follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2020, 04:42 AM   #1
Apsley Garrard

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WEIRD - Abnormally quiet car after flash

So, I decided to install a catless EL header, catless resonated frontpipe and custom muffler. After I installed everything, I flashed one of Wayne's roms using tactrix. Car ran great up to that point and made great roaring sound.

Unfortunately, I got stopped by the police, and in my country it is illegal to modify the exhaust, so they forced me to have my car inspected within a week. So that day I put back the stock header and flashed the original rom. I noticed the car sounded quieter than before, but i thought it was only my imagination.

So I took the inspection, and right after that I put again the catless header, and started the car with the stock rom: car sounded really quiet, almost as if the header still had a cat. Also, like you all already know, the cold start can be very loud being catless, but it wasn't the case. The revs climbed high as usual during cold start, and my house should all be shaking, but it didn't happen. It sounded really, really quiet. Definetely not normal.

So, then I flashed again one of Wayne's roms, and still the same thing. The car still sounds as if it were catted. And my butt dyno tells me it isn't delivering all the power it should. Something isn't quite right and I don't know what it is. I took it to have it checked for exhaust leaks and they didn't find anything. I'm a total newbie but could it be something related to the cams or vvt? I haven't got any check engine lights as of yet. Any ideas would be welcome.
Apsley Garrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
tunes car reduce startup noise, less rpm less ignition retard means less noise at startup.The noisy high rev start iscto heat cat in header, so useless with catless header
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-21-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
Apsley Garrard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
tunes car reduce startup noise, less rpm less ignition retard means less noise at startup.The noisy high rev start iscto heat cat in header, so useless with catless header
Yes, I know. I just find it weird that it used to be really, really loud the first time I flashed Wayne's rom, and then when I flashed it again, now it's really quiet and not just on startup, but during all driving. And I'm getting the impression I'm not getting all the power.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsley Garrard View Post
Yes, I know. I just find it weird that it used to be really, really loud the first time I flashed Wayne's rom, and then when I flashed it again, now it's really quiet and not just on startup, but during all driving. And I'm getting the impression I'm not getting all the power.

log vvt cam positions if they are not moving with rpm cams may not have activated
Old 08-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
Apsley Garrard

Quote:
log vvt cam positions if they are not moving with rpm cams may not have activated
Sorry for taking long to answer, but I'm a total rookie and I've gone through all the hassle of learning how to use techstream and logging

here it goes:

Old 08-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Sorry for taking long to answer, but I'm a total rookie and I've gone through all the hassle of learning how to use techstream and logging

here it goes:

that looks normal

but also log the realtime cam positions and make sure the intake and exhaist cams actually change values when you rwv engine
Old 08-10-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
Apsley Garrard

Quote:
that looks normal

but also log the realtime cam positions and make sure the intake and exhaist cams actually change values when you rwv engine

So I've logged VVT values with techstream and the image you see is after starting the car, during idle. After that I stepped on the throttle most of the values rised (vvt change angle, etc.).

I also tried slewing the cams from bank 1 and 2, and the car almost stalled, so that leaves me thinking that they are working properly and the problem lies somewhere else.

What do you think? Could it be simply a bad ECU?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Quote:

So I've logged VVT values with techstream and the image you see is after starting the car, during idle. After that I stepped on the throttle most of the values rised (vvt change angle, etc.).

I also tried slewing the cams from bank 1 and 2, and the car almost stalled, so that leaves me thinking that they are working properly and the problem lies somewhere else.

What do you think? Could it be simply a bad ECU?

cams likely fine

doubt it ecu if it goes bad nothing runs

flash back stock tune if its just basic mods on petrol see if its all normal then
Old 08-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
Apsley Garrard

Quote:
cams likely fine

doubt it ecu if it goes bad nothing runs

flash back stock tune if its just basic mods on petrol see if its all normal then
I've just tried flashing the stock rom again. Car was cold so right after turning it on, revs climbed up to almost 2000. Car should be pretty loud and my whole house should be shaking, but didn't happen. It sounds almost like stock catted, seriously. It's really weird. It's almost as if the exhaust was clogged or something.

I've also tried one of OFTs roms for the first time, and the problem remains. Same goes with Wayne's rom.

And like I said, car is totally stock (including intake), except for the catless front pipe and catless header.

I've checked again thoroughly for exhaust leaks, and there aren't any.

Any ideas? I'm desperate and the dealer won't open until september. I don't know what else to do.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
Apsley Garrard

I'm using romraider's utility to compare images. I'm comparing the original image I downloaded and the very same image after flashing it into the ecu and driving 100km, and apparently there are 3 differences.

Tables "MAF sensor scaling", "Intake CAM advance angle normal AVCS" and "Intake CAM advance angle safe AVCS" are all zeroed out in my ECU. Is that normal?

Last edited by Apsley Garrard; 08-14-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #11
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Apsley Garrard they are the comparison. So shows the delta between the maps. At on the menu at the top left of the table you need to change the view option.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

Check one of your cats has not disintegrated and blocked exhaust
Old 08-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #13
Apsley Garrard

Quote:
Check one of your cats has not disintegrated and blocked exhaust
I took the car to my local mechanic. He took out the whole exhaust line and checked it. There were no trace of anything blocking the exhaust.

I'm taking it to the dealer on the 1st of september since it is still under warranty. Do they have any way to know that I've been doing things to the ECU? It would suck to have the warranty removed...

Thank you very much for your help