follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #10781
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
...EWCS 1/0 Gauge Premium Extra Flexible Welding Cable 600 Volt Combo Pack - Black+Red 15 Feet of Each - Made in the USA

Something like that should work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
Since I plan on running twin phantoms I want to go back to having a full size batter in the car rather than the Odyssey. But the smaller batteries won't since I'll have to run four batteries. My plan is to have them in the trunk and run wire to the front. My question is. Would it be safe for me to use jumper cables wires?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I agree with 86TOYO. I have been running 2 dump packs with a trunk mounted starter battery since 2014. Photobucket has since made the pics blurry but the post is still up: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69409

my battery mount wouldn't be track legal, but it does what I wanted it to while not damaging the stock interior.

I used 2ga welding wire from northern tool I think, very flexible and thick protective sheathing. I went kind of overboard with the double grounds. I eventually swapped out to an AGM battery when the factory starter batt died in late 2017, but otherwise I haven't had any problems. Still running on the original dump packs. I probably need to do another datalog run to see if I am still hitting the same boost levels.

I'll try to get good copies from photobucket if you want to see the pictures for ideas.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:00 AM   #10782
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Why not do it right with the proper wire/cable? Technically jumper cables would work but probably not ideal and may not be safe.

EWCS 1/0 Gauge Premium Extra Flexible Welding Cable 600 Volt Combo Pack - Black+Red 15 Feet of Each - Made in the USA

Something like that should work.
Lol cuz I didn't know what the proper way would be. But this helps now I just gotta look up this wiring also having the large battery in the trunk vs the smaller ones sounds like a better idea as well

BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:07 AM   #10783
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
I agree with 86TOYO. I have been running 2 dump packs with a trunk mounted starter battery since 2014. Photobucket has since made the pics blurry but the post is still up: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69409

my battery mount wouldn't be track legal, but it does what I wanted it to while not damaging the stock interior.

I used 2ga welding wire from northern tool I think, very flexible and thick protective sheathing. I went kind of overboard with the double grounds. I eventually swapped out to an AGM battery when the factory starter batt died in late 2017, but otherwise I haven't had any problems. Still running on the original dump packs. I probably need to do another datalog run to see if I am still hitting the same boost levels.

I'll try to get good copies from photobucket if you want to see the pictures for ideas.
I just looked at your post all the pics come up nicely

Old 03-03-2020, 12:27 AM   #10784
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol cuz I didn't know what the proper way would be. But this helps now I just gotta look up this wiring also having the large battery in the trunk vs the smaller ones sounds like a better idea as well

You running tandem or parallel? The torqamps looked to surge pretty bad in parallel. Also could look at some sort of bypass valve to bring in air when off boost so they aren’t such a bottleneck, as long as everything is pre maf it wont effect air reading. Just some thoughts. Interested in seeing what you end up doing.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:43 AM   #10785
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
You running tandem or parallel? The torqamps looked to surge pretty bad in parallel. Also could look at some sort of bypass valve to bring in air when off boost so they aren’t such a bottleneck, as long as everything is pre maf it wont effect air reading. Just some thoughts. Interested in seeing what you end up doing.
Yea I saw the torqamp video, so I plan on doing them in sequence. Blowing into at an intercooler and back into a y pipe at the throttle body. The other end of the y would just have a filter. I plan on have the maf post turbskies since otherwise air coming in from the filter wouldn't be read. I believe it can be done most of the supercharger kits have the maf sitting after the intercooler. Only thing is the hose that sits in front of the throttle body wth is that?

Old 03-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #10786
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Yea I saw the torqamp video, so I plan on doing them in sequence. Blowing into at an intercooler and back into a y pipe at the throttle body. The other end of the y would just have a filter. I plan on have the maf post turbskies since otherwise air coming in from the filter wouldn't be read. I believe it can be done most of the supercharger kits have the maf sitting after the intercooler. Only thing is the hose that sits in front of the throttle body wth is that?

crank case return. Can always vent to atmosphere and get rid of it.
Your idea should work fine. But you need some sort of bypass valve so under boost the “open filter” side is closed so boost won’t leak out, but under vacuum its open to bypass the twin chargers.

This could be a low end torque monster. And with all that extra weight in the trunk to help traction. Sounds like a good time.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:56 AM   #10787
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:

Your idea should work fine. But you need some sort of bypass valve so under boost the “open filter” side is closed so boost won’t leak out, but under vacuum its open to bypass the twin chargers.

This could be a low end torque monster. And with all that extra weight in the trunk to help traction. Sounds like a good time.
I could buy the bypass valve that torqamp sells on their site it's about 150 bucks. It has a flap on the inside that does exactly that.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:57 AM   #10788
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:

Here it is

Old 03-03-2020, 01:28 AM   #10789
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I just looked at your post all the pics come up nicely

ok good, not sure why it shows them blurred out for me. Anyway, here is some dump pack pics that weren't in the relocation. Had to cut the side lip off of the battery tray and add some washers as spacers to make the top piece wide enough for the 2 dump packs.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #10790
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Here it is

could work, the charger side piping diameter looks a little small to me. but if that's the only option i guess it works. if its the same size as the charger outlet then maybe it wont matter much.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #10791
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I could buy the bypass valve that torqamp sells on their site it's about 150 bucks. It has a flap on the inside that does exactly that.

you'll also need something like this and then have that bypass into this, and then this into the manifold. then you need some some way to mount everything, since i wouldn't trust the weight of this on the couplers. i would completely remove the stock intake, and you could reuse those 3 mounting points to support everything. then you'll need some custom intake pipe work if you want a cai back, copy something like the perrin cai with a crushed pipe to go through the normal intake location. you could even have the CAI go into a Y so you have 1 filter/intake pipe that splits into the bypass valve.

https://www.ebay.com/i/173877579100?...yABEgJKmfD_BwE
Old 03-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #10792
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
you'll also need something like this and then have that bypass into this, and then this into the manifold. then you need some some way to mount everything, since i wouldn't trust the weight of this on the couplers. i would completely remove the stock intake, and you could reuse those 3 mounting points to support everything. then you'll need some custom intake pipe work if you want a cai back, copy something like the perrin cai with a crushed pipe to go through the normal intake location. you could even have the CAI go into a Y so you have 1 filter/intake pipe that splits into the bypass valve.

https://www.ebay.com/i/173877579100?...yABEgJKmfD_BwE
Yea I have one of those already since I had a custom intake similar to the Perrin. Now since I'm running an intercooler. Running all that piping is what's gonna give me a headache.

Last edited by BlOody_BoOger; 03-03-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #10793
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Yea I have one of those already since I had a customer intake similar to the Perrin. Now since I'm running an intercooler running all that piping is what's gonna give me a headache

ah i see,
i don't know how beneficial an intercooler will be with these, i don't see them generating too much heat. and then with how you would probably have to route the pluming for everything you will create a lot of lag and possibly less boost. negating most of the benefit of running two.

you could try to do a air to water setup so you could have the rad in the front bumper and then have a small heat exchanger post charger so its still a pretty straight shot to the manifold. probably a lot less headache routing everything.

or just do WMI and get the cooling and octane increase with having no air restrictions in the system.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #10794
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
ah i see,

i don't know how beneficial an intercooler will be with these, i don't see them generating too much heat. and then with how you would probably have to route the pluming for everything you will create a lot of lag and possibly less boost. negating most of the benefit of running two.

you could try to do a air to water setup so you could have the rad in the front bumper and then have a small heat exchanger post charger so its still a pretty straight shot to the manifold. probably a lot less headache routing everything.

or just do WMI and get the cooling and octane increase with having no air restrictions in the system.
That was my thought aswell I wasn't going to use one but someone mentioned how the sprintex makes roughly around 7psi, and would still get pretty hot idk so that's what got me thinking

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive