follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 07-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #2661
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Yep, that is what I am basing my comparison off of. I meant like a real analysis of incidents using telemetry and/or video overlays.

Oh gotcha. I think it would be wise to release but I doubt we will see. Maybe an overlay but I don’t think we will get telemetry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spuds (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #2662
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
It was in an IROC race at one of the ovals - Talladega or Daytona. . They ran two sprint races more or less back to back. Johncock punted Foyt in the first one. In the second Foyt was ahead of Johncock; he slowed enough to let GJ get ahead of him, waited until they got onto the backing got good run going and slammed into the back of GJ's car. Backed off and did it again. Second time Johncock spun up into the wall. As he was sliding down the track Foyt ducked underneath him and went by with his finger out the window.

When I was a kid I knew Foyt ever so slightly. In my memory he was not a very nice guy. I was just some shop rat hanging around but he tolerated me - a little. His dad was a really cool guy.

I like these racing stories,

The human side comes out , None are angels but most respect the other to be doing some clean racing but they all draw the line somewhere.
The rest of the season is where we will see if Mad Max has matured or will return to his former past driving into things…

As for Ham & Max they had already touched wheel in the straight, and seemed inevitable there would be a moment. The gloves were already off.

Perez & Kimi almost had same incident but Kimi lost out on that touch.

And Vettel figured out his destiny is in picking up the Garbage the fans left!
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #2663
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
And you all know that would have been true! Because, sir LH 44 is the G.O.A.T. (god of all things)
Pretty much any pro sports association I can think of has a similar media created superstar cast as virtuos savior of the world. Whether it's the NBA, MLB, NFL, MLB, NHL, PGA, MLS, they all tend to stray from their primary role of entertainment into hectoring us into compliance with their woke agendas. And they wonder why their ratings have cratered.

I fully respect anyone's involvement in whatever legal activity they choose but in the case of multimillionaire pro athletes often living lifestyles contrary to their claimed beliefs, please leave us alone to enjoy watching your superhuman skills on display.

Oh, IMO Ham was in the wrong and his comment about being alongside Max wasn't just unsporting, but provably false given the video evidence. Max is a lucky boy to have walked away from it.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #2664
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
I like these racing stories,

And Vettel figured out his destiny is in picking up the Garbage the fans left!
As time goes by I become more and more convinced Seb is the real deal. A genuinely good guy. I am officially a fan boi.
Spuds (07-19-2021), The Red One (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #2665
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd like to see an overlay image of Lewis's line every lap through that turn. Then see how much the lap in question differs from the others. Or even just an average of all laps other than the lap in question compared with that lap.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #2666
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'd like to see an overlay image of Lewis's line every lap through that turn. Then see how much the lap in question differs from the others. Or even just an average of all laps other than the lap in question compared with that lap.

Some of us may want an overlay of Max ONLY perfect line as well or at least from the sprint.

Well just to compare…

I suspect the data may have been lost when they packed the stuff away…
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #2667
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Saw an interesting vid (can't recall where) making the point that the "proper" racing line is often not the "winning" racing line. In my experience (long long ago and far far away) this is true. If everyone is on the perfect geometric racing line, you have a parade of cars (or bikes). Passing happens when one or both drivers deviate from the proper line either accidentally or intentionally. For example, an inside to outside and back switch is nowhere near proper, but done right can be very effective.

Yesterday, I'm convinced Lewis fucked up. It was an accident but he fucked up and let his front wing endplate sideswipe Max's rear tire. Lewis was nowhere near being able to complete a pass, wound up in "no man's land" and Max got punted. Lewis was close to a meter from the inside kerb. I'm really hoping he had so much push going on he couldn't get down there. I can't tell from the video I've seen if he did or not.
Spuds (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #2668
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Quote:
Saw an interesting vid (can't recall where) making the point that the "proper" racing line is often not the "winning" racing line.
Correct. The qualifying line is fastest and racing like will depend on traffic. The average driver may have 2 or 3 lines per corner and an F1 driver has several
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (07-19-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #2669
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:

Yesterday, I'm convinced Lewis fucked up. It was an accident but he fucked up and let his front wing endplate sideswipe Max's rear tire. Lewis was nowhere near being able to complete a pass, wound up in "no man's land" and Max got punted. Lewis was close to a meter from the inside kerb. I'm really hoping he had so much push going on he couldn't get down there. I can't tell from the video I've seen if he did or not.
I think it is less about could Lewis get closer to apex and more would his trajectory have left enough room outside for Max. There is nothing that says if the pass isn't on that you can't position your car to compromise your opponent.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #2670
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think it is less about could Lewis get closer to apex and more would his trajectory have left enough room outside for Max. There is nothing that says if the pass isn't on that you can't position your car to compromise your opponent.
He came in too hot and got understeer. Look at his trajectory after the incident. He was wayy off....
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Pat (07-21-2021), reni (07-22-2021), Spuds (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #2671
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
He came in too hot and got understeer. Look at his trajectory after the incident. He was wayy off....
Yes, I know. Some of that you can attribute to the contact but it doesn't look likely he would have had a full car width to the outside. It is about the same amount of space Max left him at Barcelona. Everyone keeps talking about the space he had at apex. That is why I am bringing it up.
Spuds (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #2672
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, I know. Some of that you can attribute to the contact but it doesn't look likely he would have had a full car width to the outside. It is about the same amount of space Max left him at Barcelona. Everyone keeps talking about the space he had at apex. That is why I am bringing it up.
I'll just leave this here.
I HATE F1's YT BTW.

Last edited by x808drifter; 07-20-2021 at 05:24 PM.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-20-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #2673
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Max would have been completely ahead at the exit though. Ham was on a tighter line, so his exit speed would have been much lower.
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #2674
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

It would be interesting to look at the lap to lap overlays from Hamilton and Verstappen (and other drivers as well). I watched Jolyon Palmer's analysis and, while I find his analyses generally really informative, in this case I'm not completely convinced. And that's where the overlays would be useful. I have the impression that Copse is taken flatout. My traditional brain tells me that a traditional widest arc line should be close to the fastest way through it. Palmer is suggesting that Lewis was habitually apexing the corner very, very early. That's going to put him way wide on the exit. I'm curious. I see that Silverstone is a track with multiple lines through many of the corners. It would be interesting to see which drivers would choose to take which lines.

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis