follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
Legoshi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P0010 - What the H*ck is Going On?

Hi all,

About a month ago, I randomly went into limp mode with a P000A code which caused some weird idles and hard start ups. CEL went away on it's own after restarting the car but the occasional wonky idle and hard start would rear their heads. Weeks later, I got a P0353 AND a P0010 code at the same time. I replaced the coil pack and the P0353 went away but the P0010 persists. I replaced the bank 1 OCV, tried swapping them around and the code is still there, always P0010. Car feels absolutely fine under load but cold starts are awful and the idle occasionally dips below 200rpm in traffic. Oil looks completely clean and only has ~3500 miles on it.

CSG_Mike recommended replacing the ECU but I'm looking for other leads before I bite the bullet. I'd hate to spend ~$500 on a new one only to find out that I need shell out a small fortune for some new cam sprockets.

Going to try flashing to the stock tune and run 91 for a bit on the off chance that it's an E85 thing (though I doubt it ). Also will be switching to 0W20 for the time being since other threads about the same code mention the code randomly going away after doing so. I'll post an update of that once my tank of E85 is dry.

Any ideas lads? I'm completely stumped.
2015 FR-S MT
Redline 5W30
FTSpeed UEL Catted Headers
OFTv2 E85 v4 tune
No way to check oil pressure to see if it's actually a VVT issue

Last edited by Legoshi; 12-18-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Legoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
- P000A is a B1 camshaft A slow response
- I can't find P0535 on the TIS rip but it's a P0xxx range so it's standard across makes, that's A/C evaporator temp sensor
- P0010 Is a B1 camshaft A actuator circuit

I don't know why you would replace a coil for that 535, I don't know why you wouldn't check the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT for a DTC which concerns the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT of an actuator, especially since you've flipped actuators around and confirmed the issue remains on that specific ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT.

I know I know, it's less frequent to have electrical gremlins on a japanese car, but it happens. Follow the diagnostic chart, if you need a new ECU, you'll get to that step eventually the legitimate way.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Legoshi (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 11:07 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
You can see VVT angles in techstream but not pressures. You are getting a code for the actuator circuit so looking at the VVT angles or pressures isn’t really helping you sort out the issue. It’s either a open/short in the OCV or an open/short in the circuit.
Legoshi (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 11:56 PM   #4
Legoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
- P000A is a B1 camshaft A slow response
- I can't find P0535 on the TIS rip but it's a P0xxx range so it's standard across makes, that's A/C evaporator temp sensor
- P0010 Is a B1 camshaft A actuator circuit

I don't know why you would replace a coil for that 535, I don't know why you wouldn't check the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT for a DTC which concerns the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT of an actuator, especially since you've flipped actuators around and confirmed the issue remains on that specific ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT.

I know I know, it's less frequent to have electrical gremlins on a japanese car, but it happens. Follow the diagnostic chart, if you need a new ECU, you'll get to that step eventually the legitimate way.
*P0353

I'm dyslexic and wrote it wrong lol
Old 12-18-2022, 11:58 PM   #5
Legoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You can see VVT angles in techstream but not pressures. You are getting a code for the actuator circuit so looking at the VVT angles or pressures isn’t really helping you sort out the issue. It’s either a open/short in the OCV or an open/short in the circuit.
Could it be the actual harness for bank 1 that's shorting? Hence the consistent code despite new OCVs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Legoshi For This Useful Post:
Opie (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:14 AM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legoshi View Post
Could it be the actual harness for bank 1 that's shorting? Hence the consistent code despite new OCVs.
Yes. Basically that means you have an issue with that circuit somewhere from the ECU all the way to the OCV. So bad OCV(changed already), damaged connector at OCV, damaged engine harness, damaged connector where the engine harness meets the chassis harness, damaged harness from there to the ECU, or bad ECU.
Opie (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 02:33 AM   #7
Legoshi

Quote:
Yes. Basically that means you have an issue with that circuit somewhere from the ECU all the way to the OCV. So bad OCV(changed already), damaged connector at OCV, damaged engine harness, damaged connector where the engine harness meets the chassis harness, damaged harness from there to the ECU, or bad ECU.
Got it! I'll check it out. Thanks a ton for the lead.

Do you think it's possible that it could be the cam sprocket? That's what most similar codes I've researched seem to fall back to. I'll check the circuit either way, just wanna know if it's even a possibility.

Last edited by Legoshi; 12-19-2022 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Got it! I'll check it out. Thanks a ton for the lead.

Do you think it's possible that it could be the cam sprocket? That's what most similar codes I've researched seem to fall back to. I'll check the circuit either way, just wanna know if it's even a possibility.
No, not going to be the cam sprocket. The code you have is for an issue in the circuit, if you check @Ultramaroon's sig the link to the manuals are there. It has the diagnostic steps.
Legoshi (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #9
Legoshi

Fixed it!

I pulled out and cleaned every single part attached to bank 1 (OCVs, VVT position sensors) and checked the resistances of each part and of the harness itself. It all checked out, so I added a bit of dielectric grease to the connectors before reseating them. I undid and reseated the big, chunky connector where the engine harness meets the chassis harness and went to bed since it was late.

Woke up, car started fine and the CEL was gone.

It could have been as simple as one of the bank 1 connectors coming loose, but since they haven't been touched since the car left the factory I doubt it. My best guess is that it was the main engine+chassis plug being dirty or not seated properly since I removed it during a clutch install a couple months ago.

Thanks guys!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Legoshi For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-22-2022), humfrz (12-23-2022), NoHaveMSG (12-22-2022), Ultramaroon (12-22-2022), x808drifter (12-23-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 02:57 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
No, not going to be the cam sprocket. The code you have is for an issue in the circuit, if you check @Ultramaroon's sig the link to the manuals are there. It has the diagnostic steps.
Mention function failed. I would've popped in to link the manuals. Looks like OP got it sorted!
Old 12-23-2022, 12:37 AM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Fixed it!

I pulled out and cleaned every single part attached to bank 1 (OCVs, VVT position sensors) and checked the resistances of each part and of the harness itself. It all checked out, so I added a bit of dielectric grease to the connectors before reseating them. I undid and reseated the big, chunky connector where the engine harness meets the chassis harness and went to bed since it was late.

Woke up, car started fine and the CEL was gone.

It could have been as simple as one of the bank 1 connectors coming loose, but since they haven't been touched since the car left the factory I doubt it. My best guess is that it was the main engine+chassis plug being dirty or not seated properly since I removed it during a clutch install a couple months ago.

Thanks guys!
Funny how that happens sometimes -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Legoshi (02-14-2023)