follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

View Poll Results: Do you have a front license plate installed?
Yes 10 25.00%
No 25 62.50%
Keep it on the dash 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TEXAS DRIVERS! Need your input!

Preface: I know I could have done research on the forum and come up with my own estimate, but this seemed like a more approriate forum to gather everyone's response at once.

How many of you have installed the front license plate. If not, why not? If so, where? Drilled into the bumper? Tow hook attachment? Do you have it in the front dash? From my understanding, a cop can pull you over for it, but currently there is no punishment set for not having one installed? My dealer tags expire in about 3 weeks, so I wanted to get a good sense of what the rest of y'all are doing.
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Tow hook. Good luck trying to explain to a cop that you can run a single plate. Is it worth your time being pulled over, taking it to court, and still probably getting hit with a fine?
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
FrX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1993 Lexus SC300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I actually got a ticket for no front plate the other day....

Finally got around to putting on the tow-hook plate kit I bought a few months ago. Oh well.
FrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
I bought a tow-hook mount, but haven't used it. It's available for me if I get a fix-it ticket. Otherwise, no issue so far.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
The Slow One
Track Junkie

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I haven't had a front plate for the past 11 years and probably still won't use one. Reason? I might have had a fix-it ticket one or twice, but that was because the cops pulled me over for speeding too. I never got pulled over just because I didn't have a front license plate.
The Slow One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the Grimmspeed towhook mount. I was pulled over in my last car by a cop who asked me about my front plate. The thing that killed me was I had a front plate, it was another car similar to mine that had passed me that had no plate. Just not worth the hassle.
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
On my 240sx I had it on the dash and was pulled over a few times for it but was never given a ticket. I'm guessing tho they pulled me over more cause of the car itself and less on the fact that the front plate wasn't mounted. My buddy has it on the dash as well but he travels in a different county in Texas than I do and he has never been pulled over for the plate. So it would really depend on the cops in your area. Id give it a try for a while without it mounted and if you get the ticket then mount it and get it dismissed.
Shneegle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shneegle For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Ocho-Seis

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
I like my front license plate.....its attached to the bumper too. The hassle of putting it in the dashboard or not having one at all just isn't worth it.
Ocho-Seis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Kept it on the dash on the Supras, never got pulled over for it...

I do like the look of the relocated plate though. It's JDM, yo!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
zaptorque (11-08-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
asphalt86_915

Drives: asphalt scion frs
Garage
I ain't got it cause I think it make the front ugly I think you'll only got to worry about state trooper because they'll get you for any little thing, I'll only put it on with zip ties if I get a fix it ticket or going out of town.
asphalt86_915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Mochikomi

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
I never had one on my last car (of 12 years) in Austin. I got pulled over for it 3 times, no tickets. I still haven't mounted mine on the front of the BRZ. Mainly because my wife hid the plate from the kids since they were playing with it and we haven't been able to find it since! Been 2 1/2 months in the BRZ with no cop stops yet. I'm planning on just letting them drill the bumper when I do finally dig the plate back up, as the off-center relocators make my OCD go off.
Mochikomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
whiteradam

Drives: 2000 RS, 2013 BRZ
Garage
Picked the car up in Portland, OR. Drove it around for a week up there. Drove it back to San Antonio through 6 states. All this time with only the temp dealer plate in the back window, no problems at all.

In SA for less than 24 hours and a cop pulls me over because he said he did not see the dealer plate. Gives me a load about how it needs to be on the outside of the car and in the normal plate location. Try to explain to him that on the back of the temp plate it clearly tells me to place it in the back window on the drivers side. His interpretation of the law is that I need to follow the laws of the state the car is being drove in.

Then he started going off on me about not having a plate on the front! At that point I knew he was just harassing me. No point in arguing with an idiot. What state issues back AND front temp plates?

Went home and immediately ordered a Perrin tow hook mount. Still don't like the look even relocated, but did not want to deal with SAs "brightest".
whiteradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteradam View Post
Picked the car up in Portland, OR. Drove it around for a week up there. Drove it back to San Antonio through 6 states. All this time with only the temp dealer plate in the back window, no problems at all.

In SA for less than 24 hours and a cop pulls me over because he said he did not see the dealer plate. Gives me a load about how it needs to be on the outside of the car and in the normal plate location. Try to explain to him that on the back of the temp plate it clearly tells me to place it in the back window on the drivers side. His interpretation of the law is that I need to follow the laws of the state the car is being drove in.

Then he started going off on me about not having a plate on the front! At that point I knew he was just harassing me. No point in arguing with an idiot. What state issues back AND front temp plates?

Went home and immediately ordered a Perrin tow hook mount. Still don't like the look even relocated, but did not want to deal with SAs "brightest".
the car has to follow the rules of the state it is registered in, if its illegal in another state but not yours, tell him tough luck buddy I aint from around here and those laws dont pertain to my car

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
UltraFRS

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mine had the front mount on it when I bought it. Immediately pulled it off and now it sits in the garage. For those of you that don't know, there is still a law in the books about having a front plate in Texas, but there is no fine associated with it anymore.
UltraFRS is offline   Reply With Quote