follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 11-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #4509
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Any additional benefits of the 321 alloy other than better oxidation and corrosion resistance? Does it retain heat better, less expansion or something?

No. It should handle higher egt’s for the guys that are supercharged. That’s about it.
sato (11-07-2020), Scargod (11-19-2022)
Old 11-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #4510
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Any additional benefits of the 321 alloy other than better oxidation and corrosion resistance? Does it retain heat better, less expansion or something?
I’ve got 40k miles on mine (good ol 304) and I haven’t had any issues at all - however mine are ceramic coated.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
sato (11-07-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #4511
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Sorry to necro this, but apparently Nameless Performance is considering bringing back their long tube header:

OK WE ARE LISTENING. These are not currently in stock, but we have seen how many of you are searching for them, looking for used units, and downright begging us to pick up manufacturing them again. We will certainly consider it, and will consider a significant improvement to a 321 stainless alloy (Nickel, Chromium, Titanium alloy vs. the 304 which lacks Titanium). But we need enough people to get together and show interest in it before we move forward. So the first phase of this is to simply stop what you're doing right now and email us at research@namelessperformance.com. Get your name on the list. Let us know if you have any specific goals from the design. We will be doing a mild redesign of the system to bring the bending process in-house in order to offset the exorbitant cost of material in this updated alloy.

https://shop.namelessperformance.com...brz-frs-gt-86/
I've sent them multiple emails asking about them and they said that they posted that update on their site and social media months ago, but only had like 3 people (including myself) inquire about them, meaning that they feel the deman is extremely low.

Back when these came out, there weren't really any 4-2-1 long tube, higher cost headers on the market. Now there are options from people like JDL and Ace for similar money, and people are buying them. Personally, I think they would sell if they were priced at about the same level.

I would happily buy them if they produced them again. But I have my doubts it'll ever happen. I'll probably just end up going with JDL.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #4512
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I've sent them multiple emails asking about them and they said that they posted that update on their site and social media months ago, but only had like 3 people (including myself) inquire about them, meaning that they feel the deman is extremely low.

Back when these came out, there weren't really any 4-2-1 long tube, higher cost headers on the market. Now there are options from people like JDL and Ace for similar money, and people are buying them. Personally, I think they would sell if they were priced at about the same level.

I would happily buy them if they produced them again. But I have my doubts it'll ever happen. I'll probably just end up going with JDL.
I agree. It's a viable header still. Especially if they could cut the cost down a bit. The only real issue I noticed about it was it still had a bit of a torque dip. I know CSG loves to emphasize melting fans. But in the time I had my Cosworth version, going on long back road drives in Texas heat, I never noticed any sort of melting. I did put some heat reflective tape on the bottom of my intake box, however.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #4513
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I agree. It's a viable header still. Especially if they could cut the cost down a bit. The only real issue I noticed about it was it still had a bit of a torque dip. I know CSG loves to emphasize melting fans. But in the time I had my Cosworth version, going on long back road drives in Texas heat, I never noticed any sort of melting. I did put some heat reflective tape on the bottom of my intake box, however.

I have a tiny bit of melting on the bottom of the shroud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #4514
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have a tiny bit of melting on the bottom of the shroud.

Do you guys have your header coated? Thinking this might be the way to go with some gold tape on the intake box.
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icybrzzz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #4515
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icybrzzz View Post
Do you guys have your header coated? Thinking this might be the way to go with some gold tape on the intake box.

Yes, mine is ceramic coated. I think on the street I wouldn’t have an issue. It is sustained high temps from track use. I have everything foil taped that the tape will reasonably stick to. Intake, wiring, hoses.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:29 AM   #4516
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Quote:
Yes, mine is ceramic coated. I think on the street I wouldn’t have an issue. It is sustained high temps from track use. I have everything foil taped that the tape will reasonably stick to. Intake, wiring, hoses.

I heat wrapped the entire manifold before install and I have yet to have any issues - also did the heat tape on the bottom of intake box.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
Scargod (11-19-2022)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #4517
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Got mine ceramic coated from the start. No issues going on 6 years now.

There was a small amount of plastic that melted on the fan shroud but that hasn't caused an issue. Also from track driving not street driving.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #4518
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
I have a Nameless I want to run on my 2022! Anyone Else?

I'm talking to my tuner about tuning my car once I've installed the long tube header and . Has anyone done this yet with any of the long tube headers? Anyone keeping a CAT or using a high-performance aftermarket CAT? Mine came to me with a CAT at the very end of the overpipe.
Performance gains?
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #4519
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
I'm talking to my tuner about tuning my car once I've installed the long tube header and . Has anyone done this yet with any of the long tube headers? Anyone keeping a CAT or using a high-performance aftermarket CAT? Mine came to me with a CAT at the very end of the overpipe.
Performance gains?
The header itself is catless. What has the cat is that front pipe set up; which looks like the JDL overpipe/front pipe combo they did for a while. The cat or no cat makes minimal difference and mostly helps for noise and rasp. I ran those headers with a catted front pipe and had no issues. Tuning was done by Cosworth at the time though and it was a solid set up. They do have a lot of rasp though, just a heads up.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Scargod (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #4520
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
They do have a lot of rasp though, just a heads up.

I have no rasp with my nameless setup.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #4521
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
I have no rasp with my nameless setup.
Really? I had a lot of rasp!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 11-19-2022, 06:10 PM   #4522
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I think it was HKS that first offered a catted front pipe with a bung and extension for relocating the secondary o2 sensor. Now I can only find this.

https://www.ftspeed.com/part/s6z12e3...pipe-2013-ft86

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag