follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
ReaperBRZ

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
First mod but seeking advice

hey guys, this is my first post on ft68club! I have a 2013 BRZ that is completely stock. I have some extra cash so i'm going to get my first mod here soon... problem is, I don't really know what to get. I daily drive it and i'm looking for a real nice deep sound that's aggressive when wot and then subtle but still louder than stock when cruising and not wot. I don't really plan on making this a weekend only car but id probably supercharge it in the future... years to come most likely. I Have $650 maybe $700 I could spend on mod(s).

I was looking at getting Gruppe - S UEL header and maybe a cat-less front pipe... but then I started thinking about getting a cat back system. Maybe uel header with a tune for some performance? Hell, Maybe a berk track pipe with header?
I'm looking for some advice on what I should do for my first mod, like I said earlier one thing id really like is a nice deep Subaru like sound that"s aggressive when you get on it. Whats my best bang for the buck?

Thanks
ReaperBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReaperBRZ For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
UEL header a Perrin 2.5 inch resonated cat back and a tune. That's what I would do
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #3
FT86Z
Drift noob

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport-Tech CWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
UEL header a Perrin 2.5 inch resonated cat back and a tune. That's what I would do
OP said he wants to spend 700. I'd say header and tune, best bang for the buck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FT86Z For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (02-26-2016), Summerwolf (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Yup. Tune and header. Check out the open flash combo, or troll the FS boards for a deal.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,629 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
In for header and tune
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
ReaperBRZ

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
what are some good places to look at for tunes and what kind of performance increase would i be seeing from uel header and a tune?
ReaperBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86Z View Post
OP said he wants to spend 700. I'd say header and tune, best bang for the buck.

Buy used
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 30,527 Times in 15,962 Posts
Mentioned: 696 Post(s)
Hello ReaperBRZ and welcome to ye ol forum.......

http://shop.namelessperformance.com/...haust-brz-frs/

With 2.5" piping and 5" mufflers = $650.

Pay a shop $35 and they will install it for you.

That's all you need exhaust wise.

It makes a nice growling sound, quick and easy to install and doesn't mess with the car's warranty.

Then drop in a $40 free-er flowing air filter ...... and you are intake modded .....

See how easy that was .......... ...... and almost on budget .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:26 AM   #9
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperBRZ View Post
hey guys, this is my first post on ft68club! I have a 2013 BRZ that is completely stock. I have some extra cash so i'm going to get my first mod here soon... problem is, I don't really know what to get. I daily drive it and i'm looking for a real nice deep sound that's aggressive when wot and then subtle but still louder than stock when cruising and not wot. I don't really plan on making this a weekend only car but id probably supercharge it in the future... years to come most likely. I Have $650 maybe $700 I could spend on mod(s).

I was looking at getting Gruppe - S UEL header and maybe a cat-less front pipe... but then I started thinking about getting a cat back system. Maybe uel header with a tune for some performance? Hell, Maybe a berk track pipe with header?
I'm looking for some advice on what I should do for my first mod, like I said earlier one thing id really like is a nice deep Subaru like sound that"s aggressive when you get on it. Whats my best bang for the buck?

Thanks
For 700$ you aren't going to get a nice header or catback, plus installed for that...if I was you with that money I would get a k&n drop in filter, springs to lower for better handling, that puts you around 500$ with the 200 left over maybe a strut bar...if not save the 200 and the next thing you should get should be tired and rims..hold off on the cat back and header till after you get the drop in, springs and tires IMO...the header will be expensive and give you the best gains, the catback might give little gains but will be mostly for sound/looks...both will run 1000-1400 once tuned after said and done
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #10
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
what are some good places to look at for tunes and what kind of performance increase would i be seeing from uel header and a tune?
If you decide to get header beware soem turbos/super chargers won't use the header you install so it will be worthless. Also get a self tuning kit with your header a professional dyno tune is not necessary for your needs
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 AM   #11
FT86Z
Drift noob

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport-Tech CWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Buy used
If you can point me in the direction to buy all that used for 700 Id like to know where I can get such a deal too!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #12
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks

I've just done the header + op, and a tune with flexfuel. For a lower budget I'd really recommend the header + tune only - it makes the car so much more fun and much more usable as a DD (mine is a DD too, and I also plan on a SC one day when I'm big!)

It helps give some nice sound (the forum is FULL of threads on the different brands and sounds and HP and stuff) - but for me the biggest win is that combined with the tune I have zero torque dip left... and that is the most satisfying part!

BTW - I still get a nice bump in power over the 4/5k mark, but that 2-4k has become so much more usable now!

You won't regret it.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #13
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
If you decide to get header beware soem turbos/super chargers won't use the header you install so it will be worthless. Also get a self tuning kit with your header a professional dyno tune is not necessary for your needs
Every S/C can use any header on the market (except of course turbo manifolds).
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #14
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Header and tune. Get rid of that torque dip.

Then drive the car for a while. What path you should follow will become more evident then. Don't mod just to mod. Unless it is just fun, cosmetic stuff. Header and tune is really the best safe choice for just about anyone, unless they are going to FI (turbocharger) their car right off the bat. Which 1) I assume you are not going to do anytime soon and 2) I highly recommend you don't for a little while.

What I truly recommend is this. For your budget (not a knock, just a solid fact) go grab an OFT(open flash tablet - tune device) and an OFH( open flash header). I recommend you install everything yourself. But if that is not your thing, that's cool.
After install, and all is well.

Go find a local autocross (SCCA, Porsche Club, Bmw Club, etc. ) and run the car through some cones. I cant see it not putting a smile on your face. The twins were made to enjoy the AX and track environment.

EDIT: More importantly I suppose is this. You don't need to mod anything right now. You could just save your money and wait. Keep reading the board(free). Join a local 86 club(free or close to it). Learn and drive. Don't rush into mods. I do, but I have a modding sickness

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
Shinchu (02-28-2016)