follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Question about Port / DI changeover

I've wondered something regarding the Port / Direct Injection changeover point. I know that the car switches from port to direct injection some time after warmup and the car is stopped, idling for ~5 -10 seconds.

My question is, what happens if you don't stop and let it idle down / switch injection modes? What if I leave my house right now and get on the highway and drive two hours without stopping? Will it stay stuck in port injection mode?
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I've wondered something regarding the Port / Direct Injection changeover point. I know that the car switches from port to direct injection some time after warmup and the car is stopped, idling for ~5 -10 seconds.

My question is, what happens if you don't stop and let it idle down / switch injection modes? What if I leave my house right now and get on the highway and drive two hours without stopping? Will it stay stuck in port injection mode?
It should switch the injectors as necessary. I don't believe that the port injectors are only used for startup.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:

Once you start driving and pressing the gas pedal, the ECU changes over to 100% direct. The port injectors only inject at higher loads for supplemental fueling.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
Once you start driving and pressing the gas pedal, the ECU changes over to 100% direct. The port injectors only inject at higher loads for supplemental fueling.
Incorrect.

This is the ratio map for Port Injection - 0% is DI only, 100% is PI only (table is slightly modified, the red boxes should also read around 35%)

That is for original cars, the facelift actually run PI more at higher loads, likely to do with better fuel mix.

@radroach it makes no difference when you set off. What you have read is about idle only.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Incorrect.

This is the ratio map for Port Injection - 0% is DI only, 100% is PI only (table is slightly modified, the red boxes should also read around 35%)

That is for original cars, the facelift actually run PI more at higher loads, likely to do with better fuel mix.

@radroach it makes no difference when you set off. What you have read is about idle only.
I'm confused; doesn't that table confirm what I said? 0% port ratio at lower loads (less than .4) and a non-zero ratio at higher loads? My experience is limited to what I've observed on my own car, but it must have been tuned that way if that's different from stock; sorry for any confusion.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
I'm confused; doesn't that table confirm what I said? 0% port ratio at lower loads (less than .4) and a non-zero ratio at higher loads? My experience is limited to what I've observed on my own car, but it must have been tuned that way if that's different from stock; sorry for any confusion.
The verbiage you used was that once you start driving and adding load, the ECU switches to 100% direct. I think that's why he was confused
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The verbiage you used was that once you start driving and adding load, the ECU switches to 100% direct. I think that's why he was confused
Correct, perhaps I was a little eager to jump the gun @Fred E. On a stock engine the only time it's 100% DI is at idle and at WOT between ~2300RPM and 4800RPM. The rest of the time it's a varying mixture.

You don't want to run too much DI only due to the cleaning of the valves and mixture formation.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #8
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

If you drive before the system is out of its warm up cycle it still uses a mix of port and direct except at idle.