, if you listen to higher bitrate content a lot then switching to standard bitrates is like switching to a diet of saltine crackers.
Dadhawk (07-02-2020), finch1750 (07-03-2020), p1l0t (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #27
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Gen Ys are Millennials. Maybe you meant Gen Z.
Correct. I can never keep it straight...you know us Boomers, memory isn't what it used to be.

As far as vinyl, it is analog, an actual representation of the sound wave, no sampling. Of course, it's quality varies with the quality of the equipment used to record it, duplicate it and and play it, and the condition of the media over time, but it is the closest representation to the real thing.

As for the food references, I have this discussion with my father-in-law all the time. He's a foodie and always wants to go someplace where every meal is a mortgage payment and you age while waiting to get in. I enjoy a good meal too, but I'm not waiting anywhere to eat, and it and part of my enjoyment is not spending a fortune on it. At the end of the meal, I'm just as full going to Waffle House as I am Ruth's Chris, and it can be just as entertaining.

As with food, with music I can appreciate a fantastically recorded and reproduced piece of music, heck I live in a house full of talented musicians. But, in the end, I can listen to it on anything if its for entertainment purposes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (07-03-2020), Irace86.2.0 (07-02-2020), p1l0t (07-03-2020), winstonscifi (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #28
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Correct. I can never keep it straight...you know us Boomers, memory isn't what it used to be.

As far as vinyl, it is analog, an actual representation of the sound wave, no sampling. Of course, it's quality varies with the quality of the equipment used to record it, duplicate it and and play it, and the condition of the media over time, but it is the closest representation to the real thing.

As for the food references, I have this discussion with my father-in-law all the time. He's a foodie and always wants to go someplace where every meal is a mortgage payment and you age while waiting to get in. I enjoy a good meal too, but I'm not waiting anywhere to eat, and it and part of my enjoyment is not spending a fortune on it. At the end of the meal, I'm just as full going to Waffle House as I am Ruth's Chris, and it can be just as entertaining.

As with food, with music I can appreciate a fantastically recorded and reproduced piece of music, heck I live in a house full of talented musicians. But, in the end, I can listen to it on anything if its for entertainment purposes.
I think of it like digital movies. Is a digital picture as analog or continuous as film? No, but there is a point where you could project a 16k movie on a stand size (not IMAX) sized screen and no one could tell the difference, but give the film even a day out of its package and the screen in the theatre will have black fuzz dots and scratches. With music, if there is a fast drop-off on the record, the needle will likely not hug the line, so data was missed then there is degradation of the sound by wear and tear. I'm a fan of digital, but high quality digital. Tidal and other "lossless" music streaming platforms are nice, but CDs were definitely the go to for sound quality before such platforms. Definitely not convenient though, so it wasn't something I could use all the time. Like you, I had to settle for whatever mp3 or streaming garbage I had available, and I saved classical music, old rock, opera, etc for the CDs.
Dadhawk (07-03-2020)