follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

View Poll Results: Interested in a double din Android unit?
Yes, I'd be interested 247 78.66%
Maybe, depends on the capabilities of the deck. 67 21.34%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #169
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Alright, I'm done playing nice. You're a moron. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS View Post
does your build have a 120GB 6Gb/s SSD? no then how about?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
a $100 GPS dongle?
http://eshopic.store.buy.com/p/usb-2...241611566.html
what about this already overpriced $20 dongle?
Again.. GPS PLUS SOFTWARE. For the love of God, READ!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.251273100

Ok, so it's not 100$ like it used to be. Whatever, still more money.

Quote:
a $250 LCD screen?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52..._HD_1080P.html
so twice as expensive as this radio WITH a screen?
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/62...or_7_inch.html
how about the same monitor you get on the "$650" radio for $45
You're still peddling your Alibaba shit. Congrats, 99% of the people on this forum can't buy direct from supplier. What happens when your uber-chinese shit breaks?

http://store.mp3car.com/Preassembled..._p/mon-067.htm

Quote:
$75 for radio?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DVB-T...665153426.html
well this one for $13 will also do TV
Congrats, I hope you get great reception from a stick that's buried wherever you decide to mount your CarPC. I bet it will be AWESOME.

Meanwhile... for those who want decent reception using the stock antenna....

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1139

Google those USB stick FM adapters. EVERYONE says they suck. Plain and simple.

Quote:
I can live with $100 for OS since I can buy it once and keep it for 5-10 years without issues, I still have XP on a few machines and they are well supported to this day
I'm glad you can live with legally paying for an OS. Although judging by your overwhelming cheapness and fondness for chinese parts, I wouldn't at all be surprised if you installed illegal copies onto your machines.

Quote:
I'm not even sure what you want to spend the $125 media front on... you have to completely blow off the built in metro utilities, then VLC, then MWP and then 50 other media managers that are free for download, then give up on making one yourself which you can write on the device itself and then ditch all the emulation of all the other systems to finally arrive at "I'll pay $125 for something else"
I'm talking about commercial software to at least make listening to your music a decent experience. Centrafuse is 124.99 if you want the built in Nav. Or, knowing you, you'll probably want to use cheaper software. That's ok because you'll just close out the music software to open the Nav. Again, it's inconvenient and a pain in the ass to use.

Quote:
$513... wow, add another $100 to ship it all and were still below MSRP on the adayo and this is just what I got to with 15 mins worth of googling, it may not be a Half-Life cruncher but heck, dual core x86 at more then twice the speed of your radio isn't exactly underpowered, most netbooks had "fair" performance with one severely throttled 1.66Ghz core but thats ok, add a $150 and have an i3 at 3.1Ghz, how many orders of magnitude beyond your android would you like to go?
Ahh yes, the ignorance is showing again. Let me guess, you honestly believe that 1.66GHz x86 is soooo much faster than 1GHz ARM. You're sorely mistaken. It's actually quite pathetic. Go do your googling and look up the architecture differences between CISC and RISC processors. On top of that, Android is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more lightweight than Windows and whatever other cheapo crap software you load on.

Quote:
Much better then windows? well lets see, both have a phone interface but yet windows can manage multitasking as well as ohh say a PC, not to mention that 2.2 is now pretty much obsolete outside the cheap tablet market while XP, 7 and 8 are fairly well established, also you can run all 3 + any number of linux distros from one machine, heck you can vm them to run at the same time and throw in unix android and icrap for good measure ...and yes I did omit Vista as I consider that to be a 7beta more than a real OS...
You just said 2.2 was outdated but XP isn't? Seriously? I've run XP, Vista, and 7 on my CarPC.... NONE of them are optimized for use on a 7" touchscreen. 8 isn't even out yet. Linux? They have SOOOO many drivers and software ALWAYS runs smooth on Linux. [/SARCASM]

