follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #4635
Colin86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 86
Location: OH
Posts: 120
Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
About to attempt the new bypass valve install.

Any DIY guides/quick tips on how to remove the supercharger? I installed this thing six years ago, don't remember any of the nuances. Still have the instructions but there's superfluous steps there if I purely look at them in reverse order.

Also, anything else I should replace/check while the charger is off? I originally installed this in 2016 -but everything except the bypass valves have been perfect.

Thanks in advance!
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #4636
FrickingReallySlow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: San francisco
Posts: 307
Thanks: 114
Thanked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
B T curious what did the Wideband O2 get you while tuning with Edelbrock SC? is it more accuracy/reliability or squeezing more HP/TQ out of the setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
I recently had an update on my ECU tune and didn't have any issues with new codes. I've never even seen those before and I'm running my A/F wideband farther down from the original location. I believe there is a ms delay adjustment in ECUTEK so it can properly gauge when the pulse wave hits the sensor. Don't have access to my software right now to confirm.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #4637
Colin86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 86
Location: OH
Posts: 120
Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
About to attempt the new bypass valve install.

Any DIY guides/quick tips on how to remove the supercharger? I installed this thing six years ago, don't remember any of the nuances. Still have the instructions but there's superfluous steps there if I purely look at them in reverse order.

Also, anything else I should replace/check while the charger is off? I originally installed this in 2016 -but everything except the bypass valves have been perfect.

Thanks in advance!
Better yet has anyone found a way to do this without removing the supercharger?
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #4638
Decep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Location: CA
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 166
Thanked 492 Times in 323 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had Neal at Racer's Line do mine and he did it without removing the supercharger. He closed his shop though and not sure if he's active at all in the community anymore .
__________________
2013 FR-S 10 Series ~75k (SOLD)
RCE SS-1 Coilovers
Corsa Catback
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:48 PM   #4639
Colin86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 86
Location: OH
Posts: 120
Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I had Neal at Racer's Line do mine and he did it without removing the supercharger. He closed his shop though and not sure if he's active at all in the community anymore .
Glad to hear it can be done! Curious how he did it.... Anyone else know anything?
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #4640
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ, 2020 C8, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 473
Thanks: 179
Thanked 182 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
B T curious what did the Wideband O2 get you while tuning with Edelbrock SC? is it more accuracy/reliability or squeezing more HP/TQ out of the setup
I just moved the stock wideband back to the 4 way collector on my JDL 4-2-1 so it could log all cylinders instead of a single bank. Otherwise, you won't really know if your cylinder trims are correct. You could even have a bank blowing way too much fuel and never know if you've deactivated the rear O2 sensor(which I have).
__________________
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
FrickingReallySlow (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 06:16 PM   #4641
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ, 2020 C8, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 473
Thanks: 179
Thanked 182 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
Glad to hear it can be done! Curious how he did it.... Anyone else know anything?
The newer bypass valve is much harder to replace without removal than the original version. You can do it without "removing" the supercharger though. I'd suggest getting a hoist, unbolting the 6 bolts holding it to the heads, then lifting it a couple inches to get better access. Just watch out for those gaskets underneath!
__________________
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #4642
ABQautoxer
Senior Member
 
ABQautoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 658
Thanks: 60
Thanked 197 Times in 141 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
The newer bypass valve is much harder to replace without removal than the original version. You can do it without "removing" the supercharger though. I'd suggest getting a hoist, unbolting the 6 bolts holding it to the heads, then lifting it a couple inches to get better access. Just watch out for those gaskets underneath!
Is that basically the same approach for the slave cylinder doing a clutch job? My TOB is is making noises telling me my time is coming soon.
__________________
TomR
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #4643
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ, 2020 C8, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 473
Thanks: 179
Thanked 182 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
Is that basically the same approach for the slave cylinder doing a clutch job? My TOB is is making noises telling me my time is coming soon.
You can do that job without lifting the supercharger, but man does it make it easier.
__________________
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #4644
FrickingReallySlow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: San francisco
Posts: 307
Thanks: 114
Thanked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Makes sense! I guess the stock cable was long enough? And you put the rear O2 in the front to plug it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
I just moved the stock wideband back to the 4 way collector on my JDL 4-2-1 so it could log all cylinders instead of a single bank. Otherwise, you won't really know if your cylinder trims are correct. You could even have a bank blowing way too much fuel and never know if you've deactivated the rear O2 sensor(which I have).
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #4645
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ, 2020 C8, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 473
Thanks: 179
Thanked 182 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Makes sense! I guess the stock cable was long enough? And you put the rear O2 in the front to plug it up?
It was a couple inches too short. Several people out there sell O2 sensor extensions, it just had to be slightly modified by shaving down the keyed connectors to accept the wideband plugs. Just put a plug in the front 02 bung. Ordered all my parts from Ballenger Motorsports
__________________
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #4646
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ, 2020 C8, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 473
Thanks: 179
Thanked 182 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone upgraded their air to water intercooler setup? Looking at potentially doing a better radiator, remote reservoir and upgraded pump.
__________________
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:23 PM   #4647
Colin86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 86
Location: OH
Posts: 120
Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Has anyone upgraded their air to water intercooler setup? Looking at potentially doing a better radiator, remote reservoir and upgraded pump.
I have not, but I suspect the weak link will be the size of the heat exchangers within the supercharger itself. Nothing beats real world data though, curious what you find if you jump into it!
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #4648
B T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ, 2020 C8, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 473
Thanks: 179
Thanked 182 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
I have not, but I suspect the weak link will be the size of the heat exchangers within the supercharger itself. Nothing beats real world data though, curious what you find if you jump into it!
My idea currently it to change out the heat exchanger, add a secondary pump and put a reservoir in the trunk to increase capacity. Possibly replacing the fog lights on both sides with two exchangers leading to brake ducting. I don't have any issues with the Willwood 6-pot brakes overheating, but why not do it. Just hoping someone else here may have done some testing or parts swaps with data.
__________________
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vortech Owner Thread & Setup Questions reyruiz191 Forced Induction 340 05-17-2022 01:44 PM
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger itsibarra Forced Induction 938 07-31-2021 05:48 PM
Most annoyingly over-asked questions on FT86 forums mit_peid Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 36 01-16-2014 03:48 PM
Brz Info/Specs (helpful info for questions asked often) Gaen BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 0 05-24-2012 11:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.