follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
TikiGuy

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2014 BRZ: TRD Springs with 2017 PP Sachs?

First of all, I’m 47 years old. Life long gearhead. Enjoying my 2014 BRZ, manual, 47k miles, blasting around the city with my son.

Got a deal on set of brand new, in the box, unpackaged TRD springs for $100.

Also got a lead on a of full set of Sachs suspension off of a 2017 BRZ with the Performance Package (checked part numbers off the struts and shocks, they are legit PP) with 25k miles on them. The guy wants $200obo, been for sale now for over a month so he’ll probably take less.

I have all the tools to do this, I’ve done it on other cars before.

What do you think of TRD springs with Sachs?

I’m looking for a tad bit more firmness and handling. Would be nice to lower it a bit and get a bit more cornering performance.

Was originally planning on full coil overs (MeisterR or maybe Tein Flex Z) but if I can pull this off for around $200-$250, seems like it’s worth a shot... and set my money aside to buy another newer 86!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TikiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:00 AM   #2
pinoy_dorifto
Tuloy po kayo!

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For daily driving and the price you got it for, TRD springs will be the best option. I ran TRD spring on my 2017 with non PP Shocks tho, it did feel stiffer than 2017 oem springs, but was too soft for me after a few trackdays on it, so I went with a more stiffer Swift Spec-R. 1" drop is perfect imho, very functional and livable. I'm on coilovers now and only has 0.6" drop up front and 1" rear. No point of going coilovers for DD unless you want to go super low or need the adjustability for trackdays.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #3
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Stay away from adjustable coil overs if you don't need them.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
See also this thread.

Personally, I realized that PP Sachs just aren't particularly good, and decided that I'd rather buy a properly tuned in harmonious kit (pulled the trigger on CSG Spec TEIN Flex A today, yay!) instead of trying to combine cheap parts into something that's as good.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:26 AM   #5
TikiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy_dorifto View Post
For daily driving and the price you got it for, TRD springs will be the best option. I ran TRD spring on my 2017 with non PP Shocks tho, it did feel stiffer than 2017 oem springs, but was too soft for me after a few trackdays on it, so I went with a more stiffer Swift Spec-R. 1" drop is perfect imho, very functional and livable. I'm on coilovers now and only has 0.6" drop up front and 1" rear. No point of going coilovers for DD unless you want to go super low or need the adjustability for trackdays.

This is sound advice to me, considering you’ve already ran both the TRD springs AND coil overs.

I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #6
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Report back to us.

I'm curious how TRD Springs will pair with some of the optional shocks out there.

Some have claimed the combo is too crashy.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Bello

Drives: Scion FR-S 10-Series
Hey OP, I am in a similar boat. I recently purchased the PP Sachs and have been looking into the RCE springs before I install. If its a DD car with occasional spirited canyon driving, I would say for the price and simplicity of the setup, go with the Sachs since you have the TRD springs and get a swaybar and the bushings RCE recommends (Perrin steering lockdown, Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear diff bushing inserts). I personally will probably do this setup until I can purchase some nicer coilovers for the track if I ever buckle down and make time for going.
Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
TikiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post
Report back to us.

I'm curious how TRD Springs will pair with some of the optional shocks out there.

Some have claimed the combo is too crashy.
Hey, reporting back. Unfortunately the set of Sachs didn't pan out but I did the install of the new $100 TRD springs over the weekend.

Looks: better, yes. So far it's going down only a 1/2" and I'm sure it'll settle a little bit more. Going to give it until Wednesday until I think about alignment.

The ride: not much different and I really don't know what some people are saying about the TRD springs being too stiff.

Handling: dont think I can comment until the alignment is done, but so far its really hard to tell.

- - -

Question, hope you guys all see this: I installed SPC Camber Bolts while doing the springs. What should the camber be set at for daily driving?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
jmb2027

Drives: BRZ soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Stay away from adjustable coil overs if you don't need them.
Would you recommend something like the Bilstein B14 (1-way adjustable, height), or just springs? I'm more worried about dampers leaking (PP Sachs) with lowering springs.
jmb2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
Feistyfrog

Drives: Toyota 86 2019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm on TRD springs with stock shocks (2019 86) and I run 1.5 camber in front for DD. You'll get about 1.7 natural camber in the back with the drop. For me it was also a matter of getting a flush fitment with my new wheels, but the car feels more planted with a little bit of camber in front.

I've been running this setup for a couple months now and I love it. Not to agressive that it will mess the tires, but a big improvement over stock.
Feistyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb2027 View Post
Would you recommend something like the Bilstein B14 (1-way adjustable, height), or just springs? I'm more worried about dampers leaking (PP Sachs) with lowering springs.
If you can get the level of drop you want just with the springs, why bother with the adjustable suspension?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
TikiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feistyfrog View Post
I'm on TRD springs with stock shocks (2019 86) and I run 1.5 camber in front for DD. You'll get about 1.7 natural camber in the back with the drop. For me it was also a matter of getting a flush fitment with my new wheels, but the car feels more planted with a little bit of camber in front.

I've been running this setup for a couple months now and I love it. Not to agressive that it will mess the tires, but a big improvement over stock.

How long did you wait until you got the alignment done?

I’ll be at 6 days since I installed them as of tomorrow.

So far, it does feel more planted. That I’m certain of. I’m also certain that it is a tad more bumpy but I’m not complaining at all. Very easily “daily drive-able” like this.

And thanks for the answer on the camber!
Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #13
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Max the camber bolts for best front grip, depending on which bolts are installed where you could get over -2 degrees which should be acceptable for tire wear, zero toe up front imo. If that makes you nervous -1.5 or thereabouts is good too. A bit of toe in for the rear is generally recommended, 1/16" total or 0.15 degrees is reasonable.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #14
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiGuy View Post
How long did you wait until you got the alignment done?

I’ll be at 6 days since I installed them as of tomorrow.

So far, it does feel more planted. That I’m certain of. I’m also certain that it is a tad more bumpy but I’m not complaining at all. Very easily “daily drive-able” like this.

And thanks for the answer on the camber!
From what I know, when suspension components are installed, an alignment is done immediately after..