follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noise difference between seats down with stripped trunk vs stripped out back seats?

As in the title, would like to know from people who have done this. I literally never use the back seats and would vastly prefer to have that weight gone. I don't see the point in installed a Shrader seat delete, as that seems a bit pointless reducing some weight and reinstalling some of it back. So I'd rather strip it out. All I have is a catback and lots of mechanical whine and chuntering from my various bushes, inserts, engine mounts and I'm also getting an alu driveshaft put in soon. It's very bearable with a stripped trunk and the back seats down - in fact this is how I prefer to drive to get all the lovely mechanical noise. How much louder would the back seat delete make it? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The metal underneath the rear seats ( like the trunk space) is very thin, it will add some extra road noise just as the trunk does. So having them folded down is definitely still filtering noise. I can't really gauge how much, but it's noticeable. If you're already used to having the seats down, I don't think it'd bother you
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I have the Shrader seat delete. It weighs next to nothing. I pull the bottom part out about once a year (two bolts) to get back there and clean the inside of the back window. It comes with sound mats that go under the delete. When I have it out, the road noise goes WAY up.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
It weighs next to nothing
It's just that in their description it says you save 23 lb or so overall, and it has occurred to me that it's a disappointingly low figure so I presumed that's due to the fact that you're putting something in. So what exactly is next to nothing? Not to mention I'm not really a fan of how it takes up room in the back. I'd rather keep it open so I can pop in my mountain bike whenever I want without having to unclip the whole thing.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
It's just that in their description it says you save 23 lb or so overall, and it has occurred to me that it's a disappointingly low figure so I presumed that's due to the fact that you're putting something in. So what exactly is next to nothing? Not to mention I'm not really a fan of how it takes up room in the back. I'd rather keep it open so I can pop in my mountain bike whenever I want without having to unclip the whole thing.
It is only thin plastic with a thin carpet glued to it. Heaviest part is the sound mats, which you can leave out.

It is just for looks. It is so thin, it cannot support any real weight.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Why not just take them out and see what it sounds like? Maybe even make a video as a reference for people who have the same question.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Maybe even make a video as a reference for people who have the same question.
too much work lol. I may just take it out... I guess I forgot that I can just put it back in!
BigTuna (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
TunaNoCrust

Drives: 86, 981S, RX8, 2500HD, GenesisV8
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I took the rear seats out and basically all the rear paneling not so much for weight reduction, but so I don't scuff them up when I put my race tires back there.

It is very noticeably louder. Major increase in the exhaust noise (mines TRD exhaust), road noise (4 and 3 degree of camber on <100TW Tires), and anytime you run over gravel it is like fireworks. I also have complete flat bottom and diffuser so that may amplify it. If you are at all questioning how loud it is, I would not do it.

However for me, I don't care as weight savings and space for tires far out weighs my concerns over noise as this is my track car.
TunaNoCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TunaNoCrust For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaNoCrust View Post
I took the rear seats out and basically all the rear paneling not so much for weight reduction, but so I don't scuff them up when I put my race tires back there.

It is very noticeably louder. Major increase in the exhaust noise (mines TRD exhaust), road noise (4 and 3 degree of camber on <100TW Tires), and anytime you run over gravel it is like fireworks. I also have complete flat bottom and diffuser so that may amplify it. If you are at all questioning how loud it is, I would not do it.

However for me, I don't care as weight savings and space for tires far out weighs my concerns over noise as this is my track car.
thank you. I think I'll skip it, it just seems like a lot of trouble for not much weight reduction. Unless the reduction is more universal, I feel like there's no point touching the back seats
Old 10-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #10
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
too much work lol. I may just take it out... I guess I forgot that I can just put it back in!
I have mine in and out all the time. Most of the summer they were out and I installed them for a road trip up north. It's literally four bolts and the back and bottoms are out or in.

I would try it and see what you think. That said, you'd need to drop a lot more weight to make a significant difference in performance.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
TRAKRAVN

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS - Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I put the shader rear seat delete in when I put in the harness bar. I figured I didn’t want the car to look pieced together by having inaccessible rear seats.
TRAKRAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRAKRAVN For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-01-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 11:39 PM   #12
Cubix

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I took out all the rear seats and panelling for a track day once and it was extremely loud. I would be worried about long term hearing damage if its a daily. For context it was a muffler delete only.
I will say that butt dyno did feel the acceleration difference.
Cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubix For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-01-2020)