follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM heated seats in aftermarket seats

I'v searched and couldn't find a definitive answer. I know that I can swap the passenger bladder/weight sensor into the seats but i'm curious if anyone tried to remove the OEM heating elements and fit them to their seats.

I have a limited brz and will be swapping out to Recaro Speed seats and want to keep as much OEM function as possible so the heated seats to me are a must. How hard is the OEM seat to take apart and are the elements a big pain in the ass?

Any suggestions on mounting brackets would be nice, I still can't decide what is the best route to take to mount it. The seats have the recaro sliders on already.

Picture of my interior in its current state
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
you're probably better off buying new heating pads, clipping the connector off your stock seats and put those on the wires for the heating pads to connect everything else. i recently redid a stock driver seat that had a blown airbag so that i could turn it into a desk chair and it's kind of a pain in the ass to remove the whole thing. if you do decide to really go the whole way then you're going to need hog ring pliers and hog rings. at least for the oem seats. no idea about your aftermarket ones, but i can only assume they would use the same thing. there are a bazillion videos on youtube about reupholstering car seats. i think that's a good place to start.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

yeah the more i think about it the more im leaning towards aftermarket heat pads and make them work with OEM harness.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Back in the day A buddy of mine had a bride seat and you can easily pull the pads off real fast and he just slipped a regular old heating pad behind it and plugged it into his cig. lighter and tossed the pads over it. I feel this could be easy and done much more cleanly with the proper stuff.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:07 AM   #5
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OFF-TOPIC: what steering wheel is that? wrapped/dipped garnish thingy? I <3 it !
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectXTR View Post
OFF-TOPIC: what steering wheel is that? wrapped/dipped garnish thingy? I <3 it !
Its the OEM wheel with perforated alcantara side, solid alcantara top botttom, Red alcantara center. Aus spec black trim. The rest of the interior is also alcantara, black buttons are also Aus trim, just google "brz black buttons thread".