follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Chickeneatman

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 'Sloppy Stage 2' 4.8 swap FRS

Hello all, I believe it is time for me to properly introduce my project.
In July of 2019 I bought my 2013 FRS. It had a rebuilt title, but had paperwork for the inspection. I got a good deal, and promptly started building it for STX class for AutoCross.
Then in September the SCCA had their 'Track Night in America' at a local tech school with a very large driving range. I brought my FRS equipped with headers, E85 tune, 245/40/17 RE71Rs, and front camber bolts.
I had a decent amount of AutoX experience, but this was my first proper track experience. 15 minutes into the 3rd and final session, I over cooked my tires and lost it into a pole that was placed very poorly right next to the track.

(More details here. I made a video about the crash and my plan)

About a month after the crash I found a really good deal on a clean BRZ limited with rod knock. I loaded up my truck and trailer and picked it up. I swapped the motor from the FRS to the BRZ, and daily drove the BRZ for the next 8 months.

Unfortunately that leaves me with a smashed up chassis, and no engine. Then shows up my buddy with a 4.8 laying around and some stock GTO parts. $400 dollars later I had a motor and a plan.

So here is my 'Sloppy Stage 2 LS Swap'

Motor is a gen3 4.8 out of a 99 Silverado. I am planning on pairing it with an AR-5 transmission using the Fabbot stage 2 adapter kit. I had new valves and valve springs put in when the heads were machined. I am planning on using primarily GTO accessories. I will control the motor with an E40 ecu out of an 05 Envoy. This will give me access to a canbus system, but not force me to run with the 58x reluctor wheel. I will use the AGT Engineering Wire-in Translator for the canbus.

I could go into more details about all the little parts needed, but there are plenty of very well documented LS swaps already out there.

I would like to eventually turn this car into a Ute, but my primary goal is to make it drivable.

Anyone know a good A/C solution? how much of the OE FRS parts can I use?

Constructive criticism is very welcome on the videos.
Chickeneatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chickeneatman For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-11-2020), Zer0 (07-02-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
Eris-time

Drives: Fast looking but slow
Awesome thread and videos. Will be following this thread to see how it goes.
Eris-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
LSX_Corolla

Drives: 1983 LSX Corolla Wagon; 2017 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good to see. Im about to shove a 6.2 in mine. Good luck and make sure to keep us up to date with photos/Videos.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
Chickeneatman

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
I found a new chassis for $300, actually a 2017 86 chassis that was parted out. I ended up purchasing that because it doesn't need the entire rear end rebuilt. That is honestly out of the scope of my skill set, and my buddy with all the fabrication skills took on a new job and doesn't have time to dedicate to my project anymore.
I have made a bunch of progress on the new chassis. The custom trans mount is almost done. Hoping to have another video up with all the details this next weekend.
Chickeneatman is offline   Reply With Quote