follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #43
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
Anyone regretting going forced induction and ending up with a ton of issues? Curious about this too.
instead of fishing for horror stories, go into any of the forced induction owners thead, for example "JRSC owners thread" and ask the group how their motors and kits are holding up, ask them "how reliable is this kit?". just dont want any misinformation being spread.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #44
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
instead of fishing for horror stories, go into any of the forced induction owners thead, for example "JRSC owners thread" and ask the group how their motors and kits are holding up, ask them "how reliable is this kit?". just dont want any misinformation being spread.
You do have a point; there's going to be a vocal minority that will speak up about their negative experiences as opposed to the majority of people whose experiences have been nothing but positive.

That being said, I do think that the horror stories are still just as valid as all the good stories about the JRSC, and are still worth reading especially in terms of scenarios where the JRSC is used (street driving, track day, how hot that day is, etc.)

Not a knock against the JRSC at all, mind you. I plan on going JRSC down the road and I think it is good to read all the issues about it as well so that I know what I'm getting into and if there are known solutions for these issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
HaXx (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
From reading thousands of threads I think it is safe to say that most reputable brand name kits are just fine. The cheap knockoffs, eBay specials and home made ones not so much.
It isn’t the kits that cause most issues but Bad tunes that are done in conjunction with them.
The problem with asking how kit xxxx performs is that there are so many other things that could go wrong but the fact there is FI is automatically blamed.
86MLR (07-09-2020), DarkPira7e (07-10-2020), HaXx (07-09-2020), KR-S (07-09-2020), soundman98 (07-10-2020), Windycitystig (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #46
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
From reading thousands of threads I think it is safe to say that most reputable brand name kits are just fine. The cheap knockoffs, eBay specials and home made ones not so much.
It isn’t the kits that cause most issues but Bad tunes that are done in conjunction with them.
The problem with asking how kit xxxx performs is that there are so many other things that could go wrong but the fact there is FI is automatically blamed.
This too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #47
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
This too.
Yeap, people always blame the muscle, when it's the brain that causes the majority of catastrophic failures.

And not all brains are equal, just like not all tuners are equal.

I find it strange that people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on shiny wheels or other aftermarket parts, but skimp out on their tuning solution and tuner.

Meh
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (07-10-2020), HaXx (07-09-2020), soundman98 (07-10-2020), Tcoat (07-09-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #48
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thank you all for the useful insight. I also plan on going with the JRSC down the road, read the threads already and the vast majority seems positive. My question was not necessarily related to the reliability of forced induction, but I was rather wondering if added that amount of power killed the "nature of the beast". For example I had a Stage III Cam on my G8GT and it was not a fun driving in the city. Sometimes being overpowered kills a little bit of the joy.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUSPECT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
HaXx (07-10-2020)