follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Storing an unused car?

When I get a BRZ/FRS I will not have use for my current car immediately. It's been in some accidents and has some body damage right now so even though it is mechanically sound and reliable I wouldn't get jack selling it. My plan is to keep it until my sister gets her permit or someone a family/friend needs a cheap car.

But in that time no one will use it so I will leave it in the driveway. I am in NY state and not sure what the requirements are or where to look?

So my question is, does it need plates, insurance, inspection to sit in my driveway unused?
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Draco233

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
When I get a BRZ/FRS I will not have use for my current car immediately. It's been in some accidents and has some body damage right now so even though it is mechanically sound and reliable I wouldn't get jack selling it. My plan is to keep it until my sister gets her permit or someone a family/friend needs a cheap car.

But in that time no one will use it so I will leave it in the driveway. I am in NY state and not sure what the requirements are or where to look?

So my question is, does it need plates, insurance, inspection to sit in my driveway unused?
I cannot be certain as I am from PA, but I know our laws here is in order for it to be on a street it has to be registered, have a plate, and be inspected. If you had a garage to store it in, I don't think all those things apply and you can lower the insurance to the minimum to cover damage from the garage, IE collapse etc. I would check with your local state laws, but I would say you have to at least have a plate and the vehicle registered to keep it on the street and legal. Hope this helps some
Draco233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
It really depends on how long your going to keep it there. My circumstance was a little different...

I stored my XRS from Sept - Feb (5 and half months) because I was working out of country. It was however garaged. I bought storage insurance and they took the plates away. Disconnected the battery, put the cover on and went away.

Came back, put the charger on the battery. Went to insurance place, was told my car had to go through emissions. Race home with temp permit, reconnect battery, start up, pump up tires. Scream down the highway on-ramp for cat warm up and clear, go through emissions, go to insurance and get plates. Done

I probably should perform an oil change before storage but I didn't know I would be leaving that quick...

But once again not sure what the deal is with your local insurance or how you want to do it.
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Zillazero

Drives: H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco233 View Post
I cannot be certain as I am from PA, but I know our laws here is in order for it to be on a street it has to be registered, have a plate, and be inspected. If you had a garage to store it in, I don't think all those things apply and you can lower the insurance to the minimum to cover damage from the garage, IE collapse etc. I would check with your local state laws, but I would say you have to at least have a plate and the vehicle registered to keep it on the street and legal. Hope this helps some
I agree to this. MY opinion says that it depends state wise. There should be minimum amount of insurance on storing a car. I haven't done this. I am just saying this. But its better to do this.
Zillazero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Repyt

Drives: Empty spot waiting to be filled...
In RI they can tow your car for being an "eyesore" even if it is on your own property. They usually only do this if it has no tags and viewable from the street. So when I leave I usually leave it registered and insured. Some insurance carries are different also... I've had one tell me a picture of the odo when I leave and when I return and if it has more than 50 miles on it they charge me full price for all the months it sat iirc they only charged me 6 bucks a month while I was gone. Some insurance carries want the car sitting on cinder blocks with wheels removed also with the 50 mile rule.

Moral of the story, try to find out the local laws/ordinances. Your best bet might be talking to a local cop.

Last edited by Repyt; 02-19-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Repyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Trought

Drives: XD
in my opinion storing an unused car will give you more troubles so try to take it out for every three days or a week
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Draco233

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trought View Post
in my opinion storing an unused car will give you more troubles so try to take it out for every three days or a week
I will agree with you there, my cavalier which I was working on for shows but then ran into trouble was garaged for the winter months, while I drove a beater truck. I would try to either start and run it for a good 5 minutes, or drive it around a few blocks to keep the oil moving and not ruin the tires as well as keep the battery charged. If I could not get it out due to snow, I would at least run it and keep a trickle charger to the keep the battery maintained for the winter months.
Draco233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
stefani88

Drives: stefani88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco233 View Post

I also think so.
stefani88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
In Texas if its on stands it doesnt need insurance

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think it will be less hassle to just leave it tagged and put the minimum insurance on it and park on the street. That way I can legally drive it a few miles a month. Should I put any additive in the fuel if it is only going to be run a few miles a month?
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yes, you'll want to use a fuel stabilizer (seafoam, sta-bil etc).
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote