follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
bigsley18

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Change trans fluid thru dipstick

I did a search prior to starting this read and could not find an answer. So I apologize in advance if the topic has already been covered.

Anyway, I owned a Honda Pilot before and the forum members always suggested and recommended filling the transmission with fluid through the transmission dipstick when changing out the trans fluid. Has anybody here done that? And if so, we're there any complications? Btw, I did it with the Pilot twice and never had an issue. It was so much easier. Just wondering if it would be any different with the BRZ/FRS.

Just for reference:

Originally Posted by tibsy92
The manual tranny has a dipstick like the subaru wrx's underneath all the cabling in an awkward position on the side, hard to find but it was found.. eventually.. its where the transmission filler plug is on the side.. . if not you'll have to either jack up your car and remove the underneath cover or try bend in from the top and remove the filler plug on the side of the transmission and insert a dipstick to check if there is any :

hope this helps
bigsley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Mr.
Supra Senior Member

Drives: AE86 & BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a98b0X0ahIY&list=PLDBDDF23430AFC913"]Differential and Transmission Fluid Swap with Red Line Oil - 2013 Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S - YouTube[/ame] derp derp ^^
Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
bigsley18

Thanks for the vid. I'll probably use it for future references.

Maybe I should clarify...I know the basic steps of changing out fluids for transmissions and diffs. My question is, after draining all the trans fluid, can you fill through the trans dipstick instead of through the fill hole?...Thus, eliminating the need to unbolt the fill hole and buying a crush washer everytime and/or risk stripping the same bolt?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsley18 View Post
Thanks for the vid. I'll probably use it for future references.

Maybe I should clarify...I know the basic steps of changing out fluids for transmissions and diffs. My question is, after draining all the trans fluid, can you fill through the trans dipstick instead of through the fill hole?...Thus, eliminating the need to unbolt the fill hole and buying a crush washer everytime and/or risk stripping the same bolt?
There is no dipstick for the trans on this car.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
bigsley18

According to forum member tibsy92, there is. Please read my reference in the originating post. There's also a picture but the link didn't show because I cut and pasted it here.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
Vid is blocked at work. Was he refering to an auto? There are two holes under the trans: drain and fill. Make sure the car is level and fill until it starts coming back out of the hole. I don't remember seeing a dip stick, but admittedly I was also not looking for one.
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
my guess is the automatic has one.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
My last Tundra didn't have an Auto Tranny dip stick. Called a sealed transmission. You had to introduce the fluid under the truck.

Anyway. Back to the OP's question. If there is a dip stick there would be no issue with filling the transmission. After all, it is designed to check the level and add fluid if necessary. Just add slowly.
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
BRZ-OwnzJo0

Drives: 2016 WRX Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can you fill it through the dipstick area? As long as you realize that you're not going to get a good reading on the fluid level when you are done. The normal way you fill a manual transmission is you remove the filler plug and fill until the tranny fluid reaches (and thus spills out a little) the filler opening. I imagine it says this in the video posted above?
BRZ-OwnzJo0 is offline   Reply With Quote