follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Review of ACT 6 Puck @ Pure Automotive Performance

Hey guys, just a quick review of my experience with a clutch install I did this week. I know when it comes to all the different options for parts, there's a lot of speculations and assumptions of prospective options. This is a TOTALLY UNBIASED review. I don't make any more money from selling you an ACT Clutch than I do from a Comp Clutch, Clutchmasters, etc. I just wanted to post my thoughts on this clutch so if you're shopping clutches you have some real world opinions to go off of.

ACT (Advanced Clutch Technologies) 6 Puck HD

What ACT Says:
This Performance Race Kit features ACT's most popular Heavy Duty Pressure plate. ACT Heavy Duty pressure plates use exclusive diaphragm design to increase clamp load, reduce deflection and maximize clutch life. All diaphragms endure an exclusive four-stage, heat-treating process for unparalleled performance. ACT pressure plates have precision cover stampings to provide rigidity and consistency. ACT's 6-pad rigid race discs are made with high quality, ceramic friction materials. The chrome-moly hub is heat-treated for strength and durability. The lightweight, rigid design allows for quicker shifts and smooth, trouble-free service. With the 6-pad rigid race disc engagement is harsher, but shifting is fast. The 6-pad rigid race disc is recommended for larger clutch sizes to absorb more heat.

The SB8-HDR6 Includes the Following Components

SB-017 - Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Clamp load increase of 70%, Pedal feels stock to moderate, SFI Certified to insure safety.

6224018 - Solid 6-Puck Disc - Aggressive engagement with fast shift action; Lightweight rigid design for low to moderate gear rattle. Recommended for high horsepower street or race use.

600700 - Prolite Flywheel - Lightest flywheel offering with lowest inertia, preferred for road racing or rally racing, and have reduced drivability.

RB004 Release Bearing OEM Quality Throw out Bearing

PB1004 Pilot Bearing OEM Quality Pilot Bearing

AT90 Alignment Tool For Quick and Easy Installation
TQ Capacity 345 ft/lbs

What I say:

The install wasn't a terrible experience, the pressure plate is tricky to get seated because there are multiple dowel pin holes but it only properly seats one way. The pressure plate to clutch disc clearance was tight, I had to very gradually work it into place to get it lined up properly.
The parts are all high quality, the release bearing and pilot bearing are nearly identical to stock. The flywheel is pretty gnarly looking as it is only 10.5 lbs. It uses the stock flywheel bolts, but comes with new pressure plate mounting bolts.

Driveability:
The pedal had to be adjusted up quite a bit from the DIY better engagement setting in order to feel proper. The engagement is very quick, you don't really have the large amount of play that the stock clutch has. It's not the most aggressive clutch I've ever driven, but it took a little playing around to get the hang of. The pedal feel is, in my opinion, mildly firm. It definitely takes more effort than stock, but I don't think it would cause any leg cramps if you were stuck in traffic. Upon the first test drive, I found that it takes a little more gas when shifting from a stop in order to prevent jerky starts. That got easier as I drove it around and got the feel for it. You can really feel the quick engagement when you are doing a little spirited driving and shifting quickly. It makes the gear changes much faster that stock. There is a soft rattle or vibration noise that reverberates as you decelerate in gear. It is not offensive at all, I was listening for it because its common in lightened flywheels. Had I not been listening for it, I probably wouldn't have noticed for a while. If you've ever had a lightweight flywheel, you know what I mean when I say, you can feel the lack of inertia in low RPMS. For those that don't know what I mean, the lightened flywheel doesn't maintain rotational inertia as well as the heavier stock one, so when you're coming to a stop, the RPMS fall off quickly, causing a slight dip. This effect is completely normal when you go with a lightened flywheel. The upside is that, as quickly as the RPMS fall off, it revs up that much faster. 10 Miles later, no check engine light, no issues reported. Its not my vehicle so I won't be putting any more miles on it than that. Here are some comparison pics:

Thanks For Reading!

Brady
The Following User Says Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (01-10-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Awesome review!
Pure Automotive (01-09-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
How long did the install take?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Around 6 hours was the grand total from start to finish.

Closed Thread