follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2024, 03:19 AM   #1
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone use the Ansix Auto Oil Pressure Sensor CANbus Kit?

I was looking to get this kit for my car so I can monitor the oil pressure, to make sure it doesn't drop to dangerous levels while on the track. I'm not concerned with data logging, or anything like that. I just want it to trigger the oil light to warn me to slow down, on the hard right hand turns if necessary.
Is anyone using this device yet (I think it's fairly new)? Was it easy to install, and how well does it work?
Also, if you are using it, do you know what pressure limit it will take to trigger the oil light at the different RPM's?
I appreciate any info or advice anyone can give me regarding this device. I can't seem to find any info/videos on this device yet.

https://ansixauto.com/2022-brz-gr86-...or-canbus-kit/
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 12:54 PM   #2
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Get the GJP one. https://www.geraldjustprojects.com
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:27 PM   #3
dave99rt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I was looking to get this kit for my car so I can monitor the oil pressure, to make sure it doesn't drop to dangerous levels while on the track. I'm not concerned with data logging, or anything like that. I just want it to trigger the oil light to warn me to slow down, on the hard right hand turns if necessary.
Is anyone using this device yet (I think it's fairly new)? Was it easy to install, and how well does it work?
Also, if you are using it, do you know what pressure limit it will take to trigger the oil light at the different RPM's?
I appreciate any info or advice anyone can give me regarding this device. I can't seem to find any info/videos on this device yet.

Maybe I missed this existing, but where is it offered to have the OEM oil light become adjustable? The OEM sensor has a fixed psi that it turns on at. Afaik, the OEM low oil pressure light comes on when oil pressure is drops really low, like below ~10 psi. Your engine is fucked at that point if you're driving aggressively.

You probably need an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that has an adjustable warning light or pressure warning light kit. I know Longacre offers a light kit that is adjustable from 15-50 psi. I have zero experience with that kit.

It's difficult to see something on the gauge cluster flickering on when driving on track, especially on turns when pulling over 1 G.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:56 PM   #4
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99rt View Post
Maybe I missed this existing, but where is it offered to have the OEM oil light become adjustable? The OEM sensor has a fixed psi that it turns on at. Afaik, the OEM low oil pressure light comes on when oil pressure is drops really low, like below ~10 psi. Your engine is fucked at that point if you're driving aggressively.

You probably need an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that has an adjustable warning light or pressure warning light kit. I know Longacre offers a light kit that is adjustable from 15-50 psi. I have zero experience with that kit.

It's difficult to see something on the gauge cluster flickering on when driving on track, especially on turns when pulling over 1 G.
This device:

It is plug and play, and you have to replace the factory oil pressure switch with the included oil pressure sensor. This device is calibrated to trigger the oil light at a pressure that they think that it starts to become unsafe. They actually have the ability to adjust it how you like it if you don't agree with them. So it's basically customized to your needs. It can also do datalogging, which is great for those that want to see where the pressure drop happened, and to try to find solutions. I'm not interested in that because I just wanted to leave the car stock.
They have it set to .015 X RPM from 0 - 2,000 rpm (so at 1,000 RPM it will trigger at under 15 PSI) then over 2,000 RPM, it is set to trigger the light at 30 PSI.
It sounded great at first, because I thought it would be good for when I try a new track, I can spot check it to make sure that it has enough oil pressure. However, after thinking about it, I was not comfortable with "guessing" how much pressure was adequate. Or If I had them customize it to my guess that 40 PSI is good enough, how can I know for sure? And lets say I set the limit too high, and then as I'm having fun on the track and the light comes on too often, what do I do then?
I put a lot of thought into this, and originally thought that it was a great way to monitor my car to make sure I'm not doing silent damage. But quickly realized that I don't think I will be happy with the solution due to the lack of scientific accuracy.
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:56 AM   #5
dave99rt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
This device:

It is plug and play, and you have to replace the factory oil pressure switch with the included oil pressure sensor. This device is calibrated to trigger the oil light at a pressure that they think that it starts to become unsafe. They actually have the ability to adjust it how you like it if you don't agree with them. So it's basically customized to your needs. It can also do datalogging, which is great for those that want to see where the pressure drop happened, and to try to find solutions. I'm not interested in that because I just wanted to leave the car stock.
They have it set to .015 X RPM from 0 - 2,000 rpm (so at 1,000 RPM it will trigger at under 15 PSI) then over 2,000 RPM, it is set to trigger the light at 30 PSI.
It sounded great at first, because I thought it would be good for when I try a new track, I can spot check it to make sure that it has enough oil pressure. However, after thinking about it, I was not comfortable with "guessing" how much pressure was adequate. Or If I had them customize it to my guess that 40 PSI is good enough, how can I know for sure? And lets say I set the limit too high, and then as I'm having fun on the track and the light comes on too often, what do I do then?
I put a lot of thought into this, and originally thought that it was a great way to monitor my car to make sure I'm not doing silent damage. But quickly realized that I don't think I will be happy with the solution due to the lack of scientific accuracy.
Thanks!
I can see how not being able to personally adjust it sucks.