follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #43
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
What a bafoon! He hasn't even replaced the window, now he's got much bigger problems. HA-ha!

People keep saying this, but when I sat in one(finally a manual) at the dealership, it didn't feel "too" soft at all. Softer than my 4th, 5th, 6th gen Civics and current RSX yes, but not soft when compared to the Scion tC or 2012 Civic Si. Both of which have the most pathetically uninspiring and "in the middle of having a stroke" grandma-soft clutches I have ever had the displeasure of using.
hmm maybe its because i used a ACT XTSS (SS lines) clutch on my evo 8 before i owned this car. Also i let my friend drive the car and he DD's a stock civic si (09 i think) and says the clutch is super soft. I guess im not use to stock clutch feel since the 2 cars i owned before this one had stiff aftermarket clutches on them.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #44
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
i also blew up the transmission. literally. it exploded. there were only little metal chunks left of 2nd gear. damn i was stupid
Holy chromoly!

I've always managed to be pretty easy on my stuff whilst still being fast. But I know a lot of guys just totally abuse the tranny and clutch. I cringe when I ride with them...
Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #45
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
If driven properly(not on a track), a clutch should last well past 100k, even 200k.

If you or anyone you know is replacing clutches at anything even close to 80-100k, that person either didn't know how to drive, or the clutch was a turd from day one.
I'd agree, clutch on my Xterra is still good and its getting near 200,000 miles.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #46
MRZ415

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well for you MT Pro out there, any advice to a future noob so I don't blow the clutch at 700 miles ..

I intend to STEP on Break and Let go of clutch till car shakes then let it engage
naturally without gas first, Next Step I will watch for RPM DIP, as I give it a bit of
gas n let go of more clutch RPM drops and I've been told thats when I let go of the
clutch totally n give even more gas... right ? wrong ?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #47
Bluecille

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRZ415 View Post
Maybe that guy was dropping the clutch at 4-5k where ever he went,
Personally I don't think I'll do that well on the clutch either since the BRZ will be
my first MT, but typically the first clutch should last at least 20-30K before replacement right ? ? ?

I've remember it took my 1 hour or so to get use to the clutch point of my cousins old MR2,
but I figure ridding a clutch a bit for an hour or two can't wear down the clutch that much.... can it ?
My 1990 Integra had its factory clutch after 240,000 miles and I was the third owner. You could tell the clutch was worn but I still ran it hard when I wanted to with no issues. I think certain people are hard on cars. However, in this case I think the driver's license should be revoked. Think if people had to work on their own cars; driving in general would improve tenfold.
Bluecille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #48
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
What about creeping up a hill? I have a stop sign at an incline. There's a line of cars in front of me stopping at the sign and taking off one by one. What do I do?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #49
GT-ROKIN

Drives: FRS -37J AT
I blew my Clutch at 1200 on my 335i. it was my first manual transmission and i had like a week practice on a mini cooper. Stalling out in traffic, causing traffic jams on highway, starting the car in gear forcing it in to the sidewalks and curbs (fucking up the bumpers) i use to be in the body shop almost every week. yeah i learnt the hard way and its very possible to burn your clutch @ 700 miles.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #50
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post
What about creeping up a hill? I have a stop sign at an incline. There's a line of cars in front of me stopping at the sign and taking off one by one. What do I do?

when i was still learning, i waved LOTS of people past me, so i would have space to roll backwards while engaging 1st gear (if i needed. better to have and not need, then need and not have)

also: see if you can find a rental that's manual. best way to practice
wrxgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #51
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRZ415 View Post
...right ? wrong ?
Yeah thats good theory; no need to wait for a rpm drop though, all of those 'steps' are completed in less than a second.

This fact that its a scion makes this story much less surprising.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #52
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
when i was still learning, i waved LOTS of people past me, so i would have space to roll backwards while engaging 1st gear (if i needed. better to have and not need, then need and not have)
I'd gotten into the habit of, while on a hill, watching if a car was approaching from the rear and letting off on the brakes a little. Some people really like to creep up, so I did just enough to let them know that I'm going to roll back a bit when I get going. Sure enough, a lot of people gave me extra room. I've been on some brutal hills at stop signs and even after driving stick for 15 years, I don't look forward to them.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #53
epitaph

Drives: 1992 Celica ST
Quote:
If driven properly(not on a track), a clutch should last well past 100k, even 200k.

If you or anyone you know is replacing clutches at anything even close to 80-100k, that person either didn't know how to drive, or the clutch was a turd from day one.
Just checked the logs for my '92 Celica. I was second owner, and it was on the original clutch until September, 2010 @ 166,361mi. Nothing blew, it was just slipping and I didn't want to deal with it. Could have babied it along for quite awhile longer, I expect. I've had friends end clutches in <50k, both those that drive the car like they stole it, and those that just had terrible technique. I had never driven a manual transmission vehicle before I bought the Celica and I drove it home, learned on it, and still have it to this day. Hell, I just taught one of my friends how to drive an MT in it two weekends ago!
epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #54
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Not gonna lie, if I had taken people's advice and gotten the manual instead of the automatic this would probably be me. I can't drive manual at all so I'd probably tear the poor car up right away.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #55
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee358 View Post
ok guys i let my clutch out slowly and i kinda get a little jerk half way of letting it out in first. i would say i let it out half way then add a little more gas then let it out faster. am i destroying my clutch?

EDIT:btw i never smell clutch burning clutch.
If you're keeping the RPMs below 2k when engaging then you're fine. People have different techniques for starting from first. In my CRX I used to modulate the throttle while engaging the clutch since it was so touchy. In the FR-S I bump and hold the RPMs to around 1-1.5k, engage clutch right to the point of engagement, hold until wheel speed matches engine speed, then fully engage clutch. This car is really hard to stall. You can get away with very little throttle when starting off from first.
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neutral For This Useful Post:
Lee358 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #56
brufleth

Drives: 2007 WRX
Quote:
when i had my WRX (first owned/driven manual) i went through my first clutch in 1300 miles
I just replaced the clutch on my WRX at 50k miles. I was not happy about it. Cost me $1800 at a dealer. Never tracked the car, I have experience driving stick (second manual car I've owned but have driven many others), and I don't "burn out" in it. There's been a few times I've been overly aggressive with it while trying to pull out onto a busy road (anyone who lives near Boston knows what pulling out onto Rt 1 north of the city can be like), but I really didn't think I beat on it that badly.

I assume it was a combination of factors but I'm going to be even more careful with it because it shouldn't go through clutches that quick.
brufleth is offline   Reply With Quote