follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 AM   #1
killy

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
EDFC behavior and initial values for automatic dampening

Hello everyone, sicne I have compelted the EDFC pro install on my flex As
I am looking at the charts for the adjustement levels form the speed and cornering G forces in the SA or SL and GA or GL modes.
I wish to ask for some advice from people that have used the system in automatic modes.

If I am using both adjustements (speed AND G forces) together is there a risk of reaching 0 clicks on the shock absorber in certain conditions?
Let's say I start from a 6 clicks front and 6 clicks rear (on a 16 clicks scale), with the car at a stand still.
If i go over 100 km/h, the speed adjustement is 4 click stiffer, so now I am at 2. If I take a big corner on that speed (let' say more of 0.45 g) the adjustement for that is 2 click stiff more.
In that case I am doing a corner at +100 km/h with one or more shock absorbers at full stiff.
that's sound a bit scary.

Should I keep this in mind and always keep my "stand still setting" ABOVE a certain level stiffness, never go below a certain value of clicks if i plan to use the automatic modes?
what do you recommend?
At what levels of dampening (0 to 16) do you set the EDFC with no speed or cornering, before driving in automatic modes?

thank you for your opinions
killy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I'd just like to say that I think that's interesting that they are adjusting the damping at speed via the top knobs like that. I thought that they only adjust when the car is stationary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I'd just like to say that I think that's interesting that they are adjusting the damping at speed via the top knobs like that. I thought that they only adjust when the car is stationary.
They can adjust the damping based on multiple simultaneous parameters, including G-force and speed.

This is precisely why active damping is banned in virtually every racing series, and has a presence in almost every high end car. It's like a cheat code.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by killy View Post
Hello everyone, sicne I have compelted the EDFC pro install on my flex As
I am looking at the charts for the adjustement levels form the speed and cornering G forces in the SA or SL and GA or GL modes.
I wish to ask for some advice from people that have used the system in automatic modes.

If I am using both adjustements (speed AND G forces) together is there a risk of reaching 0 clicks on the shock absorber in certain conditions?
Let's say I start from a 6 clicks front and 6 clicks rear (on a 16 clicks scale), with the car at a stand still.
If i go over 100 km/h, the speed adjustement is 4 click stiffer, so now I am at 2. If I take a big corner on that speed (let' say more of 0.45 g) the adjustement for that is 2 click stiff more.
In that case I am doing a corner at +100 km/h with one or more shock absorbers at full stiff.
that's sound a bit scary.

Should I keep this in mind and always keep my "stand still setting" ABOVE a certain level stiffness, never go below a certain value of clicks if i plan to use the automatic modes?
what do you recommend?
At what levels of dampening (0 to 16) do you set the EDFC with no speed or cornering, before driving in automatic modes?

thank you for your opinions

1. Yes, you can reach 0, and it will not go past 0. When you turn on the car, notice that the motor turns to max damping, and then backs off 2 full rotations, every time; this is a self-calibration.

2. Yes, depending on how you set it. Max damping is not unusable or dangerous, on a standard spec Flex A.

It sounds like you may need to find yourself a local EDFC Active Pro tuner. There are not many out there.

If you are unable to find one, I can tune the system for you.
wparsons (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
killy

Garage
Hello Mike,
yes tonight I made a few tests.
for now I am a bit cautious, I am trying to avoid reach 0 level damping, in order to avoid the car being on edge, especially on the streets where a sudden little bump can couse troubles on a full still damper...

During this last month, before installing the system, I ran 10 front and 8 back on the streets, with the standard rear sway bar.

Yesterday I installed a 16 mm adjustable rear bar and set it at the softest setting for now (around 30% more stiff than standard). I have to do more test with the EDFC.

I have tried activating the SL + GL strarting from a 16 clicks setting (full soft) front and rear and, on a winding road, it has reached 10. However I think it is too soft.

After that I tried 12 front and 10 back but the rear sometimes reached 3 clicks, maybe it is too stiff for the road...

I didn't know there were EDFC pro tuners in the first place , i don't even know where I can find one. Maybe we can talk about this?
Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
CSG Mike

Quote:
Hello Mike,
yes tonight I made a few tests.
for now I am a bit cautious, I am trying to avoid reach 0 level damping, in order to avoid the car being on edge, especially on the streets where a sudden little bump can couse troubles on a full still damper...

During this last month, before installing the system, I ran 10 front and 8 back on the streets, with the standard rear sway bar.

Yesterday I installed a 16 mm adjustable rear bar and set it at the softest setting for now (around 30% more stiff than standard). I have to do more test with the EDFC.

I have tried activating the SL + GL strarting from a 16 clicks setting (full soft) front and rear and, on a winding road, it has reached 10. However I think it is too soft.

After that I tried 12 front and 10 back but the rear sometimes reached 3 clicks, maybe it is too stiff for the road...

I didn't know there were EDFC pro tuners in the first place , i don't even know where I can find one. Maybe we can talk about this?
For hard cornering, you want to be between 0 and 6 clicks on the standard flex A, depending on road conditions. (on the 16 click EDFC setting)

I think you'll be able to figure out a happy setting on your own.

For folks reading this, EDFC Active Pro clicks are NOT equivalent to standard clicks. EDFCAP works within a range of 2 full rotations, with 16, 32, or 64 total steppings for those 2 rotations.

On a normal FLA, 6 clicks is 1 rotation.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
killy

Garage
Hi Mike
Do the motors really do only 2 rotations??
so what you are saying is that, when I put the EDFC to 16 (on a 0 to 16 scale) the motors have only done 2 rotations, equivalent to 12 "manual" clicks when I didn't have the system installed?

that is a huge difference, why did they eliminate the last 4 softer clicks?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Quote:
Hi Mike
Do the motors really do only 2 rotations??
so what you are saying is that, when I put the EDFC to 16 (on a 0 to 16 scale) the motors have only done 2 rotations, equivalent to 12 "manual" clicks when I didn't have the system installed?

that is a huge difference, why did they eliminate the last 4 softer clicks?
Because you don't need them.

Did you know my JRZ doesnt even do 1 full rotation on the compression adjustment for the entire range?
wparsons (07-25-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #9
BasementN3k0
The Angry Brown Guy

Drives: 2016 Tacoma & 2018 86 GT Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
why not just set the edfc for finer or max level adjustment and run it that way?
BasementN3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
killy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Because you don't need them.

Did you know my JRZ doesnt even do 1 full rotation on the compression adjustment for the entire range?
I see...
so you do think that even 0 level damping is acceptable on track?
do you have any more suggestion on setting these things?
I am starting to do some tests..
Old 07-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Quote:
I see...
so you do think that even 0 level damping is acceptable on track?
do you have any more suggestion on setting these things?
I am starting to do some tests..
We're now treading into a deeper level of knowledge that falls into consultation territory. PM me.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
SaulSNES

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
1. Yes, you can...If you are unable to find one, I can tune the system for you.
I totally need this service! I am in definite need of tuning my EDFC system
SaulSNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
Crazy Drew

Drives: Smells like tires when I drive
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like when things automatically get wet.
Crazy Drew is offline   Reply With Quote