follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust rust prevention paint help

Not sure if this should be posted here or be moved somewhere else so here goes.

I have been doing some research on google.com about coating the exhaust system to prevent it from rust. I live in one of the most dangerous exposed area for this and want to protect my system from turning old rust bucket on me.

Anyway, the question is, who in here has used something that has worked for them? This is my first time ever attempting this and want to get the most out of it. I have read that barbeque paint will do just fine because those can withstand 500 degree. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on those and be the test mule but if somebody has tried something else that worked great please share.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
CrazyWookiee

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Heat wraps seem to be a good solution in preventing rust while also helping or increasing the exhaust's properties.

"I'm the real Peter Lau" - Peter Lau
CrazyWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
LeeMaster
Red wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWookiee View Post
Heat wraps seem to be a good solution in preventing rust while also helping or increasing the exhaust's properties.
Cant water still sneak in? I never had any experience with those before but it looks like if exposed to water for a prolonged period of time water can still go through them.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine is already rusted....so guess ill just replace it eventually with a straight pipe...lol

Exhaust wrap traps moisture and speeds up the rusting process....unless you live in sunny socal or arizona etc....
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Not sure if this should be posted here or be moved somewhere else so here goes.

I have been doing some research on google.com about coating the exhaust system to prevent it from rust. I live in one of the most dangerous exposed area for this and want to protect my system from turning old rust bucket on me.

Anyway, the question is, who in here has used something that has worked for them? This is my first time ever attempting this and want to get the most out of it. I have read that barbeque paint will do just fine because those can withstand 500 degree. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on those and be the test mule but if somebody has tried something else that worked great please share.
How about some VHT? It's used on headers, should be fine on the rest of the exhaust: http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Rusteloem sprat paint is really good on metal for rust prevention . but I doubt it can withstand the heat
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
powder coat or passivate ( rust blue or cold blue) it.

thats the only way to protect your SS from enviromental damages.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
CrazyWookiee

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Cant water still sneak in? I never had any experience with those before but it looks like if exposed to water for a prolonged period of time water can still go through them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _hollywood View Post
Mine is already rusted....so guess ill just replace it eventually with a straight pipe...lol

Exhaust wrap traps moisture and speeds up the rusting process....unless you live in sunny socal or arizona etc....
Yes, there is a problem if it's drenched in water then it may soak through the heat wrap. It takes a bit of time though, and quite a bit of water. This is opposed to the water just splashing straight onto the uncovered pipe without the heat wrap. Also, it's wrapped around the exhaust so the wrap itself will get quite hot under normal car use and you have to be pretty much driving into puddles for the wrap to get soaked fast enough that the heat generated from the exhaust isn't drying the surface. It also depends on the quality of the heat wrap, some of the newer ones are really resilient to water, but at an extra cost.

That's my take on it. I've never used it myself, but some friends have wrapped down pipes and Y pipes and taken them off a few years after with the exhaust looking pristine compared to those who haven't wrapped.

"I'm the real Peter Lau" - Peter Lau
CrazyWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Kauf

Drives: 2014 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rust is ugly.

Here's the bottom of mine post-Michigan winter. I hate winter, salt, snow/slush, rust, etc. all of it. Not sure why I'm still in MI. (Summer's are great, it lulls me into a false sense of "MI is ok." then BAM! Winter.)
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Holy crappers! All that surficial rust! I'd go with the VHT! Worked pretty well on my evo's calipers and engine bay. =)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
LeeMaster
Red wine

EEK! I guess I will have to reconsider driving my car next winter, glad I garaged it this winter. I was checking out my exhaust pipe that has been sitting in my garage today and am very happy no rust at all.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I live in Toronto and we get A LOT of snow and salt in the winter. I can tell you none of the rust protection coating or paint will stay on. The best protection is to rinse the underneath of your car every week in the winter. We have a 10 year old Toyota Corolla, never rust proofed, and no rust, because we rinse it with clear water everyweek.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
Here's the bottom of mine post-Michigan winter. I hate winter, salt, snow/slush, rust, etc. all of it. Not sure why I'm still in MI. (Summer's are great, it lulls me into a false sense of "MI is ok." then BAM! Winter.)

My winter beater 4wd silverado had a transmission issue all winter....had to pull my frs out of storage and out into the salt, exhaust rusted, etc, i feel bad for the car but at the same time its my daily otherwise and was meant to be driven hard and put away wet, i guess in 5 years ill have an excuse for a rocket bunny kit, hana
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote