follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2022, 11:36 AM   #15
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,360
Thanks: 14,836
Thanked 13,731 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
Sorry about that, I was in the wrong getting upset. I had stuff going on the other day that I was frustrated with and came on here and acted a fool. I apologize.

Thank you for the information. From what you're telling me, I'm confident I won't have any issue if I lower it 1-1.5. I'll start with 1" and see if I want to go lower down to 1.5". I think I said somewhere that I was using my old car as a baseline not realizing this car is already so low so that was a mistake on my side.

I'll definitely look into different ones but my main reasoning. Behind wanting the BC coilovers is because they were $1000 on sale (not sure if it was that website linked or a different one) but also because I didn't want to blow $1500-2000 on coilovers and need to spend another $2000 (almost) on new wheels and tires in the event I have issues with fitment. I'm also saving up for a supercharger and Various other parts so I was trying to work within a small budget. Hope this brings some understanding.

You can get Tein Flex Zs for under 1000. A little more money but FTspeed has Flex As for 1210. ST XAs are also about 1200, these are basically KW V1s with a cheaper body.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #16
SeddyBRZ
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: Pearl White 2014 BRZ
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You can get Tein Flex Zs for under 1000. A little more money but FTspeed has Flex As for 1210. ST XAs are also about 1200, these are basically KW V1s with a cheaper body.
What's the difference between the tein flex Z's vs the bc racing ones I linked? They seem relatively similar apart from how much dampening adjustment you have. I'll probably go with those just cause their cheaper.
SeddyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeddyBRZ For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (04-05-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 11:53 AM   #17
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,360
Thanks: 14,836
Thanked 13,731 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
What's the difference between the tein flex Z's vs the bc racing ones I linked? They seem relatively similar apart from how much dampening adjustment you have. I'll probably go with those just cause their cheaper.

Quality. The Teins will be higher quality and have more appropriate spring rates then what BC typically pushes.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Poogchomp (04-03-2022), Wally86 (04-05-2022), x808drifter (04-03-2022), Yoshoobaroo (04-03-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #18
SeddyBRZ
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: Pearl White 2014 BRZ
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UPDATE: I decided to purchase the BC Racing Extreme Low coilovers. I found them for $1000 on a website ($200 cheaper than the regular ones). I decided firmly on BC Racing because I read somewhere that the tein flex coilovers can't be rebuilt and I'd rather save cost in the long run when the coilovers wear out. After a long week (along with resealing my timing chain cover), I got them installed and the car looks amazing. I will take an "after" shot tomorrow morning as I am at work currently.

Right now I am dialing in the dampening, started full hard due to my fear of rubbing and destroying something and I have to say, it was like driving a 90's car with chopped springs. I am currently at about the halfway mark (15) on the dampening and it's a nice firm ride that would be more suitable for a track. I will post another update when I get the right settings dialed in.

I also purchased some adjustable lca's and toe arms for the rear but have yet to install them as I was busy with the timing chain cover which I don't recommend ever doing if you are a novice mechanic lol. It was a pain even for me having spent my whole 23 years of life working on cars.
SeddyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:16 PM   #19
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,338
Thanks: 8,840
Thanked 13,996 Times in 6,735 Posts
Mentioned: 957 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
UPDATE: I decided to purchase the BC Racing Extreme Low coilovers. I found them for $1000 on a website ($200 cheaper than the regular ones). I decided firmly on BC Racing because I read somewhere that the tein flex coilovers can't be rebuilt and I'd rather save cost in the long run when the coilovers wear out. After a long week (along with resealing my timing chain cover), I got them installed and the car looks amazing. I will take an "after" shot tomorrow morning as I am at work currently.

Right now I am dialing in the dampening, started full hard due to my fear of rubbing and destroying something and I have to say, it was like driving a 90's car with chopped springs. I am currently at about the halfway mark (15) on the dampening and it's a nice firm ride that would be more suitable for a track. I will post another update when I get the right settings dialed in.

