follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
abec

Drives: 2019 Series Grey, 2016 FRS RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD Rally Suspension Installed!

There have been several threads on these, people wanting to get more info on them. After some searching I found enough information about them to decide to pull the trigger and order myself a set.

They are spec for a rally series in japan, as of this posting its name is Gazoo Racing Rally Challenge. However it seems to be renamed every year, so that might not be the current name.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiTsZkOwlTM[/ame]

Here is a video of the class in a Rallycross course as one of the stages of the race.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DS0r2YSnE[/ame]

Here is one of the tarmac stages. From the view of ZN6 I believe to be in the CS-3 class that runs this suspension.

Came well packaged straight from Toyota, purchased through Black Hawk Japan. BHJ was awesome responded promptly to my initial order to let me know that they could not be shipped by air due to being a gas strut. I was able to get them by sea and they refunded me the shipping difference.

Unpacked and ready to be installed.

Not a 'how to' thread, same steps as doing lowering springs.

Car up, wheels off, ready to remove the stock assembly.

I have camber plates already, which swapped over with no issues.

Shorter but stiffer springs get the job done providing added ground clearance for these rough california roads.

With my camber plates the fronts the spring under full droop is not fully captured. I will refrain from jumping the car if it can be avoided. *This has been confirmed to not be an issue if you are using the stock top hat.* - Edit

SPC* control arms in the back.

Will have more photos, to busy driving to stop and capture any.

I did my alignment more based on Tarmac rally than dirt.

(after some driving I made some changes, will put those next to the original alignment)

Front
Camber: -1.8 L&R
Toe: 1/32 OUT
Caster: -6.6 L&R

Spring rate: 45.5n/mm // 259.3 lbs/in
Bound: 540n
Rebound: 1250n

Rear
Camber: -1.3 L&R (reduced to -1)
Toe: 1/16 IN (reduced to 0)

Spring rate: 51.5n/mm // 293.5 lbs/in
Bound: 400n
Rebound: 1120n

After some hours driving, I added a 16mm adjustable Perrin swaybar on the softest setting. This reduced body roll and kept a fairly neutral with a bias towards oversteer where as before it still had a more understeer bias.

If I were to sum up the driving experience so far I would say, "Happy puppy wagging its tail."

Other mods include. 4.5 rear end, JDL catted UEL, HKS 2x resonated FP, Borla catback, EcuTek tune on 91.

On initial install the car was a full inch higher. After driving it settled and I would guess 15mm higher than stock.

225/50r16 on 8" wide wheels.

Last edited by abec; 09-14-2022 at 04:29 AM.
abec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to abec For This Useful Post:
7 skulls (05-04-2019), churchx (05-04-2019), NoHaveMSG (05-04-2019), TachyonBomb (05-14-2019), Thaeyo (05-12-2019), Trueweltall (06-28-2019), venturaII (07-01-2019), whataboutbob (03-25-2021)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Grab some keeper springs, the keeps should give you an additional 15mm height.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
abec (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:12 AM   #3
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I quite like this.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
abec (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
abec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Grab some keeper springs, the keeps should give you an additional 15mm height.
Its about 5mm at most, I suspect its due to how the camber plates interact with the setup. If I use a precision spacer above the bearing in the camber plates that would fix it.

Also parked next to a stock 86 today.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Finally, somebody decided to buy these lol. Very nice!

How would you compare the ride to stock in terms of body roll and absorbing bumps?
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Thaeyo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
https://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/index...roduct_id=1204

Are these the same as yours?
Thaeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
abec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaeyo View Post
Those are the same.

I am going to do a more extensive review soon. Will post that here once I do.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
abec

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
Finally, somebody decided to buy these lol. Very nice!

How would you compare the ride to stock in terms of body roll and absorbing bumps?
The suspension while stiffer, is more compliant. It does have more body roll, but that comes with more travel and increased ride height. I have it paired with 225/50r16 tires so bumps and holes that would upset a stock 86's chassis don't phase me. Once I have some more time driving it and sorted out the alignment where I want it, I will try to have more of a review/write up on the handling. I am also waiting on some winter tires to use for offroad.
The Following User Says Thank You to abec For This Useful Post:
NLSP (05-13-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #9
abec

*Big Update*

The plan was to get the car through a rally cross before posting a full write up and review on the TRD Rally suspension. Everything was looking good for this weekend to do my first rallycross until an incident happened two weeks ago.

During a small group drive a couple people ahead of me misjudged a reducing radius and found their way into the mountain side. Fortunately no one hurt and only contact any cars made was with the hillside and not each other. Unfortunately I was in a place where I did not see the accident, nor did I see the cars between the accident and myself get on their brakes. As I came around the corner, there was a parking lot instead of a road. I managed to avoid hitting anyone else by steering into the mountain side, the car though ended up on its side and a total loss. My only injury is a sprained thumb.

With that said, let me write a bit about the suspension here and now for the kind of driving it did see, poorly maintained mountain roads. For which it was great!

It does really good over high frequency bumps. However had a bit of a tendency to bounce off of the bigger bumps, soaking up the initial bump way more than stock but leaving the car to spring a bit after. This characteristic took a few drives to become accustom to. I would expect a nicer set of race dampeners would address this with high speed and low speed bump settings. Overall the suspension cut out the harshness of the stock dampeners while allowing the wheels to move quickly under you keeping contact with even the roughest road conditions allowing for more confidence around corners that have features that would unsettle a less compliant set up.

As expected the body roll felt more Impreza like than STI. I tuned the body roll with a Parrin 16mm adjustable sway at the softest setting and a good alignment to keep the car at a neutral with slight over steer tendency. This was the closest to stock with only a 30% gain in stiffness in the softest setting that I could find. I felt it kept to the nature of the suspension being soft and light over bumps while reducing roll. for offroad/rallycross I planned to disconnect the sway bars completely, however I did not get around to doing that to see how it felt like on the road.

Overall I was very happy with the budget cost of this setup and the performance gain over stock, I would have loved to get it on dirt and see how it did in the conditions it was designed for, but that will have to wait for another day.

As for whats next, I did end up replacing my 2016 FRS with another 86, only this one is a 2019 Series Grey BRZ. While I am going to reuse the TRD rally springs I will put them on the SACHS struts. Keeping this car more for the road than the rally hybrid I was building. I still want a rally 86, but it will have to wait for when I have the space for a pair of twins.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abec For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-01-2019), TeutonicShift89 (06-29-2019), venturaII (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abec View Post

225/50r16 on 8" wide wheels.

I love the look. Brand/specs on the wheels, please?
abec (07-04-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,226 Times in 2,954 Posts
Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Do the TRD dampers have OEM stroke?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
abec (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
DliciousFish

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'm just going to piggy back off this thread. I just had mine installed a couple days ago. Ordered them through NigelJDM. I wanted to go higher so I also ordered a strut and multi-link spacer kit from Anderson Design & Fabrication:

https://andersondesign-fab.com/produ...-link-spacers/

I went with 1-1/2" in the front, 1-7/8" in the rear. We decided to not use camber bolts in the front because we could rotate the strut spacer to get 3 levels of camber. The multi link spacers were very important in the back to correct for camber in the rear. During the install we found the spacers had pushed the rear subframe too close to the exhaust. The shop tweaked the fitment and was able to get a 1/4 inch gap between the two. The exhaust is the Invidia Q300 with 2.5 inch tubing. And now the pics:

Before:

After:

DliciousFish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DliciousFish For This Useful Post:
asdf (07-04-2019), spike021 (07-05-2019), TeutonicShift89 (07-04-2019), TofuJoe (07-07-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:00 AM   #13
abec

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I love the look. Brand/specs on the wheels, please?
Thanks, wish I had not wrecked I too loved that wheel combo.

They are Fifteen52 Formula TR, they were only available for a very short time. I currently have 3 good ones, and one thats questionable if it can be repaired. The wheel repair place near me works wonders though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Do the TRD dampers have OEM stroke?

- Andrew

I couldn't find any data on the stroke of the standard shocks. Above is the data on the TRD rally stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DliciousFish View Post
I'm just going to piggy back off this thread. I just had mine installed a couple days ago...

Well damn I thought I had the only set in the states! Glad to see another one on the road with them. They ride good, I bet having that extra height is nice. I found that the rise was not quite 10mm. So your set up is more suited for some rugged roads and not just well groomed gravel, rough tarmac.

The Sparco's look good, always wanted a set for some beater winter tires.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What about the end links? Longer end links are needed to match the 10mm higher ride height.

Where to find longer end links?
Yoniyama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirt, drift, rally, suspension, trd