follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was eventually going to post my impressions in a separate thread, but this will do just fine. I went to the NYAS with some of my car enthusiast friends and put some time around both the FR-S and BRZ.

I personally didn't like the seating, simply because I'm 6'2" 225lbs. I couldn't adjust the seat properly enough to seat myself the way I like to sit when tracking a car when wearing a helmet. There either wasn't a good enough view out of it, or there wasn't enough headroom for a helmet.

Seats were nice. Not the best seats by any stretch of the imagination, but the BRZ's seats were nice overall. Steering wheel was well shaped too.

Shifter was surprisingly tight for anything "stock" with a Subaru badge on it, very impressive. Throws were good enough for me, I'd just upgrade the bushings to make it super-solid. The clutch pedal is ultra-light, but it maybe that I'm used to heavier performance and twin-plate clutches. I did not like the pedal layout actually. Heel-Toe was tough for me to simulate.

Car looks good from any angle. Stereo doesn't cut it, at all, typical Subaru low-end stuff here. The tires were laughable, and should be the first mod anyone does to the car, even before the exhaust or shifter bushings.

Between the two, the BRZ is the better choice as it's interior is so much nicer all around. The gauges in the FR-S were yuck. I thought the orange looked horrible, the grey was ok, the white was very nice, and the BP was sexy.

Here's some quick pics:

Last edited by JohnnyR; 04-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #30
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaba View Post
when I drove my girlfriend Acura RSX years ago it was much more stiff ride than my TC if anybody could compare the rsx to the fr-s that would be great .
My girl has a 02 rsx type s. Recently we put function and form type 2 coils overs on it but its not bad ride. Stock it is alittle stiff because the type s rates are just slightly under those of the type r..a stock rsx has softer springs but I haven't been in one.the rsx is also heavier by about 200 lb
Grip Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #31
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

@JohnnyR, have you seen any possible replaceable bushings in this shifter system? I know for rwd is generally direct shifting, my s14 has no bushings in the shifter assembly. And yea the tires are from a prius, they put them there because they can slide but have firm sidewalls for response.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #32
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Ronin View Post
@JohnnyR, have you seen any possible replaceable bushings in this shifter system? I know for rwd is generally direct shifting, my s14 has no bushings in the shifter assembly. And yea the tires are from a prius, they put them there because they can slide but have firm sidewalls for response.
I haven't noticed sorry, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy with me tearing the boot/console apart. I was curious on this as well, if there were a full system, direct, or if there was a "shifter cage" (which would hold 4 bushings). And since the person there only knew to throw out hip-catch phrases tied to the words Boxer, Low CG, and "pure driving pleasure" they weren't much help with anything at all. But they certainly made sure to tell me to run to my dealer on Monday, because these things are going to fly off the lot.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have a similar small coupe and the back seats are just meant for easily throwing stuff back there or if you need to have 3 people with you, you can push the passenger seat up to give the rear passenger enough room. Nobody should ever have to sit behind the driver unless it's a child seat. So yeah, back seats are mainly useless but definitely nice on the rare occassion you need them. So I'm glad they have back seats regardless of the space.
Bristecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #34
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

lmao @ "hip catch phrases @Bristecom yea 3rd person actually will lay across my rear seats even tho i dont have any seat belts back there. stubborn people i hang with.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
iDriveFast

Drives: Civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I have a similar small coupe and the back seats are just meant for easily throwing stuff back there or if you need to have 3 people with you, you can push the passenger seat up to give the rear passenger enough room. Nobody should ever have to sit behind the driver unless it's a child seat. So yeah, back seats are mainly useless but definitely nice on the rare occassion you need them. So I'm glad they have back seats regardless of the space.
With this car forget backseats for those rare occasions. They arent functional even for kids. Sitting behind the driver is impossible. Sitting behind the passenger will almost require the seat to be pushed all the way up for the most part so both the rear and front passenger will be uncomfortable.
iDriveFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #36
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveFast View Post
Sitting behind the passenger will almost require the seat to be pushed all the way up for the most part so both the rear and front passenger will be uncomfortable.
Well on that "rare occasion" he/she will just have to bloody well put up with it!

One trick for carrying one extra person that works on some cars with 2+2 seating - have them sit obliquely behind the driver with their legs behind the passenger seat - gives them much more leg room.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #37
iDriveFast

Drives: Civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Well on that "rare occasion" he/she will just have to bloody well put up with it!

One trick for carrying one extra person that works on some cars with 2+2 seating - have them sit obliquely behind the driver with their legs behind the passenger seat - gives them much more leg room.
If i remember correctly there's something (like a hump) blocking the middle of the rear floor so its not flat. They might as well just lay in the back seat lol. But when i receive this car the rear seats will just be folded down at all times.
iDriveFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #38
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I really really like the Whiteout/SWP color, after seeing it in person. It's less beige/cream than SWP on other Subaru's and more like a white with crystal flake, or at least it looked that way in the auto show lighting. Asphalt/DGM is really nice too. Not too crazy on the brand exclusive colors (Hot Lava and Subaru WR Blue).

Goes without saying that the BRZ interior is much nicer than the FR-S. The seats and gauges really do it. Oh and also, the faux carbon fiber dash piece looks tacky in the FR-S and I wouldn't consider replacing the BRZ's silver piece with it as some potential owners plan to.

I like the throw and the feel of the shifter, its S2000-ish. Clutch is light but that's expected for stock.
Pedal placement and seat height is nice too.

I fit in the back okay with my friend in the driver seat set to how he likes it.
But then again neither I nor my friend are tall dudes (5'7 and 5'8 respectively).

Funny thing, sitting in the GenCoupe and FR-S back to back the FR-S has more rear headroom, not that it really matters.

Overall, after seeing the white color and the interior of the BRZ Limited I'm happy about my choice. Now to wait for a test drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReaper View Post
after sitting in the FRS at the NY auto show on Sunday, i hate to say that I have to give up my hopes of getting it...6'2 245 just wasnt getting in the car comfortably.. seats are great, car is great but my knees are practically touching the steering wheel..I tried to think thin and it still didnt work..lolmaybe I will wait till my order arrives at the dealer before making a final decision
Did you try tilting the steering wheel? I was able to tilt it in the BRZ.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #39
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Nothing could look tackier than that fake aluminum dash slab, totally silly in a sports car, this is not some faux-Lexus like the Genesis sedan. There is even an option in the JDM BRZ accessories catalog to upgrade to the black carbon-fiber look.

I initially preferred the black tach, and still do, but am getting more comfortable with the white one now. As to the seats, sure the Alcantara ones look better but that is only on the limited. Not crazy about the color of the premium's cloth seats.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Can everyone please stop bitching about the back seat? The car is the size of a Miata; did you honestly expect people would be able to fit in the back? The only reason the back seat is there is so you can pay a lower insurance premium, and to convince your significant other that the car has some measure of practicality. Other than that, it's not really meant for putting people in!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Can everyone please stop bitching about the back seat? The car is the size of a Miata; did you honestly expect people would be able to fit in the back? The only reason the back seat is there is so you can pay a lower insurance premium, and to convince your significant other that the car has some measure of practicality. Other than that, it's not really meant for putting people in!
not to mention that it really only applies to the 6 footers.
Shorter drivers could squeeze people in the back seat in a pinch.
And the real short people (think asian women size) could easily fit 4.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #42
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
+1
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote