follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JDL Over Pipe and Front Pipe

Hey Folks — I am looking to pick up a JDL UEL Catted Header, Over Pipe, and Ultra Quiet Front Pipe to pair with my 2.5 Resonated Perrin Catback, but I’ve come across a few questions I haven’t been able to find an answer to yet. I am also going to get all of these 2.5”, not 3.0”

1) Would you recommend buying the JDL OP and JDL Ultra Quiet FP as separate pieces OR the OP/FP Combo Pipe (this appears to have some of the regular OP as part of the FP, and V-Band connection).

2) JDL asks for the Rear Flange if you want (a) OEM Donut Style Gasket or (b) Flat Flanged. Any know which is better with the options I mentioned above?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Links for reference:

Combo FP/OP: https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...e/#prettyPhoto

Ultra Quiet FP: https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...et-front-pipe/

OP: https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-overpipe/
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
IMO get the over-frontpipe combo unless you randomly think you may want to switch to the Ace header along the way (which replaces the header + overpipe). Either would be a good setup though.

With the Perrin, I believe you want the flat flange, as the Perrin already does away with the donut style gasket.
J1Avs (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Definitely go with the OP/FP Combo. The V-Band connection is far superior to a 2 bolt flange connection. You can get it with the same cat and resonator as the super quiet FP.

As for the Donut gasket vs Flat Flange I would go with Flat Flange as the Perrin 2.5inch Catback uses a none donut type connection to the front pipe.

(EDIT) Looks like cjd beat me to it.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Detroiter For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
J1Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
Definitely go with the OP/FP Combo. The V-Band connection is far superior to a 2 bolt flange connection. You can get it with the same cat and resonator as the super quiet FP.

As for the Donut gasket vs Flat Flange I would go with Flat Flange as the Perrin 2.5inch Catback uses a none donut type connection to the front pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
IMO get the over-frontpipe combo unless you randomly think you may want to switch to the Ace header along the way (which replaces the header + overpipe). Either would be a good setup though.

With the Perrin, I believe you want the flat flange, as the Perrin already does away with the donut style gasket.
Thanks to both of you! Seems like its a bit cheaper to go for the combo pipe too.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Thanks to both of you! Seems like its a bit cheaper to go for the combo pipe too.
Its probably harder to install by yourself though which is why I avoided it. If you are paying someone then it doesn't matter
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
Its probably harder to install by yourself though which is why I avoided it. If you are paying someone then it doesn't matter

Hardest part is getting the stock overpipe out.
J1Avs (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #7
J1Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Hardest part is getting the stock overpipe out.
Planning on having it professionally installed along with the header at Mach V. Thinking about just acquiring the parts throughout the summer, and then doing a full install alongside the Sprintex 210 early next spring.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #8
James Russels

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to revive a 10 month-old thread, but I have a similar layout to OP in mind, so I thought my question might fit here. I am planning on getting the JDL turbo kit with recirculated wastegate, and want to ensure I have plenty of exhaust diameter to support it. My plan was to get a 3" overpipe and frontpipe, then a 2.5" catback, assuming that wouldn't be a bottleneck for my 300whp goal.

I was looking at getting the JDL OP/FP combo, but the site says the 3" option won't fit with an automatic transmission.

My questions are:

-Am I out of luck for a 3" OP/FP with AT? It seems there are very limited 3" options - the only other one I could find was the nameless overpipe and frontpipe combo, but that also supposedly won't work with AT.

-Is 3" even necessary for this setup? Based on what I've found online, it looks like a 2.75"-3.00" diameter is recommended for that power goal, and I figured it'd be better to go larger due to the recirculated wastegate and catted FP.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
James Russels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:36 PM   #9
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post

@cjd @Detrioter

What do I do if I accidently ordered the donut flange? They seemed to have welded a piece of pipe for the donut. I need it flat now...
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote