follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2022, 10:52 PM   #29
Rako

Drives: 2023 GR86 M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Bugs are related to racerom patch applied to >17 US oem map, so an unpatched rom as his doesn t have problem

i think it s case is that he just doesn t like the tunes he got from those tuners, and maybe the were not objectively well done oem tunes are very refined under 3000 rpm, and it s very much easy to mess up with smoothess and bogging down at low rpm if you don t spend time to improve it
That's not the case man. If you read my previous posts, the car runs perfect for about a couple days and then runs like it's on 3 cylinders for weeks until back to normal for a couple days again. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thrilled with your car running with the symptoms I listed earlier either..
Rako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:18 PM   #30
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i'm just going over everything in this thread again because it still makes little sense.

it sounds like you've already checked your air box. doesn't sound like you have an aftermarket/modded intake at all. that should rule out vacuum leak. should.

the temperature has been wild around here, but you indicate it does it at intervals not in line with specific temps.

you said you've got an e85 kit--correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the e85 kit require a tune to correctly interface to read the ethanol content of the fuel and adjust fuel trims accordingly?

the stock tune wouldn't include that component.

could it be your e85 content sensor is mucking up the fuel trims?
Rako (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 11:52 PM   #31
Rako

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'm just going over everything in this thread again because it still makes little sense.

it sounds like you've already checked your air box. doesn't sound like you have an aftermarket/modded intake at all. that should rule out vacuum leak. should.

the temperature has been wild around here, but you indicate it does it at intervals not in line with specific temps.

you said you've got an e85 kit--correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the e85 kit require a tune to correctly interface to read the ethanol content of the fuel and adjust fuel trims accordingly?

the stock tune wouldn't include that component.

could it be your e85 content sensor is mucking up the fuel trims?
That's a good point maybe my flex kit is faulty. All the tunes I've been running are flex tunes so it would make sense. When I went to the stock tune I ran a tank of 93 before flashing it, and I reconnected the upstream sensor and disconnected the flex kit. I'm not sure how to test the flex sensor for accuracy.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:46 PM   #32
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rako View Post
That's a good point maybe my flex kit is faulty. All the tunes I've been running are flex tunes so it would make sense. When I went to the stock tune I ran a tank of 93 before flashing it, and I reconnected the upstream sensor and disconnected the flex kit. I'm not sure how to test the flex sensor for accuracy.
Well to start with, did your flex readout seem reasonable when you would fill up on E85? Did you watch it and see if there was any odd fluctuation or possible misread of what you expected it to be?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #33
Rako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Well to start with, did your flex readout seem reasonable when you would fill up on E85? Did you watch it and see if there was any odd fluctuation or possible misread of what you expected it to be?
I didn't keep a close eye but it looked reasonable when I'd fill it up. The only thing I noticed was that the flex app was showing 5 to 10 percent more e85 than ecutek was
Old 11-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #34
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rako View Post
I didn't keep a close eye but it looked reasonable when I'd fill it up. The only thing I noticed was that the flex app was showing 5 to 10 percent more e85 than ecutek was
Not too familiar with the app so I don't know if that's a typical discrepancy or not. But to be honest, that would seem odd. 5 to 10% is a pretty decent difference if there truly is a discrepancy there. Either way, the most important thing is what the actual flex sensor is reading. I agree with soundman that this is likely your culprit considering your problem and the solutions you've attempted.

I would contact the manufacturer of the flex fuel kit you have and discuss this with them. They may be able to provide a particular replacement part. They may also be aware of very rare cases like this and know what is likely failing in the kit.

Because from everything you describe, it definitely sounds very unusual that you are experiencing issues with the tune. I doubt your car is allergic to one.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Rako (12-01-2022), soundman98 (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 02:09 PM   #35
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is possible since you have ECU-Tek flashed on your car, but maybe you can have someone local with an OFT un-marry their device and flash it onto your car to see if that stage 2+ tune presents the same issues?

Also I believe most of the vacuum lines are underneath the intake manifold if you wanted to take a look at that. Do you get bad MPG when the car isn't running right?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:46 AM   #36
Rako

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
I'm not sure if this is possible since you have ECU-Tek flashed on your car, but maybe you can have someone local with an OFT un-marry their device and flash it onto your car to see if that stage 2+ tune presents the same issues?

Also I believe most of the vacuum lines are underneath the intake manifold if you wanted to take a look at that. Do you get bad MPG when the car isn't running right?
Yeah I'll double check, but in regards to oft I think I'd lose my ecutek license
Old 01-21-2023, 08:56 PM   #37
Rako

SOLVED. I assumed my flex kit was scaled 0v-5v but it was in fact 0.5v-4.5v. I gave my tuner the wrong info, a big error on my part which caused a difference in ethanol between the sensor and ecutek of around 8%. Logs looked good but the car ran terrible and I had no answers for months. Now it's scaled correctly and it's like driving a new car. Thanks for the help y'all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rako For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-22-2023), Code Monkey (01-21-2023), NoHaveMSG (01-23-2023), soundman98 (01-21-2023), x808drifter (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:20 PM   #38
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
thanks for updating us, glad to hear you figured it out!

so it was the sensor after all, just an error between the obd2 port and the keyboard, instead of the sensor, which in some ways is better, as it's cheaper to fix!
Rako (01-22-2023)