follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
Alexx933

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ tS Wheel Pricing

I picked up my stock 13 BRZ Limited at the beginning of the month and have been wanting to change the wheels out since then. That will allow me to save the original wheels as a winter set. In my area of Washington, the equipped all seasons will do just fine through the colder months.

In my craigslist browsing, I came across a set of tS wheels with factory PS4S mounted. They are 18x7.5 et 48 with a seller estimated 400 miles. What would you pay for a set? Only one wheel has a small curb rash.
Alexx933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx933 View Post
I picked up my stock 13 BRZ Limited at the beginning of the month and have been wanting to change the wheels out since then. That will allow me to save the original wheels as a winter set. In my area of Washington, the equipped all seasons will do just fine through the colder months.

In my craigslist browsing, I came across a set of tS wheels with factory PS4S mounted. They are 18x7.5 et 48 with a seller estimated 400 miles. What would you pay for a set? Only one wheel has a small curb rash.
Saw someone trying to sell a set for $2000... way overkill in my opinion.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Provided only one wheel has cosmetic damage and is not bent, provided the tires do not show any wear/are in perfect shape, and based on the cost of the MPS4S + the 17-inch STI steels (since no one seems to offer the 18-inch STI wheels standalone yet), I would personally try offering like $1,000-1,200 cash, and then work up perhaps several hundred higher as my top offer if I really, really wanted them. Given they are both OEM wheels and arguably desirable, the Seller might refuse such an offer at which case I would probably look at third party wheels given how many good options there are at reasonable pricing (as $1,500-1,600 probably isn't too far out from RPF1's and a set of FireHawk Indy 500s, is it?) But that all is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by OfficeWorker; 05-30-2018 at 09:18 PM.
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx933 View Post

I'm almost 100% this is my listing of my OEM BRZ tS rims. I'll be honest there isn't a lot of activity on these wheels. But I did receive a good offer in the upper 1000s. I'm not super motivated to sell them. My thoughts were give a decent discount vs OEM and I can get enough cash to buy a decent set of rims to replace them.
The OEM price to replicate this is:
OEM tS wheel: $361.86 * 4 = $1447.86
4 Pilot Sports: $200 * 4 = $800 (tire rack)
4 OEM TPMS: $42.21 * 4 = $168.84(https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/)
So total it is: $2416.7
My price is $2000 which is basically a free wheel and TPMS.

I know with different tires and TPMS and it could be cheaper. But you're not going much cheaper then $1400 on the wheels alone. IMO my price is on the high side but still reasonable. I'm also not very motivated considering the rarity of the wheel and the cost to replace with something similar specs.

Last edited by Elliotw; 05-31-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-03-2018), rcm47 (05-31-2018), strat61caster (06-04-2018), Tcoat (05-31-2018), Vic4uf (06-28-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #5
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotw View Post
I'm almost 100% this is my listing of my OEM BRZ tS rims. I'll be honest there isn't a lot of activity on these wheels. But I did receive a good offer in the upper 1000s. I'm not super motivated to sell them. My thoughts were give a decent discount vs OEM and I can get enough cash to buy a decent set of rims to replace them.

I know with different tires and TPMS and it could be cheaper. But you're not going much cheaper then $1400 on the wheels alone. IMO my price is on the high side but still reasonable. I'm also not very motivated considering the rarity of the wheel and the cost to replace with something similar specs.
Just sold my OEM tires, and the best I could do is 40% of the Tirerack price because the warranty no longer applies. Pulled OEM wheels generally go for about 50-60% of retail because you can buy new wheels from a discount dealer. The TPMS don't have much value on a used wheel/tire combo. Perhaps you can do better, but that is my experience over time. The good news is that the tS rims are quite nice and the PS4S tires are superb. You might do better than me, but I offered mine in Las Vegas and Southern California -- and that total market is large. Don't even think about shipping them. I had several offers for the tires from outside of my area, and it would have cost close to $400 to ship them through either UPS or FedEx. I read somewhere that shipping was about $35 per time, but that is total BS. You can ship them as a truck add-on, but that will still run almost $300 and I really don't trust that form of shipping.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:29 AM   #6
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Just sold my OEM tires, and the best I could do is 40% of the Tirerack price because the warranty no longer applies. Pulled OEM wheels generally go for about 50-60% of retail because you can buy new wheels from a discount dealer. The TPMS don't have much value on a used wheel/tire combo. Perhaps you can do better, but that is my experience over time. The good news is that the tS rims are quite nice and the PS4S tires are superb. You might do better than me, but I offered mine in Las Vegas and Southern California -- and that total market is large. Don't even think about shipping them. I had several offers for the tires from outside of my area, and it would have cost close to $400 to ship them through either UPS or FedEx. I read somewhere that shipping was about $35 per time, but that is total BS. You can ship them as a truck add-on, but that will still run almost $300 and I really don't trust that form of shipping.

I agree. But this is apple vs oranges. The supply of standard/PP wheels and tires is much higher. The desirability is much lower as well.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree. But this is apple vs oranges. The supply of standard/PP wheels and tires is much higher. The desirability is much lower as well.
What I found was that if a BRZ/86 owner really wanted new wheels, they would go aftermarket, like you, and generally get a wider wheel/tire. Again, my experience is that the only people who would buy an OEM tire/wheel are ones who can get them very cheap or people who need to replace a damaged wheel. In the latter case, you would need to sell them one at a time.

The fact that the tires will not have a factory warranty is a big deal in the price. All of that said, the market will determine how much you will get. If it were me, and I were just going to make the decision based on performance, I'd keep the wheels and tires you have as wider wheels and tires won't improve your performance. That said, if impressing your friends and getting your juices flowing requires you to have that wide look, and you have the money, then just take into account that you will get a beating financially on that move. A number of people questioned whether I should upgrade the tires on my new, less than 20 miles, BRZ. I took a real bath on selling those virtually new OEM tires, but in my case, I wanted the performance and I had the money. I was trying to justify getting new wheels as well, but I knew I would get butkas for the OEM wheels and there would be no performance improvement.

Again, best of luck....
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (05-31-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Ugh, I'd totally buy those from you if you weren't so far away!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Ugh, I'd totally buy those from you if you weren't so far away!
I sold tS Wheels and tires on the first day when I picked up my Subaru TS for $2000 CAD (which is $1550 USD), even better deal =)
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
In general I don't like when OEM parts are sold like a piece of junk. Hope to get a good offer. Good luck!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (06-04-2018)