follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
kiddo

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
should I opt for the rust/paint protection package from the dealer?

I went to the dealer to get the paper work done for my BRZ. At the same time, the tried to sell me the package of the rust and paint protection. It sounds very attractive, but I'm not sure if it really can be justified that it is worth the money, especially how much the dealer charge.

1) Electronic device for rust protection (life time warranty) : $899
2) Underbody spray for rust protection (life time warranty) : $799
3) protection film at the hood, a bit of the side fenders and mirrors: $399
4) Ploymler compound overlay the body for paint protection (life time warranty, one-time application): $499

All in Canadian fund from Canadian Subuaru dealership.

Anyone have done that? Especially the 1st and the 4th items?

Your advice is much appreciated.
kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dang...that comes to $2500+. Man, save your money take the car without any dealer add ons.

The car is fully corrosion proofed from the factory. A can of wax...$10.00.

The overlay I'm guessing is some type of clear bra. I've never bothered with that on any of my cars but lots of folks swear by them.

You do realize that most if not all of those items represent almost pure profit for the dealer. Just say no!
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
poudre

Drives: Silver Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Undercoating and paint treatments are an old, old dealer ripoff. In the 50's 60's and 70's this crap was very common among dealers. I can't believe it is coming back.

The $899 electronic rust protector sounds like a new ripoff.......http://corrosion-doctors.org/Car/car...ronic-rust.htm

Last edited by poudre; 09-02-2012 at 09:50 AM.
poudre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
OMG I can't believe they're selling electronic rust protection. It doesn't work and they are marking it up like 800%

"Cathodic protection (CP), which is the real name of the technique these profiteers are trying to sell you, has been used with success to protect against corrosion on many structures and systems including sea going ships, buried pipelines, and even reinforced concrete. However, there is an area where the technique has no chance to work ... the protection of cars. Human nature being what it is, many entrepreneurs have tried to use the visible successes of CP to make money by offering car owners devices to achieve such protection. They typically offer these snake oil devices at a price that could be reasonable if it did indeed work. In reality, the gizmos they offer are a lost in the suckers pocket and a gain in the entrepreneur crooks bank account. And watch out, they will disguise the same old gadgets with new patents and glitzy technical names, even throwing in a microprocessor!!"
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Also, pay for none of that. In Canada they have a rust protection called "Krown" I believe is the name. Do that and then visit a quality detailer to 3 step detail and apply protection film. You can also have him apply the Opti-Guard or Wolfs Hard Body. Much better dealer and effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
I went to the dealer to get the paper work done for my BRZ. At the same time, the tried to sell me the package of the rust and paint protection. It sounds very attractive, but I'm not sure if it really can be justified that it is worth the money, especially how much the dealer charge.

1) Electronic device for rust protection (life time warranty) : $899
2) Underbody spray for rust protection (life time warranty) : $799
3) protection film at the hood, a bit of the side fenders and mirrors: $399
4) Ploymler compound overlay the body for paint protection (life time warranty, one-time application): $499

All in Canadian fund from Canadian Subuaru dealership.

Anyone have done that? Especially the 1st and the 4th items?

Your advice is much appreciated.