I also purchased some adjustable lca's and toe arms for the rear but have yet to install them as I was busy with the timing chain cover which I don't recommend ever doing if you are a novice mechanic lol. It was a pain even for me having spent my whole 23 years of life working on cars.
At $1k new, you're never going to rebuild when you can buy new for essentially the same price. Rebuildability isn't a feature in this case.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2022), Wally86 (04-29-2022), x808drifter (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #20
SeddyBRZ
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: Pearl White 2014 BRZ
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
At $1k new, you're never going to rebuild when you can buy new for essentially the same price. Rebuildability isn't a feature in this case.
Everywhere I've read, people have stated around $50-150 per coilover depending on type and if you do it yourself, that's nearly half as cheap as buying a new set and even if its $800 to have them rebuilt, it's still cheaper in the long run than just buying a new set every time you need them.
SeddyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeddyBRZ For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #21
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,338
Thanks: 8,840
Thanked 13,996 Times in 6,735 Posts
Mentioned: 957 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
Everywhere I've read, people have stated around $50-150 per coilover depending on type and if you do it yourself, that's nearly half as cheap as buying a new set and even if its $800 to have them rebuilt, it's still cheaper in the long run than just buying a new set every time you need them.
It is not a DIY job, and 150/corner is for labor only. Factor in parts and shipping both ways, and you literally may as well consider your coilovers disposable.

If you have the ability to DIY rebuild coilovers, I have a nice well-paying job ready for you.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (04-29-2022), Wally86 (04-29-2022), x808drifter (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #22
SeddyBRZ
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: Pearl White 2014 BRZ
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It is not a DIY job, and 150/corner is for labor only. Factor in parts and shipping both ways, and you literally may as well consider your coilovers disposable.

If you have the ability to DIY rebuild coilovers, I have a nice well-paying job ready for you.
I don't see why it couldn't be a DIY job unless there's special equipment needed that cost more than the jobs worth. New fluid, packings, a little bit of cleaning and they should be good. I'm no expert on the matter but I'll give it a shot when the time comes.
SeddyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #23
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,338
Thanks: 8,840
Thanked 13,996 Times in 6,735 Posts
Mentioned: 957 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
I don't see why it couldn't be a DIY job unless there's special equipment needed that cost more than the jobs worth. New fluid, packings, a little bit of cleaning and they should be good. I'm no expert on the matter but I'll give it a shot when the time comes.
You need a nitrogen tank with regulators, as well as a way to depressurize safely.

Components, ultrasonic cleaner, a way to measure stiffness, etc.

You're in for far more than you think.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (04-29-2022), Wally86 (04-29-2022), x808drifter (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #24
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,360
Thanks: 14,836
Thanked 13,731 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
I don't see why it couldn't be a DIY job unless there's special equipment needed that cost more than the jobs worth. New fluid, packings, a little bit of cleaning and they should be good. I'm no expert on the matter but I'll give it a shot when the time comes.
Eh, as a guy who used to work at a shop and rebuild motorcycle forks and shocks, I'd rather just pay to have it done.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-29-2022), Wally86 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:00 AM   #25
x808drifter
LMGTFY
 
x808drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Location: Lava Town, HI
Posts: 2,427
Thanks: 4,445
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,387 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I see post #3 was just ignored.
Not surprised.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-29-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-29-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 02:28 AM   #26
SeddyBRZ
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: Pearl White 2014 BRZ
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
I see post #3 was just ignored.
Not surprised.
I'm not using lowering springs so I don't see how this applies. The issue with the ride quality was due to me running on full hard dampening, not bump stops. Adjusting the ride height doesn't change shock travel on coilovers.
SeddyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:05 PM   #27
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,360
Thanks: 14,836
Thanked 13,731 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeddyBRZ View Post
I'm not using lowering springs so I don't see how this applies. The issue with the ride quality was due to me running on full hard dampening, not bump stops. Adjusting the ride height doesn't change shock travel on coilovers.

No matter how much travel you have at ride height, you only have so much room to actually move before things start hitting.

__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
car rides like shit 101, seddybrz = askhole

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few questions before buying a used BRZ/FRS LudwigMiles BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 15 08-10-2017 10:47 PM
A few questions before buying a used BRZ/FRS LudwigMiles Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 24 08-04-2017 04:53 PM
Some questions before buying an Frs jorgerendonjr Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 42 03-25-2017 10:43 PM
Questions before buying a FR-S. Seeeon FRS Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 3 04-06-2014 10:05 PM
Questions about buying a brz bitcloud BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 23 09-22-2012 05:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.