follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #99
Vampyre

Drives: 2014 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
100% punk rock white. I speak English, Spanish, Italian, a bit of Russian, and in learning of Tagalog from the wife who is 100% Filipina. From redneck as hell Florida...lol, but I grew up on a farm in TN and the wife was born an air force brat in Germany.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #100
Train

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S AT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
100% S. Korean. Born in Seoul, now in Vaughan/Concord in Canada. Can speak English and Korean.
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #101
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
American/white.

Mostly of German, Italian, English and Native American descent. The Italian side is the close side. Most of the extended family live in Sannicandro (just inland from Bari) and in Florence. We try to visit and attend weddings and funerals when we can. I grew up in eastern WA and currently live in western WA.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #102
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
As white as white can get. Almost translucent so white.

Fathers side is easy since some Great Aunt researched the family back to the 1500s. They were English Puritans that were one of the first families to settle Boston in 1630. When the colonies revolted in 1773 they left and moved to Quebec. My whatever level of Great Grandfather then went back and fought for the British. The family stayed in Quebec and a little French blood crept in. My Great Grandmother was Iroquois and you could really see it in my dad but not with me.

Mother's side don't have the same level of detail but do know they were also British that came to Ontario in the early 1700s.

So in total I am freakin' white.
Choco (04-04-2016), dvasqu01 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #103
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Im an Italian, Irish, cherokee, chipawa, french, german, mutt American from Northbay California.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #104
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post

hiroshima was a purely civilian target.
Notwithstand the pure humanitarian horror of the A-bombing of Hiroshima, it was in fact a military target by virtue of the large military presence there (Headquarters, 2nd General Army AND 5th Division) and its heavy industrial manufacturing infrastructure. It was also a key shipping area and communications center. All of these features made H. an obvious military target.

It is also important to note that Japan also was actively developing an atomic bomb under the direction of Dr. Yoshio Nishina and had they succeeded in their efforts, it no doubt would have been deployed against the United States, probably San Francisco via a submarine suicide mission. I have no doubt that the Japanese leadership of the WWII era would have used an A-bomb on America if they could have delivered one.

The same was true about Germany, Britain and Russia; every major power of that period was working on an atomic bomb. The U.S. just got there first. Every nation working on this horrific weapon was driven by the thought that the "other guys" might get there first.

With regard to Nagasaki, I have to wonder why the Japanese leadership did not surrender after the first bomb on Hiroshima was dropped. Surely, they knew what it was, considering that they had been developing the same thing, just with less success. Even after Nagasaki, there still was hesitation on the part of the military leadership; that is why Emperor Hirohito famously stepped in to end the war by surrendering.

Plently of blame on all sides to go around. Facts are important, though.

Getting a bit more back on topic, there is no such thing as race from a biological standpoint. Every human is capable of reproducing with every other human of the opposite sex (notwithstanding the genetic weirdness possible these days with two or even three parents involved). Culture is another matter, but I enjoy all cultures. Just because I have a fair amount of Scottish ancestry, though (ancestors from Edinburgh), I like to make fun of all things Scottish, like The Haggis.

Last edited by babydriver; 04-02-2016 at 06:08 PM.
babydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #105
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
Notwithstand the pure humanitarian horror of the A-bombing of Hiroshima, it was in fact a military target by virtue of the large military presence there (Headquarters, 2nd General Army AND 5th Division) and its heavy industrial manufacturing infrastructure. It was also a key shipping area and communications center. All of these features made H. an obvious military target.

It is also important to note that Japan also was actively developing an atomic bomb under the direction of Dr. Yoshio Nishina and had they succeeded in their efforts, it no doubt would have been deployed against the United States, probably San Francisco via a submarine suicide mission. I have no doubt that the Japanese leadership of the WWII era would have used an A-bomb on America if they could have delivered one.

The same was true about Germany, Britain and Russia; every major power of that period was working on an atomic bomb. The U.S. just got there first. Every nation working on this horrific weapon was driven by the thought that the "other guys" might get there first.

With regard to Nagasaki, I have to wonder why the Japanese leadership did not surrender after the first bomb on Hiroshima was dropped. Surely, they knew what it was, considering that they had been developing the same thing, just with less success. Even after Nagasaki, there still was hesitation on the part of the military leadership; that is why Emperor Hirohito famously stepped in to end the war by surrendering.

*sigh* this is a sore topic for people of my ethnicity so i'd rather not continue, but i have to insist that regardless of that, it was a civilian target, and an atrocity. In today's era, bombing a civilian city full of 300,000 civilians would be considered an atrocity regardless of whether there was a military base there or industrial manufacturing there or not. Back then, it was still considered a war crime but players on all sides continually committed war crimes. I'm just glad i didn't live in that era. And saying if we didn't do it to them first, they would have done it to us first is a very poor excuse for committing an atrocity. Food for thought.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:31 AM   #106
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post

Getting a bit more back on topic, there is no such thing as race from a biological standpoint. Every human is capable of reproducing with every other human of the opposite sex (notwithstanding the genetic weirdness possible these days with two or even three parents involved). Culture is another matter, but I enjoy all cultures. Just because I have a fair amount of Scottish ancestry, though (ancestors from Edinburgh), I like to make fun of all things Scottish, like The Haggis.
Not sure why you had to resurrect a 4 year dead debate but this probably not the forum to discuss this subject on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
*sigh* this is a sore topic for people of my ethnicity so i'd rather not continue, but i have to insist that regardless of that, it was a civilian target, and an atrocity. In today's era, bombing a civilian city full of 300,000 civilians would be considered an atrocity regardless of whether there was a military base there or industrial manufacturing there or not. Back then, it was still considered a war crime but players on all sides continually committed war crimes. I'm just glad i didn't live in that era. And saying if we didn't do it to them first, they would have done it to us first is a very poor excuse for committing an atrocity. Food for thought.

You are correct this should not continue.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 AM   #107
dvasqu01

Drives: Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Wtf is this history class

Yes I'll give you the rice noodle😘
dvasqu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #108
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasqu01 View Post
Wtf is this history class

Yes I'll give you the rice noodle😘
Leave it alone.

Everybody leave it alone!

This could go sideways fast.
finch1750 (04-04-2016), Guff (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 AM   #109
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Listen to @Tcoat, keep things on topic!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #110
Juvenile

Drives: 86 GTS
Thanked 1,430 Times in 417 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Greek/Australian
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:32 AM   #111
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
British/Australian
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #112
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
Greek/Australian!

lol was going through this thread and was thinking wow i'm the only person on here thats got Greek background