follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #15
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have two small gripes about Fumoto valves. First, when you drain the oil, you don't get everything out. I've seen videos that it leaves a bit in the pan. This isn't a huge deal as that old oil will just get mixed in with the oil and come out later... but my OCD wants as much as possible of the oil stuff out as possible.

Second is clearance concerns, however the twins have a lot of stock undertray protection at least around that area Plastic, not metal, and I think there's a hole for the drain plug, so it's not fully covered. Again, probably being OCD, but I don't like that possibility, even on stock height cars.

I can't complain about the ease of use with the valve though. It's just two things to consider.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #16
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
You should have only the front jacked up to drain, and then the amount of oil remaining would only be the amount the threads on the valve protude into the oil pan which is minimal. Not a concern at all.

The valve does not sit below the skid plate, mine at the lowest point was flush to the bottom of oil pan, and it is on the backside of the oil pan. So some catastrophic freak incident would need to happen for it to be of concern at which point you’d probably have several other concerns.

With the ease of doing an oil change with the valve (not that it was hard but a little tedious) now it is the quickest, simplest, non tedious task to do. you’ll probably increase your oil change frequency or at least not post pone and push off an oil change as frequently.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #17
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If you get a Fumoto without a nipple it will be slightly above the skid plate. Yes, there is a hole there, but it's pretty small and the chance of a direct impact on the valve is pretty low. There were some reports of damaged Fumoto valves, but those where with a nipple which does protrude below the skid plate and is easier to damage.

The biggest advantage for the Fumoto is it's much easier to drain the oil when its hot. I think the effectiveness of draining the oil when its hot to remove contaminants far exceeds the minimal amount of oil that's left, and you don't need to worry about burning your fingers, hand or arm.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
I have two small gripes about Fumoto valves. First, when you drain the oil, you don't get everything out. I've seen videos that it leaves a bit in the pan. This isn't a huge deal as that old oil will just get mixed in with the oil and come out later... but my OCD wants as much as possible of the oil stuff out as possible.

Second is clearance concerns, however the twins have a lot of stock undertray protection at least around that area Plastic, not metal, and I think there's a hole for the drain plug, so it's not fully covered. Again, probably being OCD, but I don't like that possibility, even on stock height cars.

I can't complain about the ease of use with the valve though. It's just two things to consider.

You never get everything out unless you do a complete flush like keep dumping oil in the top to completely flush out the system. I also have an oil cooler and you bet the oil isn't coming out of the radiator when I do a regular oil change.

I'm lowered 1 inch with the TRD Springs. Running no skid plate for 2 years and the fumoto valve with no problems. Not enough time for me to modify my skid plate to get it back on since I have aftermarket headers/turbo.

TBH I think my catback exhaust hangs lower.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #19
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I installed a 108SX valve last fall. I oriented to valve to offer decent accessibility to the drain nipple and the valve handle while giving a bit of protection behind the skid plate.

In December I was on a freeway exit ramp when a truck a couple of cars ahead lost several bags of what I later concluded was powdered chalk. the ramp was narrow and elevated and bags were in the center. There wasn''t room on either side to dodge so I tried to straddle. Ended up clipping one bag, When I got home i checked the valve and the bag had hit it and knocked the safety clip off the valve.

That worried me. I have a couple of extra clips, so the next time I had the car in the air I loosened the bolt slightly and reoriented the valve so the mechanism is better protected by the pan. I still think I can get a 90degree fitting on the drain nipple but not as easily as before. I know folks say they've never had a problem with one of these getting knocked open or off, but if you're looking for someone who is the poster child for unlikely shit happening to them, I'm your huckleberry.
Wally86 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #20
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I installed a 108SX valve last fall. I oriented to valve to offer decent accessibility to the drain nipple and the valve handle while giving a bit of protection behind the skid plate.

In December I was on a freeway exit ramp when a truck a couple of cars ahead lost several bags of what I later concluded was powdered chalk. the ramp was narrow and elevated and bags were in the center. There wasn''t room on either side to dodge so I tried to straddle. Ended up clipping one bag, When I got home i checked the valve and the bag had hit it and knocked the safety clip off the valve.