Quote:
And thank you for the pictures, having memory loss for the better part of the 90s and recent decade I would have never known about tags and "play by" options, now what happens when you add a whole bunch of mp3 without tags or misformatted tags or corrupt headers? ohh that's right you end up with the worlds most popular recording artist "unknown" spanning 500 screens, 100 years and every know genre ...but I know you will argue that you went through 32GB worth of mp3s and corrected each tag to reflect that Eminem = Emainem = ENM = random white guy = marshal matters... it sure is a lot more convenient then dropping them all into a folder...
90+GB actually.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Took a little over an hour for over 1400 CDs.

Buttt..... if you must, it can list the file name. So, if you do neglect your library, you're still gonna be able to tell what the file is.

Quote:
And I have hardware dating back to 1983, the only common theme is that every single one of these ventures casio, palm, webos, blackberry, android create a new hyperinflated device eco system, incompatible with all other hardware, that makes no financial sense when compared to a regular PC of the time and then flop when the next thing comes along leaving all devices obsolete... 7 years ago you would be running a blackberry retrofit what would you do with it today? My P4 from same time frame still works great, has drivers for all the new hardware, will accept a modern OS and still has parts available. Once again, $200 is not an awful price for a car stereo so go have a ball, but at $650, or rather $700 once you add that precious 32GB card that's still slower and smaller then the cheapest SSD, you are taking a bunch of underinformed people for a costly ride by pretending that this somehow reflects a true market value of the device. My main gripe with this thread is what seems to be your personal financial interest in having these units valued as close to $650 as possible.
Yea, I have tandy's sitting in my basement. That means absolutely nothing for credibility today.

I'm sorry, but who the **** are you, again? You're the person that sets the market value for any product in existence, right? Let me be QUITE clear. I make NO money from any of these units. None, zilch, zero. I have no financial gain to be had from any of this. I took my personal time and effort to SHARE something with the community. I did reviews on the AFE Intake, the AIRAID intake too. Does that mean I make money for every intake bought? You don't have to appreciate it, but to turn around and insult me by insinuating I'm only doing this for financial gain? SCREW YOU.

You came in here acting like a pompous, know-it-all asshole. I tried to be nice and kindly let you know that you were misinformed. But no, your ignorance and fact twisting continued, as did my continuous corrections of your misinformation. You've contributed NOTHING. Post after post of your ignorant drivel has clogged up this thread. Make your own damn post about your overpriced CarPC. I have one, I know what the hell I'm talking about.

You're officially a troll, and a shitty one at that. You've got zero purpose here. So with all due respect (as I now have none for you). Shut the **** up, and get the **** out of my thread.

...oh and have a nice day.

Last edited by 2forme; 10-21-2012 at 07:59 PM.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #170
gerrylum

Drives: 2006 Scion tC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think most of us know we could build a carPC if we wanted to. I built one for a car I owned in the past and, while it was cool back then, I can't say I'd ever want to do it again, especially now that there's an android alternative. One of the main reasons I want to get this is to get Google Maps navigation in my car without just mounting my phone on the dash. This is an elegent, SIMPLE solution for those willing to spend a little more money to save the time and frustration of building a carPC. The fact that I'm a fandroid, and this satisfies all my head unit desires PLUS it has android is just icing on the cake!
gerrylum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerrylum For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #171
CMOS

Drives: 2012 FUJI Z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Alright, I'm done playing nice. You're a moron. Plain and simple.

Yes, it does.

Again.. GPS PLUS SOFTWARE. For the love of God, READ!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.251273100

Ok, so it's not 100$ like it used to be. Whatever, still more money.

You're still peddling your Alibaba shit. Congrats, 99% of the people on this forum can't buy direct from supplier. What happens when your uber-chinese shit breaks?

http://store.mp3car.com/Preassembled..._p/mon-067.htm

Congrats, I hope you get great reception from a stick that's buried wherever you decide to mount your CarPC. I bet it will be AWESOME.

Meanwhile... for those who want decent reception using the stock antenna....

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1139

Google those USB stick FM adapters. EVERYONE says they suck. Plain and simple.

I'm glad you can live with legally paying for an OS. Although judging by your overwhelming cheapness and fondness for chinese parts, I wouldn't at all be surprised if you installed illegal copies onto your machines.

I'm talking about commercial software to at least make listening to your music a decent experience. Centrafuse is 124.99 if you want the built in Nav. Or, knowing you, you'll probably want to use cheaper software. That's ok because you'll just close out the music software to open the Nav. Again, it's inconvenient and a pain in the ass to use.

Ahh yes, the ignorance is showing again. Let me guess, you honestly believe that 1.66GHz x86 is soooo much faster than 1GHz ARM. You're sorely mistaken. It's actually quite pathetic. Go do your googling and look up the architecture differences between CISC and RISC processors. On top of that, Android is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more lightweight than Windows and whatever other cheapo crap software you load on.

You just said 2.2 was outdated but XP isn't? Seriously? I've run XP, Vista, and 7 on my CarPC.... NONE of them are optimized for use on a 7" touchscreen. 8 isn't even out yet. Linux? They have SOOOO many drivers and software ALWAYS runs smooth on Linux. [/SARCASM]

90+GB actually.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Took a little over an hour for over 1400 CDs.

Buttt..... if you must, it can list the file name. So, if you do neglect your library, you're still gonna be able to tell what the file is.

Yea, I have tandy's sitting in my basement. That means absolutely nothing for credibility today.

I'm sorry, but who the fuck are you, again? Let me be QUITE clear. I make NO money from any of these units. None, zilch, zero. I have no financial gain to be had from any of this. I took my personal time and effort to SHARE something with the community. I did review on the AFE Intake, the AIRAID intake too. Does that mean I make money for every intake bought? You don't have to appreciate it, but to turn around and insult me by insinuating I'm only doing this for financial gain? FUCK YOU.

You came in here acting like a pompous, know-it-all asshole. I tried to be nice and kindly let you know that you were misinformed. But no, your ignorance and fact twisting continued, as did my continuous corrections of your misinformation. You've contributed NOTHING to this thread or the topic at hand. Post after post of your ignorant drivel has clogged up this thread. Make your own damn post about your overpriced CarPC. I have one, I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

You're officially a troll, and a shitty one at that. You've got zero purpose here. So with all due respect (as I now have none for you). Shut the fuck up, and get the fuck out of my thread.

...oh and have a nice day.
Ok, thank you for that excellent assessment, I'm sure that your intelligence is far superior to mine which is why you cleverly paid $650 for that radio and I so stupidly traced it back to the mfr. at less then half the price.

Also, please send me the reference to your 120GB SSD on the android radio since it looks to me like it kinda sorta has almost no memory at all.

Which software? you mean making the builtin Bing maps in Win8 work with GPS? that will be so difficult that i bet MS will shutdown over such a technical difficulty.

When my uber-chinese shlitz breaks I can go out and get another one for the same $15, you have to buy a whole new radio...

Well that's your first problem, you forgot to plug the antenna in, you know that little connector on the opposite side of the usb connector? also I don't add FM to my carPCs anymore since I have "the internet" which allows me to actually listen to things like "BBC" not a commercial ridden local radio channel playing the same 10 songs back to back, if I had any interest in FM I'd probably buy ohhh a radio but obviously I'm looking for a home media PC with all my things already on it and youtube to fill any gaps aside from news which I can stream from any region of interest.

Also, I don't mind paying once in a blue moon for windows since everything I buy either comes with a copy of it, or I get msdn copy direct from MS or my work pays for it, not a major life expense since I can move the OS to my next PC and quite a lot of things are included as standard.

I don't need to close anything, I can have multiple desktops each simultaneously running a full screen piece of software, now try using youtube on the droid and check an email at the same time... for reference it appears that's a one click operation in mentro without interrupting your video

No, you're the one that can't read and follow links 1.66 atom is a little bit faster then 1Ghz Cortex8 minus the GPU which is why notbooks got a bad rep for it, but the cheapest ebay build I posted is using a dual core 2.13Ghz atom, and the next one up is using an i3, and yeah, those are faster. But thank you for the RISC/CISC note, having designed them before I never would have known the difference until someone pointed it out on an internet forum. And yes, I admit, android is lighter, it does not have to deal with all of those pesky drivers and add on cards, but I might be wrong, it might just really be 15GB of bill giving me the finger text files running in the background that slows it all down. I mean, I know how many ancient legacy apps and devices android is backwards compatible with since its market release in 2008.

XP should be outdated but it works, it really really works, I have machines running XP and I can change the shell and play my newest games and not care. How well are the things designed for your phone working on your tablet working across mfrs. and across different versions? Ever brick a phone before on the manufacturers OTA upgrade? I have, millions of people have, you can't just pop the recovery CD in and hope for the best. Over here you don't even get that level of support since I doubt you can convince "adayo" to send you a free radio next year if the firmware ever gets corrupted.

Yes, I'm sure the process is flawless, not minding the 500 hours it would take me to un-mix every mix CD I ever got and identify who the hell someone is, when they did it and what the song name was based on DJ no-names screeching. Yes, I'll stick to my ancient ways.

Ohh but it does have credibility, I went online on my PC from late 90s without an issue other then dust, many companies still run those machines as their backbone regardless of the age. This is how I know that in 5 years my carPC will still run all of the things I need and I'll be able to get spare parts. Where are you going to get support for your device that has planned obsolescence built in? Remember that adding "adayo" to the front of the unit does not change the fact that it was made shenzhen for well below $200.

Ohh well then thank you too, thank you and your mother and your dog.

If you want to claim that you're "sharing" then why did you get so touchy over the alibaba stereo, anyone with working eyes can tell its the same exact unit and its blatantly obvious that the mfr. is advertising them for $350 without the "adayo" sticker, not only that, they have every incentive to sell you one since if they can find someone willing to pay $450 for it + shipping that is automatically $250 extra in their pocket over the $200 that they sell it to distributors (which includes a profit FYI). You keep on trying to convince everyone how this $150 tablet attached to a $15 radio is superior to a $650 computer at the same price point and I consider that absolutely hilarious.
CMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #172
2forme

Garage
Quote:
blah blah blah
I have low tolerance for stupidity, and even less for repetitive stupidity. Double whammy for being an asshole while stupid.

Off to the ignore list .... ahh much cleaner now.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #173
CMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrylum View Post
I think most of us know we could build a carPC if we wanted to. I built one for a car I owned in the past and, while it was cool back then, I can't say I'd ever want to do it again, especially now that there's an android alternative. One of the main reasons I want to get this is to get Google Maps navigation in my car without just mounting my phone on the dash. This is an elegent, SIMPLE solution for those willing to spend a little more money to save the time and frustration of building a carPC. The fact that I'm a fandroid, and this satisfies all my head unit desires PLUS it has android is just icing on the cake!
And I completely agree that at $200 this is a perfectly capable radio, but is it worth $650?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #174
CMOS

Quote:
I have low tolerance for stupidity, and even less for repetitive stupidity. Double whammy for being an asshole while stupid.

