follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,057 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Funny, i modify constatly both my car and my tune for fun and for hobby, and to better understand things i m interested in.. So i m sick, good to know
Until today i would repute sick one that fo example pays more than 2k for a STOCK header and a tune for a basicaly stock car and he thinks he has a 280bhp car.. So sick am I
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
randomthoughts (08-01-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
And why doesn't it remember from session to session that I close “user level” and “origin” (Middle) (again who needs this?) so I can actually read the names of the tables (right)?
At the top of the window, File > Save Layout (or something to that affect). You're welcome!
Quote:
Speaking of copying, it’s a pita with ProEcu. If I wanted to copy 14.7 from load 0.7 to the next cells I get this.
Either copy the single value and Fill (Ctrl-F) that value or transpose, it works fine in my experience.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Tor (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,260 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Funny, i modify constatly both my car and my tune for fun and for hobby, and to better understand things i m interested in.. So i m sick, good to know
Until today i would repute sick one that fo example pays more than 2k for a STOCK header and a tune for a basicaly stock car and he thinks he has a 280bhp car.. So sick am I
First of all I never said that I have a 280bhp car or one that feels like it. You cannot gain that much with NA mods no matter how much weight you remove from the car. At least if someone wants to have a street legal car. So, don't put words on my mouth that I never said. And we were talking here about "OFT" vs. Ecutek. Please stay on topic and get over with what the others are doing. OK? My comment was general and related to the other general comment that an Ecutek tune is locked. The majority of people are not like you and they don't even have the time to do what you are doing. If they'll decide to modify their car, then they'll do it in a shop and use some professional tuner or use some existing package (e.g. a canned tune). So, I don't care if an Ecutek tune is locked. The factory tune is also "locked" and it was the work of some open community to reverse engineer the code and unlock it. If someone cares so much to unlock even an Ecutek tune, then it is possible and you know it.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #18
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
At the top of the window, File > Save Layout (or something to that affect). You're welcome!
Found it!

Thanks! That was nice!

Quote:
Either copy the single value and Fill (Ctrl-F) that value or transpose, it works fine in my experience.
But if I wan't to e.g. rescale and move several rows, I suppose that won't work.

It's not a big deal though. Just the need to select the exact same amount of cell that you copy from and to, is a bit more complicated and less intuitive than RomRaider. Obviously, I would not try to copy the values from "32 selected fields" into one field, so I can't see a reason why they made it that way.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #19
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yeah whatever. I said OFT, because it was mentioned in the subject and the main body text with or without quotes.

It is also true about the locking of the ECU. Personally, I don't care that much on this and it is a way to protect the intellectual property of the tuner. The factory ECU is supposed to be locked too and the majority of owners never care about it or never have a need to unlock it. If someone modifies his car heavily and constantly for many years, then yes it is another story and it might not be optimal to rely on a single tuner. However, such people are kinda sick and in many cases they won't even care to start a tune from scratch with another programmer. Sometimes even intentionally.

The problem with locking ecu occurs when people sell their cars. a lot are not heavily modified just tune and header/intake.

Often they remove header/intake but leave tune in ecu, as it was done by tuner and they never had cable, or they sold cable or lost it. but end result is new owner gets car with tune in it, that sometimes doesn't run to well as other mods removed like intake/header.

they then take it to dealer or another tuner to look at and ecu is locked to brzedit or ecutek or hks flash editor. any you require a bunch of different expensive software to remove old tune as all the lock systems are different.

theirs even a guy that wrote his own coding and apparently if you try to read the ecu it actually erases ecu tune instead, this apparently includes doing a simple Query ECU in ecutek.

in some cases its easier for people to bin the ecu and put in spare ecu rarther than buy expensive tune software/cables.

It would be heaps better if the tune systems that locked just READ locked ecu, but still allowed you to write over it to return to stock.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #20
Kodename47

Quote:
But if I want to e.g. rescale and move several rows, I suppose that won't work.
I was wrong, it's Stretch that works nicely. Does exactly what you want in that example too

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 08-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #21
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,057 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
First of all I never said that I have a 280bhp car or one that feels like it. You cannot gain that much with NA mods no matter how much weight you remove from the car. At least if someone wants to have a street legal car. So, don't put words on my mouth that I never said. And we were talking here about "OFT" vs. Ecutek. Please stay on topic and get over with what the others are doing. OK? My comment was general and related to the other general comment that an Ecutek tune is locked. The majority of people are not like you and they don't even have the time to do what you are doing. If they'll decide to modify their car, then they'll do it in a shop and use some professional tuner or use some existing package (e.g. a canned tune). So, I don't care if an Ecutek tune is locked. The factory tune is also "locked" and it was the work of some open community to reverse engineer the code and unlock it. If someone cares so much to unlock even an Ecutek tune, then it is possible and you know it.

your words:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=8

"My own car feels of an equivalent 250-260hp car and I don't think it has been ruined somewhere."

and more recently you bumped up to 270hp "feel", just can t find the post or lazy to find it, but i m sure a lot of people remember you saying that :ç )))
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Trueweltall (08-28-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 02:01 AM   #22
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Some arguments against Ecutek:
- First, if you get a remote tune - you WILL get a canned tune. That's the nature of remote tuning. So if the remote tune comes from Yummy tuning or Tablets Tuning, it's still a canned tune that in no way is tailored to your car.
I loled

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 08-07-2018 at 02:22 AM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #23
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Good writeup. One question I get asked monthly is "will you tune via OFT." My answer is always no--it is not worth the time. EcuTek has a TON of keyboard shortcuts that make copying/pasting/interpolating a breeze, along with navigation. Given the amount of tables/maps that need editing for a vehicle, you save a ton of time when you know how to use the software. The quick flashing time and combined with the support and overall lack of issues with EcuTek, it often costs substantially more in labor to tune with an OFT--so we do not do it.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (08-13-2018), Pointmutation (08-13-2018), Tor (08-16-2018)
Old 08-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #24
DiscoQuinn

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to bump an old thread, but this was exceptionally well written for my brain. Thank you.
DiscoQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
I'm going to bump an old thread, but this was exceptionally well written for my brain. Thank you.
Where is that guy @Tor anyways? I've been wanting to redo my load compensation tables, I remember he had great success using @Kodename47 's app. Alas, metric vs psi. So I'm going by "feel?"

Old 08-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #26
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Where is that guy @Tor anyways? I've been wanting to redo my load compensation tables, I remember he had great success using @Kodename47 's app. Alas, metric vs psi. So I'm going by "feel?"
I just use the log stats tab to do it manually and/or change the axis to use the same units that you're logging.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 08-31-2020, 04:30 PM   #27
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
I just use the log stats tab to do it manually and/or change the axis to use the same units that you're logging.
Yeah by "feel' I meant staring at logs for a couple hours. lol I will try messing with the axis. Thanks!