That worried me. I have a couple of extra clips, so the next time I had the car in the air I loosened the bolt slightly and reoriented the valve so the mechanism is better protected by the pan. I still think I can get a 90degree fitting on the drain nipple but not as easily as before. I know folks say they've never had a problem with one of these getting knocked open or off, but if you're looking for someone who is the poster child for unlikely shit happening to them, I'm your huckleberry.
Stories like this (and my own irrational fear and back luck) are exactly why I bought their heavy duty clip for the valve. I haven't put it on yet but I don't mind having to use pliers to remove the clip for every change
Old 04-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #21
86TOYO2k17

Are people not installing with the valve up? It’s essentially fully protected by the oil pan, and even more so skid plate.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #22
86TOYO2k17

Here’s the no nipple one. If draining into an oil pan no point or need for nipple.

Fumoto Original F-108 with LC-10 Lever Clip F-Series Engine Oil Drain Valve, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D99Q2B9...WY0FP7XYYYADC7
Old 04-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
Transport3r

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Here’s the no nipple one. If draining into an oil pan no point or need for nipple.

Fumoto Original F-108 with LC-10 Lever Clip F-Series Engine Oil Drain Valve, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D99Q2B9...WY0FP7XYYYADC7

The no nipple one is the only one I trust honestly.
Transport3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #24
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Are people not installing with the valve up? It’s essentially fully protected by the oil pan, and even more so skid plate.
Cus it's pointed down a bit eh?

Old 04-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #25
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Hmmmm. Let me take a look and rethink this.

The SX version has a thru/banjo bolt on the drain plug bore axis with the valve and drain oriented at 90 degrees to that axis. It seemed like a good plan when I bought it. Now, I'm not certain.

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F108SX...e%2C305&sr=1-1

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 04-27-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #26
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Hmmmm. Let me take a look and rethink this.

The SX version has a thru/banjo bolt on the drain plug bore axis with the valve and drain oriented at 90 degrees to that axis. It seemed like a good plan when I bought it. Now, I'm not certain.

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F108SX...e%2C305&sr=1-1
I posted this in the Fumoto install guide video on the FTSpeed channel years ago, but I wish I had seen this thread years ago when the first person asked. you do not want to install the F108SX model on our cars. Because of the angle of the drain hole, the F108SX outlet hole is always going to point at an awkward parallel angle to the skid plate hole. Although unlikely, if something catches on the body of the valve it also has infinitely more leverage to tear it off compared to the fixed stubby bodies of the non SX models.

The F108 and F108S both point in the direction of the drain hole, perpendicular to the skid plate hole as intended. The F108 has no nipple and is the safest, flushest valve. The F108S has a tiny nipple adapter that nevertheless does not significantly decrease clearance, and you can connect a plastic nipple with a hose to fill a gallon jug directly with zero risk of spilling a drop of oil. I have the F108S installed in my car and it is tucked well beneath the skid plate hole.

tldr; do not get the F108SX for our cars. get the F108 or F108S with 16mm-1.5 thread size. If you buy the F108S, also buy the 3/8" ID (inner diameter) clear hose and the plastic nipple adapter for extremely easy and clean oil changes.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (01-29-2022), Wally86 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #27
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
I posted this in the Fumoto install guide video on the FTSpeed channel years ago, but I wish I had seen this thread years ago when the first person asked. you do not want to install the F108SX model on our cars. Because of the angle of the drain hole, the F108SX outlet hole is always going to point at an awkward parallel angle to the skid plate hole. Although unlikely, if something catches on the body of the valve it also has infinitely more leverage to tear it off compared to the fixed stubby bodies of the non SX models.

The F108 and F108S both point in the direction of the drain hole, perpendicular to the skid plate hole as intended. The F108 has no nipple and is the safest, flushest valve. The F108S has a tiny nipple adapter that nevertheless does not significantly decrease clearance, and you can connect a plastic nipple with a hose to fill a gallon jug directly with zero risk of spilling a drop of oil. I have the F108S installed in my car and it is tucked well beneath the skid plate hole.

tldr; do not get the F108SX for our cars. get the F108 or F108S with 16mm-1.5 thread size. If you buy the F108S, also buy the 3/8" ID (inner diameter) clear hose and the plastic nipple adapter for extremely easy and clean oil changes.
All too true. Too soon old - to late smart.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #28
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
Cus it's pointed down a bit eh?

The portion that has the lever should be installed so that it is facing up or the very list sideways. I think people are installing it down, allow for greater possibility of the lever portion getting hit and potentially opening. I attached a pic above of the correct orientation. Like that and with the no nipple it should not stick below the oil pan, let alone have lots of clearance above skid plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (04-28-2021)