follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
YwllowFox

Drives: GT86 2012, Stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT Tune Stage 1 - Question Regarding CALID Tunes / Definitions and Changes to maps

Hello Community

I've purchased the OFT about 6 months ago. I Tuned my car with it using the of the shelf tunes supplied for my CALID ZA1J700G, STAGE 1 Ver. 4.03.

Been very happy with it so far.
But since my car is still stock i'd like to get the cold start back again (i don't mind the louder startup).

But i can't find all maps that should be altered in order to get it back.
I wonder if I could upgrade to a newer ROM with my OFT and get the TUNES and DEFINITIONS of i.e. ZA1JA01G?
If so how can I do that safely?

And if I done that correctly can I then see the Maps i need?
Or even better is there a way to copy the "cold start" from the Stock ROM?

I hope my questions make sense and someone can help me.
Thanks a lot.

David.
YwllowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You oft v4 tune ZA1J700G rom is actually a ZA1JA01G made to look like 700G

to get cold start back copy back the idle target tavles , post start ignition timing and maf correction after start tables from a stock rom
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
YwllowFox

Hi Steve99

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know that about the 700G.

I've looked them up and the idle target tables as well as the post start ignitions are there but not the maf correction after startup. I'm using the definitions file from the OFT Tunes.

I've found that the Tables are defined in the romraider defs (RR_ZA1JA01G) but there are quite alot of changes and I'm not sure if I could use them just like that... Do you know if there could be a problem when the definitions for the MAF correction after start tables in my def/tune?

And is there a way in which the OFT checks if you are using the correct file for the ECU given?

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
YwllowFox

Okay, I've done some stuff now:

first I took the Definitions from Github (RR_ZA1JA0G) and copied the tables MAF Correction after Start inGear/neutral to the definitions file from OFT (OFTv4_ZA1J700G.xml) and I looked at my OFT Stage 1 Tune and the Original ROM.
It looked alright and the tables appeared. I changed one single Value (the first one) and saved the bin like that.

After that I went and compared the new bin with the unchanged bin in a Hex comparer. And it looks like there is only one change at the address of the table and some others at the end of the file (i think this might be a kind of checksum or smth like that...?).

After that all I think the bin would be perfectly flash-able onto my ECU (or am I missing something here??) because the definitions are not used for flashing with OFT right?

So if I am not mistaking,I could use these modded Defs to change all those tables which i cant see on the OFT Defs (MAF Correction after start), and then go back to the other Defs (if I made any mistake) and change the other tables and flash my modded Stage 1_withColdStart Tune onto my car without any hesitation with the OFT.

I still don't get it why one shouldn't use the Github Defs for editing the oft tune roms. Or at least when the tables are at the same Addresses, why not? Is there something that the romraider does to the rom when using defs? which like changes the way the rom gets flashed or what?

Thank you so much.

PS: Steve are you working in this space or why is it that you got so much Experience in this? I've seen you in so many threads, always helping the technical questions.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:11 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YwllowFox View Post
Okay, I've done some stuff now:

first I took the Definitions from Github (RR_ZA1JA0G) and copied the tables MAF Correction after Start inGear/neutral to the definitions file from OFT (OFTv4_ZA1J700G.xml) and I looked at my OFT Stage 1 Tune and the Original ROM.
It looked alright and the tables appeared. I changed one single Value (the first one) and saved the bin like that.

After that I went and compared the new bin with the unchanged bin in a Hex comparer. And it looks like there is only one change at the address of the table and some others at the end of the file (i think this might be a kind of checksum or smth like that...?).

After that all I think the bin would be perfectly flash-able onto my ECU (or am I missing something here??) because the definitions are not used for flashing with OFT right?

So if I am not mistaking,I could use these modded Defs to change all those tables which i cant see on the OFT Defs (MAF Correction after start), and then go back to the other Defs (if I made any mistake) and change the other tables and flash my modded Stage 1_withColdStart Tune onto my car without any hesitation with the OFT.

I still don't get it why one shouldn't use the Github Defs for editing the oft tune roms. Or at least when the tables are at the same Addresses, why not? Is there something that the romraider does to the rom when using defs? which like changes the way the rom gets flashed or what?

Thank you so much.

PS: Steve are you working in this space or why is it that you got so much Experience in this? I've seen you in so many threads, always helping the technical questions.

Ok oft looks at the ecu calid strings at 8000 and 10000 hex to determine what it thinks is the ecu calid. With oft tunes they often alter the first two calid strings ar 8000 and 10000 hex . The real calid is the third calid string arround 11000 hex , you can see these with hex editor search for ZA1J which all calid steings start with

OFT wants to match the first two calid strings with whats in the stock rom it originally read from car

Unfortunately romraider only checks whats at 8000 hex and this get latered in oft tunes so romraider get confused

for exapmple your rom was indicating 700G but internally its rearly a A01G compatavle rom

Each time subaru\toyota complie a new rom the tavles are often in different positions so you can end up editing program code not tables and that can end up "bricking" your ecu

What you have done seems correct as you 700G oft tune is actually a A01G rom altered to look like 700G

OFT hack there defs to match tunes where romraider defs expact unhacked roms
Old 10-24-2021, 10:13 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

see my Romraider tips post thats linked in my signiture below
Old 10-24-2021, 10:17 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...66&postcount=1

also see my post above it has some good defs for A01G based oft V4 tunes
Old 10-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
YwllowFox

worked like a charm, thank you so much.
I'll have at you post later

Best Regards
David
Old 07-25-2023, 03:29 AM   #9
cedii

Drives: RB GT86 13"
Need ZA1J700G Tune files

Since i got my oft, i cant download any tunes of the website, there is always an error. So maybe some one of you got the tune files for ZA1J700G. Would be very happy if someone can send me the stage2 and stage2+ files to my mail, will pay 10$ for the legend who sends me the files. If someone already got an edited version with pops and bangs i would also take that one😅

email: cedi.raeth@gmail.com
cedii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold start, oft, oft help, rom