Off to the ignore list .... ahh much cleaner now.
I am truly sorry for your inability to accept and comprehend facts and objective reality and that you paid $650 for a $200 stereo. If anyone else would like to buy it for $350 and under, feel free to find my links, also feel free to buy a real PC for the $650 that 2forme would like to sell it to you for, but of course if you would like to get the brand name "adayo" labeled unit, feel free to PM the OP, I'm sure he has tons of spare parts and million mile warranties to give you for his $400 profit.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #175
2forme

Garage
Quote:
I am truly sorry for your inability to accept and comprehend facts and objective reality and that you paid $650 for a $200 stereo. If anyone else would like to buy it for $350 and under, feel free to find my links, also feel free to buy a real PC for the $650 that 2forme would like to sell it to you for, but of course if you would like to get the brand name "adayo" labeled unit, feel free to PM the OP, I'm sure he has tons of spare parts and million mile warranties to give you for his $400 profit.
You're a tool if you think I've sold anything on here. I've had a few people PM me, but I'm not a retailer, nor am I selling anything. There's a reason why there are thanks on my posts and not yours.

I've attached some advice for you.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #176
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
CMOS, I gave you cred for finding the wholesale link, but now you're just being a ****head because you're in argument mode. Unfortunately I think you're both in that mode.

I think anyone interested in an Android head unit (the title of this thread) thanks you for your input and opinion and wishes you well with your Windows car PC.

You could go on and say more in here, but why? Just start a wonderful Windows PC thread and let everyone decide for themselves.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote For This Useful Post:
CMOS (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #177
CMOS

Quote:
You're a tool if you think I've sold anything on here. I've had a few people PM me, but I'm not a retailer, nor am I selling anything. There's a reason why there are thanks on my posts and not yours.

I've attached some advice for you.
Ohh noes someone on the internets is trying to offend me with clip art.

Yes I'm sure that you had no financial interest in the group buy and that's why you were so excited to find your radio for half price on alibaba that you kept arguing how superior it is to a DIY carPC after I said its perfectly fine as a $200 stereo but not worth anywhere near $650 .

Also, what is the basis of your argument anymore? That people should pay $650 for a $200 radio that can be bought for $350?

Any other baseless ad hominem attacks you'd like to share?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #178
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
CMOS, I gave you cred for finding the wholesale link, but now you're just being a ****head because you're in argument mode. Unfortunately I think you're both in that mode.
You're absolutely right. I got suckered into argument mode. I got too aggravated over someone that isn't worth it.

I apologize to anyone else who may have been offended by anything I've said. Sometimes it's hard to pull out of that mode when someone irritates you that much.

Back on topic now

I actually just got an email from the makers of the ca-fi unit. They are going to be sending me a software update to download. This is exciting because 1) they are apparently paying attention to the software and 2) because it provides a lead for possible rooting. @ProTekk, would you like me to forward the software to you for reviewing when I get it?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #179
CMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post

I think anyone interested in an Android head unit (the title of this thread) thanks you for your input and opinion and wishes you well with your Windows car PC.

You could go on and say more in here, but why? Just start a wonderful Windows PC thread and let everyone decide for themselves.
I agree completely, as I have said a number of times before its a decent $200 radio, you can pay $350 if you'd like which I consider to be on the high side but I'm sick and tired of people trying to compare an android or ipad to a pc, its not, one of the 3 is used to design all others so any additional argument revolves around feelings and religious beliefs.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #180
CMOS

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I got suckered into argument mode. I got too aggravated over someone that isn't worth it.
Yes, you are so over it that you had to follow up with another ad-hominem attack.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #181
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
as I have said a number of times before ...
And really, thanks very much as it's good to see an opposing opinion.

We've well and truly seen it now. Enjoy your Windows thread.

Back on topic ... what's the cheapest this thing can be obtained for direct from China? I'm not interested in paying $400 for a warranty on a $200 device.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #182
themadpants

Drives: .
Any chance of getting a mod to clean up this thread?

coyote,I think if you want to get it for $200-300 (Adayo), you would have to look at alibaba or the likes.
I have seen a very similar unit to the ca-fi on eBay for 500, but I believe it does not have the ca-fi gui, but the same functionality is there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170911693679

I might take the plunge on this one, and see if I can work with 2forme to do a comparison?
themadpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to themadpants For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-22-2012)