follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #1863
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
Never actually seen a pic of your car @ichitaka05 and I’ve been on the forum since 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha it's a recent update. I'm hoping to do nice fall/winter photo soon and upload it on member journal.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #1864
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Technically if anyone wanted a Toyota made sports car you'd be looking at the Lexus RC, RC-F or LC.

Granted those are heavy as shit, cost at least twice as much as the twins, are lexus badged and are more towards the GT side of things, but they ARE in house built Toyota sports cars
But...
But...
But...
People want those cars at Toyota Corolla prices.
Ghost of Akina (10-06-2020), Vides990 (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #1865
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Since we're currently shitting on Toyota a bit for their sports car situation... Just get a Type R.

Honda Civic Type R vs. Toyota GR Supra 2.0: Turbo-Four Throwdown!

Someone reading this is no doubt shouting at the screen that it's unfair to compare the top-dog Civic to the no-frills Supra. If there were a way to get the good performance parts on the four-cylinder Supra, we would, but you can't. All this goes to show what a performance bargain the Civic Type R is. For thousands less, you get all the speed parts, a fundamentally better suspension, a faster car, a better-driving car, and the ability to bring friends and their stuff with you. However much the Supra 2.0 might seem like an attractive rear-drive alternative to the Type R, it just ain't even close.

I hate to see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
vh_supra26 (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #1866
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
To add insult to injury some dealers are marking up the 4 banger Zupra to $50k.

This is what ichitaka05 was probably referring too.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=124081&page=4

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/is-...-2.6213/page-5
Old 10-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #1867
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Since we're currently shitting on Toyota a bit for their sports car situation... Just get a Type R.

Someone reading this is no doubt shouting at the screen that it's unfair to compare the top-dog Civic to the no-frills Supra. If there were a way to get the good performance parts on the four-cylinder Supra, we would, but you can't. All this goes to show what a performance bargain the Civic Type R is. For thousands less, you get all the speed parts, a fundamentally better suspension, a faster car, a better-driving car, and the ability to bring friends and their stuff with you. However much the Supra 2.0 might seem like an attractive rear-drive alternative to the Type R, it just ain't even close.

I hate to see it.
If we throw in overheating as a factor the Type R will lose any matchup
Old 10-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #1868
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Wait.....you guys still have side markers on your cars? Mine eject themselves every time I have a minor off track excursion
Gave a friend an extra pair of clear jdm ones. They were stolen off his car one night when parked outside.

The honda emblem of the 2010s!
The Following User Says Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #1869
NaturallyAspirated

Drives: 2019 BRZ w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Wait and see what the what the 2nd gen would be. This would have gone back to hanging onto the FRS for an undetermined time and could have got caught up in the very real possibility (at that point in time) that there would not have been a 2nd gen. It was also of course a gamble that the 2nd gen could totally suck balls (which it remains to be seen) and then I would not be able to get a new 1st gen of any trim level or colour.
Don't forget the added wait time of skipping out on the first year model in case any major issues need to be ironed out or if things are tweaked for improvements.
The Following User Says Thank You to NaturallyAspirated For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #1870
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
Gave a friend an extra pair of clear jdm ones. They were stolen off his car one night when parked outside.

That sucks but lucky you had a set. I wish I hadn't sold mine from my FRS, I still have the orange ones on the BRZ I don't know if I want to go clear or smoked or something this time around....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #1871
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That was my dilemma for a while

Keep my high mileage but problem free FRS until it started having problems and I needed to throw money at it? It is one thing for somebody buying it used and having to spend some cash but a totally different scenario when you have to start pouring money into a car you already paid $30K for.

Buy a new one now when I know what I am getting and there is zero risk of being disappointed. Managing to snag a Hakone was just icing on the cake in this scenario since I didn't think I had a hope in hell. The only other ones I would have been interested in were a WRB (so so common) or red BRZ so the availability was still restricted.

Wait and see what the what the 2nd gen would be. This would have gone back to hanging onto the FRS for an undetermined time and could have got caught up in the very real possibility (at that point in time) that there would not have been a 2nd gen. It was also of course a gamble that the 2nd gen could totally suck balls (which it remains to be seen) and then I would not be able to get a new 1st gen of any trim level or colour.

I figure that there is no way I can lose by picking up a new 2020 even if the 2nd gen turns out to rock my world. I can always trade in in 3 years once the true ability of the new version is know and possibly even avoid any first MY issues that are almost certain to surface.

The biggest questions are going to be: Did they change it enough to open up the demographics a bit so they sell enough to keep going? If they did make those changes is it still going to be a car that interests those that liked the first gen so much? Did they only make the new one because they are contractually obligated or is there still any passion left in the developers so they tried to maintain the ideal of what it started out as?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyAspirated View Post
Don't forget the added wait time of skipping out on the first year model in case any major issues need to be ironed out or if things are tweaked for improvements.
Yep Had that covered.
NaturallyAspirated (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #1872
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Technically if anyone wanted a Toyota made sports car you'd be looking at the Lexus RC, RC-F or LC.

Granted those are heavy as shit, cost at least twice as much as the twins, are lexus badged and are more towards the GT side of things, but they ARE in house built Toyota sports cars
Those are sport sedans and a heavy GT. If those get counted as sports cars then the TRD Avalon and Camry are for you:

gymratter (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #1873
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post

I hate to see it.
As a dad with a toddler, the Civic Type R is a very tempting package. I was against FWD until I drove a Renaultsport Megane RS275 last year and it opened my eyes up to how well modern FWD hot hatches can handle and how fun they can be to drive. Sure they'll never be able to match the playfullness of RWD, but they're a hell of a lot better than they used to be.

I sold my 2012 86 a month ago since I've been working from home since March and can use my wife's car a the moment. Wanted to get a good price before the new model came out and tanked first gen values even more.

So far I'm either waiting for news on the new 86/BRZ and STI, buying a Type R or looking very hard at my finances and whether I can afford the 2022 Audi S3 when that drops, because holy hell that interior is gorgeous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #1874
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post

So far I'm either waiting for news on the new 86/BRZ and STI, buying a Type R or looking very hard at my finances and whether I can afford the 2022 Audi S3 when that drops, because holy hell that interior is gorgeous.
I have two kids 6 and 3 and have a BRZ, granted we have 3 vehicles in the household so that helps. But if I had to choose 1 from your list to replace my BRZ and my RAV4 it would be between the STI and the Audi.
The Type R drives well for what it is, Honda did a fantastic job while keeping the FWD format. But the car is not pretty, I had one for a year and never really fell in love with driving it even though it was faster than my BRZ and had more space etc etc... Hopefully you can swing one vehicle for awhile and get a good sense of the upcoming a models to help decide.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #1875
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
+600 lb. is not "better" for what I value in a sports car...

From my perspective, what Toyota and/or Subaru *need* to do is to make a dedicated 2-seat cab-rearward version of the FT86!
Sounds like a Lotus type sports car is more your type of thing? Light, stripped out, more raw. But they are expensive.

As for the second gen, I’m just hoping it is a power bump with the same or less weight. Looks wise, it’s a cautious thumbs up, I do like the front fender humps of the current gen as others have mentioned. Be interesting to see how much or if they are reduced.

Can’t wait until it is revealed to get a proper look and review the specs.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #1876
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Quote:

And I'd have an RC-F tomorrow if they'd put a third pedal in one.

Closed Thread

Tags
#still slow, fake news